Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
22 hours ago, I Bent My Wookie said:

I did not see Accident Prone sadly (sober anyhow, the nights may have been different) but there's every possibility he saw the boiling hot, mess of a human I was trudging around.

Here's me finding the quickest way out of the Vukovi mosh pit.

Trees was wonderful. Fully recommend Venus Grrrls to everyone.

received_2848319245368665.jpeg

And I Failed You The Dark Knight Rises GIF

I was looking at every stage, and you should've been easy to spot, but we must've kept missing each other. It's a shame, as I was waiting for my chance to shout about Kwesh as loud as humanly fucking possible.

Great weekend at trees. I saw Battle Snake on @Merzbow's recc and they were brilliant. Kneecap were aggressively average, I don't see the big deal with them but I am also old.

Mclusky absolutely smashed it, a furious fucking set, loved it. Getting to see Kevin Devine was fantastic too, and Coheed are just incredibly dependable when it comes to putting on a great set. Future Of The Left we're good but I excepted that after seeing Mclusky.

Taking Back Sunday...well fuck me, Adam is washed. His voice is shot to shit. Sounds like he has a lot of digital help and trickery, and even then it makes you grimace. Thankfully the crowd saved it, but yeah RIP to an all-timer. I saw Clobber and FIDLAR earlier in the same day and they both took little digs at TBS during their sets (the singer of Clobber straight-up said that TBS were shit live, which was mean/funny). We've all got to hang it up some day, so I'll be there at the inevitable TBS retirement tour but can't see me heading to one of their gigs again unless the surrounding line-up deems it worthy.

Failstate, La Dispute, Dangerous Summer, Ben Brown, Vower and letlive were great too. Sparta didn't sound great, so I left their set midway through despite wanting to see them. The energy of their records just wasn't there. Alexisonfire put on an excellent live show but I'm still not convinced by them being this all-timer. I've always found them to be fine, but man people fucking LOVE them.

Solo camping was a fun experience, I ended up with a really nice group of people who I'll probably camp with again. It also allowed me to bounce around the gaff and see who I wanted to see whenever I wanted. The after hours busking was really fun as well, I saw a few acts that I'll be researching again, but I didn't really bother with the silent disco.

Despite taking well over three hours to get out of the car park on Sunday morning (no fucking joke, what the absolute fuck) I'm well up for going next year if the line-up is good.

8.5/10, would fest again.

  • Paid Members
Posted
5 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Thanks, daz. I play folk, mainly, with the odd country track thrown in.

Good stuff Carbomb - is this something totally new to you or an evolution of stuff you've done before?

I've been getting out on my own (mostly - occasionally my friend Paul joins me on guitar/mandolin/lap steel if he's free) playing country stuff for the last year or so. I've sung in bands off and on since my early teens but was always a bit frustrated at relying on other people (and not being able to play quite what I wanted) so resolved to finally learn to play guitar about 2 1/2 years ago. Now there's nothing stopping me playing easy 3-chords Outlaw country songs no-one knows! Stretched to an 11 song set a couple of weekends ago which is my longest so far.

Break a leg!

  • Paid Members
Posted
4 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Yeah they're always a pleasure to deal with, not to shill but this is this next gig I'm helping put on. You've likely seen viral videos of him over the past few years.

spacer.png

Crikey. I follow him on Instagram. I'm not quite sure what i'm watching, but it does intrigue me.

How long does a set generally last?

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

 

Taking Back Sunday...well fuck me, Adam is washed. His voice is shot to shit. Sounds like he has a lot of digital help and trickery, and even then it makes you grimace.l

Taking Back Sundays live performances are about as panned as any big bands that I can remember. Im not even a big fan but any talking of the band is always followed by "...but they're shit live".

I do watch random bits and pieces and I always feel Adam Lazarra performs the way he does on purpose. Lots of people think he's off his tits, but I think it's just a bit of a performance.

 

Posted
16 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Crikey. I follow him on Instagram. I'm not quite sure what i'm watching, but it does intrigue me.

How long does a set generally last?

Anywhere between 15 minutes to over an hour but usually in the 20's. I've seen him 4 times already and it never gets old, he somehow makes it different each time.

The supports are great here too, and I'm not just saying so because they're close pals and I *may* be playing a cameo at some point.

  • Paid Members
Posted
Just now, Merzbow said:

Anywhere between 15 minutes to over an hour but usually in the 20's. I've seen him 4 times already and it never gets old, he somehow makes it different each time.

The supports are great here too, and I'm not just saying so because they're close pals and I *may* be playing a cameo at some point.

Hows the general reaction when he plays? Suppose the crowd know what they are in for.

