Rockbus2 Posted August 26, 2025 Posted August 26, 2025 On 8/23/2025 at 9:40 PM, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said: Was there as well. I like Luke Haines and Peter Buck but like you I preferred the Minus Five, loved them for a number of years and I thought the set was excellent. Really enjoyed how they improvised after Linda’s snare drum broke after only the first song of the Luke Haines set Highlight was meeting Scott after having a selfie and the vinyl signed On Tuesday, I saw Michael Shannon and Jason Narducy at Gorilla in Manchester perform R.E.M. Fables Of The Reconstruction as well as other R.E.M songs, mainly from the IRS years - what a night that was! I was about a foot away from Michael Shannon, someone who I have always loved as an actor, ended up getting a poster signed as well. A great week of gigs… and on a personal note, this was the busiest week I have had since my neck surgery and I was concerned that I wouldn’t make it or enjoy them, as I had to cancel seeing Wilco in June due to me not being up to it. Thankfully I seem to have come out of it pretty good with out some minor aches. I've not managed to see any of Shannon and Co gigs which is a shame. Seen the footage though and they look incredible. Gutted that Stipe the R.E.M. tribute haven't made the trip back to Cottingham for a while. They're always a good time. Quote
Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz Posted August 27, 2025 Posted August 27, 2025 On 8/26/2025 at 10:24 AM, Rockbus2 said: I've not managed to see any of Shannon and Co gigs which is a shame. Seen the footage though and they look incredible. Gutted that Stipe the R.E.M. tribute haven't made the trip back to Cottingham for a while. They're always a good time. Fables is my favourite album of the IRS era of R.E.M.and when I saw that they were playing the UK I knew I had to go. Michael Shannon did say they were planning a Life’s Rich Pageant tour next year, so fingers crossed that come across here as well. I saw the tribute Stipe at O’Rileys down Bev road about 10 years ago, was a really good night, not seen them since though. Back in 2003 at the Move festival I met the lead singer, Rick and we had a good chat about everything R.E.M. Their ex bass player, Tony Williams use to do a lot of coding for Commodore and Spectrum and I believe use to work for Codemasters doing the audio for a few games in the 90’s Quote
Panhead Posted August 31, 2025 Posted August 31, 2025 I saw Chase Petra, Soot Sprite and Ocean Floor at the Key Club in Leeds last night. I love Soot Sprite, so I wasn't going to miss seeing them playing locally. Chase Petra were really good too. I'm going to have more of a listen to them today. £16 for the ticket. You can't go wrong with that. Quote
Merzbow Posted August 31, 2025 Posted August 31, 2025 A last minute decision to go to the Saturday of Supersonic Festival, £35 instead of £70 and I even got permission to poster it with my own gig. Highlights were Aya who does the best industrial dance pop, not too unlike Sophie at times. Witch Club Satan doing the gnarliest black metal with a stage show that'll put any kvltist to shame, bassist was very, very pregnant at the time too so major props. The Hirs Collective blasting out the heaviest powerviolence with pop bangers in between, haven't headbanged like that in ages. Quote
Panhead Posted September 2, 2025 Posted September 2, 2025 Heartworms at The Trades Club in Hebden Bridge last night. It was a stunning and intense performance. Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted September 3, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 3, 2025 Dear me... Am I wrong in thinking this is overly ambitious on 2 months notice given what happened? Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted September 3, 2025 Posted September 3, 2025 Are you referencing the Jesse Lacey misconduct, or has something else happened? Unfortunately people are far too forgiving, and I’ve no doubt that these will sell well enough for them to go ahead Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted September 3, 2025 Members Posted September 3, 2025 1 hour ago, Egg Shen said: Dear me... Am I wrong in thinking this is overly ambitious on 2 months notice given what happened? As the nonce himself once said "This is...so messed up" For what it's worth, I'd probably at some point have put Deja Entendu in my top 5 albums ever, and the follow up in a top 10, and I have seen them live, but have absolutely no desire whatever to see them or hear them ever again. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted September 3, 2025 Posted September 3, 2025 14 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said: Are you referencing the Jesse Lacey misconduct, or has something else happened? No, just the noncing. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted September 3, 2025 Posted September 3, 2025 (edited) 22 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said: No, just the noncing. I’m not downplaying what he did (allegedly did? I don’t know how things turned out legally) but I know that was a few years ago and I’ve not heard anything of them for quite some time so wasn’t sure if something else had happened in the interim Edited September 3, 2025 by WyattSheepMask A very important use of “not” needed to be added Quote
DavidB6937 Posted September 3, 2025 Posted September 3, 2025 3 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said: I’m downplaying what he did (allegedly did? I don’t know how things turned out legally) but I know that was a few years ago and I’ve not heard anything of them for quite some time so wasn’t sure if something else had happened in the interim Most recent thing I remember reading was this earlier in the year: https://www.nme.com/news/music/brand-news-jesse-lacey-faces-fresh-grooming-allegation-ahead-of-bands-comeback-tour-3852208 Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted September 3, 2025 Members Posted September 3, 2025 Radiohead are playing some shows. https://radiohead.com/ Quote
Paid Members Gus Mears Posted September 3, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 3, 2025 I'm going to try and fail to get tickets. I wish it wasn't at the O2. An awful venue with acoustics like the inside of my bog. Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted September 4, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 4, 2025 Brand New were a big band for us at University. I’ve had a few old housemates ask if we were going to go. I’m afraid I’ve got some bad news. Quote
d-d-d-dAz Posted September 5, 2025 Posted September 5, 2025 On 9/3/2025 at 5:04 PM, Gus Mears said: I'm going to try and fail to get tickets. I wish it wasn't at the O2. An awful venue with acoustics like the inside of my bog. The pre-sale registration thing, whilst well intention, has been an absolute faff. 'Registration opens at 10am' Great! 'Only register once' Got it. 'The registration is only confirmed once you click on the link in a text message we'll send in the next few hours?' Sorry. Few hours? How will I know it's gone th... 'Nevermind that, once you click the link we'll confirm your registration via email. That could take another few hours.' 'trific. ...Just put the sodding things on sale FFS. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.