WWE Clash Adjecent To The Castle. Drew McIntyre (almost) comes home

Jazzy G

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

You wonder what the UK did to the WWE that they never did a major one ( "One Night Only" excluded) here again? If the Network wasn't around they wouldn't even be considering this.

Did far fewer buys on Sky Box Office than expected.

The classic excuse was that they were concerned about results being leaked due to it having to air in the US on tape delay. Obviously since the network launch and OnDemand viewing things have changed.

To @air_raid’s point about the One Night Only buyrate, wasn’t Sky Box Office still relatively new at that time? I want to say the first thing shown on it was the Bruno/Tyson fight in 1996, and showed maybe another 3 or 4 more fights between then and ONO. 20,000 buys (for the UK, although the show was also available in parts of Canada) was the number being touted at the time from what I recall hearing on the New Generation Podcast.

• Paid Members

PPV was also a far deeper rooted concept in the USA. I remember Sky shifting its first Boxing cards to PPV (1996 Bruno v Tyson was it?) being met with much indignation too. 

There was a mindset that people paid enough for Sky Sports and asking them to pay more was a pisstake. (Not going to lie, there are very few PPVs that I've paid for).

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

PPV was also a far deeper rooted concept in the USA. I remember Sky shifting its first Boxing cards to PPV (1996 Bruno v Tyson was it?) being met with much indignation too. 

There was a mindset that people paid enough for Sky Sports and asking them to pay more was a pisstake. (Not going to lie, there are very few PPVs that I've paid for).

It was pretty tough getting my parents to buy any PPV when they were already shelling out for Sky Sports.

For reasons unknown when I went to One Night Only I left a tape running on Box Office so when I got home I could "watch" the snow and try and remember the matches and imagine what was happening while listening to the commentary. All those years bullied at school, its clear I deserved. Still, great show.

Wasn't Wembley though.

2 hours ago, air_raid said:

For reasons unknown when I went to One Night Only I left a tape running on Box Office so when I got home I could "watch" the snow and try and remember the matches and imagine what was happening while listening to the commentary.

At least you could do that.   I had cable in 1997 and even though my Dad was willing to pay for ONO, our cable company weren't showing it, I don't think they had PPV technology in place.  I remember my Dad saying we could get Sky Movies for a month to make up for it.

I have a memory of the TV listing mag saying that One Night Only was going to be shown on Sky Sports around 2 months later, which I'd still not seen by that point, but it never was.   I did get the VHS soon after that though.

• Paid Members

Would always forget to put my VHS tapes on 'long play' and for longer shows they'd usually cut out during one of the final matches. 

In an incredible bit of unfortunate symmetry, this happened to me during Wrestlemania 17 and 19, both for the matches between The Rock and Steve Austin. I believe the former marks the first time wrestling ever made me cry.  

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Would always forget to put my VHS tapes on 'long play' and for longer shows they'd usually cut out during one of the final matches. 

In an incredible bit of unfortunate symmetry, this happened to me during Wrestlemania 17 and 19, both for the matches between The Rock and Steve Austin. I believe the former marks the first time wrestling ever made me cry.  

I’d never forget, I’d set my timer and leave it on SP because LP provided shite quality when I’d do tape to tape for inevitable compilation or edit. However I didn’t know Mania 16 had a four hour window so it cut off right as Foley was leaving ringside with the main event down to HHH vs Rock.

Thankfully I already had the show ruined at college, going up to some gimp and asking “Did you watch it?” so I could warn “no spoilers please” for him to blurt out “I didn’t watch it but I know Triple H wins.”

On 4/22/2022 at 11:09 PM, air_raid said:

I’d never forget, I’d set my timer and leave it on SP because LP provided shite quality when I’d do tape to tape for inevitable compilation or edit. However I didn’t know Mania 16 had a four hour window so it cut off right as Foley was leaving ringside with the main event down to HHH vs Rock.

Thankfully I already had the show ruined at college, going up to some gimp and asking “Did you watch it?” so I could warn “no spoilers please” for him to blurt out “I didn’t watch it but I know Triple H wins.”

I tried to buy Rumble 03 and set it to record after doing the usual SBO ordering thing and it never took as we had to phone to order the wrestling for some reason. Everything got spoiled at school and I didn't order any ppv until Mania 24 when I could do it without ringing a call center. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, DCW said:

I willingly bought Rebellion 02 with Edge vs Heyman/Brock in the house show main event. Even 100% fanboy me at the time felt like a chump afterwards. 

The first and last UK PPV I actually paid for was No, Mercy! The undercard looked weak as piss but I was convinced they’d shake things up and add stuff on the night (as was the style at the time), not realising half the crew were on a house show Stateside and wouldn’t be on the plane. Said show of course was weak as piss and barely lasted 2 hours. I learned.