Posted

Yeah people know but there's always a mix of "what the fuck is happening??" to noiseheads rocking out. Crowds are always very varied, the last one I played with him in Coventry had people from pretty much every bacjground you could imagine, was great to see.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, Statto said:

Good stuff Carbomb - is this something totally new to you or an evolution of stuff you've done before?

I've been getting out on my own (mostly - occasionally my friend Paul joins me on guitar/mandolin/lap steel if he's free) playing country stuff for the last year or so. I've sung in bands off and on since my early teens but was always a bit frustrated at relying on other people (and not being able to play quite what I wanted) so resolved to finally learn to play guitar about 2 1/2 years ago. Now there's nothing stopping me playing easy 3-chords Outlaw country songs no-one knows! Stretched to an 11 song set a couple of weekends ago which is my longest so far.

Break a leg!

Thanks, Statto!

The setlist is mostly stuff that I know, but with some additions that I sing but not necessarily to audiences previously. I either accompany myself with the mandolin, or I sing a capella, which has become a bit of a signature for me. It helps to stand out in a scene of lots of solo singer-songwriters; because it's so unusual, it immediately grabs people's attention when you're singing unaccompanied.

At some point, I will invest in either getting my cheapo, factory-damaged octave mandolin fixed and set up as a left-handed one (my mandolin is the only proper, purpose-built left-handed instrument I've ever bought; all the others are re-strung right-handers), or I will save up a ton of cash and buy a brand-new, handcrafted one from Paul Hathway that I bought my mandolin from. Octave mandolins are gorgeous instruments - a bit like an Irish bouzouki, but a lighter sound, so a lot more versatile for accompaniment and melody/ornamentation.

Sounds good! Should have some jam sessions - dunno about yourself, but I've found the quickest way I improve is playing alongside others. A bit like learning languages: immersion is the best method.

 

  • Members
Posted

My eldest saw Billie Eilish on Sunday. Waited around 18 months for it to come around, queued from 10am (5pm doors) and was rewarded by being on the barrier at side of the stage where she got to see Billie right in front of her ("I swear she looked at ME Dad") 

Asked where it ranks in gigs she's been to, and Billie has usurped Taylor! I never thought I'd see the day. Just so pleased that her perseverance of queuing paid off and she was rewarded with such a great spot and its nice to hear all about that kind of fandom in a non-cynical way. 

IMG-20250714-WA0012.thumb.jpg.fb84de411d6d12e7c3a7c287954ea924.jpg

Next up for her, a Smiths tribute band with me. Sure it'll be as equally well received.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I'm going to this, wonder if she'll do Heaven is a Place on Earth on her "Heavenly Hits" tour. I splashed out on the most expensive ticket and an obscenely priced meet and greet upgrade so I will finally meet the great woman. Love the support as well

nhjjvsert.thumb.jpg.0f40b5ef2667cde105c2545d7fd437cd.jpg

 

On 7/15/2025 at 10:04 AM, SuperBacon said:

Next up for her, a Smiths tribute band with me. Sure it'll be as equally well received.

Is it the Smyths? They're great if so.

Posted

Tried getting tickets for Deftones in Cardiff when they went on sale this morning and Ticketmaster had other ideas. Would let me put a ticket in the basket but not check out with them, after trying for 10 minutes it kicked me out to the back of the queue. I waited for 15 minutes to get back in but had to jump on a work call so had to abandon the queue. Just got off the work call and straight back to Ticketmaster and it looks like Cardiff is now sold out. 
 

Gutted to miss out on tickets, been so long since I’ve seen them, fingers crossed more tickets get added that aren’t 300% of face value! 

Posted
22 minutes ago, Bruce85 said:

Tried getting tickets for Deftones in Cardiff when they went on sale this morning and Ticketmaster had other ideas. Would let me put a ticket in the basket but not check out with them, after trying for 10 minutes it kicked me out to the back of the queue. I waited for 15 minutes to get back in but had to jump on a work call so had to abandon the queue. Just got off the work call and straight back to Ticketmaster and it looks like Cardiff is now sold out. 
 

Gutted to miss out on tickets, been so long since I’ve seen them, fingers crossed more tickets get added that aren’t 300% of face value! 

Oh fuck. I was looking at tickets yesterday morning and nothing was sold out. My mate agreed to go last night so I log on to buy them this morning and they've all gone. Damn it.

  • Members
Posted

There is a date between the Cardiff and London shows where they could add a date (or more likely they won't as Chino needs to rest his voice these days, which is fair enough)

If not, I reckon Twickets will come up trumps for this. Keep the faith lads.

  • Paid Members
Posted
19 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I'm going to this, wonder if she'll do Heaven is a Place on Earth on her "Heavenly Hits" tour.

Doesn't she always?  I'll wave to you from the cheap seats BC.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...