Members SuperBacon Posted September 5, 2025 Members Posted September 5, 2025 This is what you get... Quote
The Gaffer Posted September 5, 2025 Posted September 5, 2025 On the subject of Radiohead - more of a general grumble as I'm sure there's some merit to giving the obsessives something to play along with - but pretendy "Ooh what's this leaflet? What's going on here then?" guerilla marketing drops from massive bands is getting a bit long in the tooth now as well. It was cool when Aphex Twin and a few others were doing it around the time the iPod came out but just announce the thing and sell tickets for the thing. Quote
d-d-d-dAz Posted September 5, 2025 Posted September 5, 2025 1 hour ago, The Gaffer said: On the subject of Radiohead - more of a general grumble as I'm sure there's some merit to giving the obsessives something to play along with - but pretendy "Ooh what's this leaflet? What's going on here then?" guerilla marketing drops from massive bands is getting a bit long in the tooth now as well. It was cool when Aphex Twin and a few others were doing it around the time the iPod came out but just announce the thing and sell tickets for the thing. Couldn't. Agree. More. It feels like everyone is doing stuff just to be seen to be doing something to make things 'fair'. It's not fair. Purchasing tickets for a band where demand is higher than supply will always be fundamentally unfair to someone. Just put the fucking things on sale, and in the mean time have the tech people at ticketmaster or whoever work on a proper system for blocking bots. But having to decipher riddles or complete puzzles or jump through hoops to buy tickets for anything is just annoying. All the while, people with more money will just circumvent the nonsense anyway and just buy from seat unique or somewhere. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted September 5, 2025 Members Posted September 5, 2025 1 hour ago, The Gaffer said: On the subject of Radiohead - more of a general grumble as I'm sure there's some merit to giving the obsessives something to play along with - but pretendy "Ooh what's this leaflet? What's going on here then?" guerilla marketing drops from massive bands is getting a bit long in the tooth now as well. It was cool when Aphex Twin and a few others were doing it around the time the iPod came out but just announce the thing and sell tickets for the thing. My biggest gripe is the flyers for London were in the Barbican, and the gigs aren't there! Boooooooo. Quote
organizedkaos Posted September 5, 2025 Posted September 5, 2025 Isn't the Radiohead thing just some extra checks to try and avoid touting that take a few moments to happen because they're probably running it off their own servers rather than TicketMaster. Sure it was a touch faff but I had to enter my e-mail address (took 30 seconds), click a link in my phone (took 30 seconds) and then enter my e-mail address again (took 30 seconds). Sure, those 1.5 minutes were spread out across my working day but there's a big ole window to get this sorted. I mean I didn't even have to work out if the motorcycle handlebars count as a motorcycle or whether if a 5% of a zebra crossing in a box counts as "containing" I didn't have to play some ARG or anything? I'm assuming that was some promotional thing which yeah.. is a bit done and dusted at this point but isn't a requisite for purchase. If it gets the die hards excited, whatever, joy is hard to come by in this world, let people play their games as long as I don't have to join in. I don't think TicketMaster or any of the other legitimate ticket leeches give a toss about illegitimate ticket leeches because it doesn't affect their bottom line and thing about leeches is that's the only thing that matters. They're never gonna do anything other than pay lip service to avoiding bots if it means they get to sell tickets to a band that allows them to abitrarily add 20 quid to the ticket price. Sure everything is a bit unfair and 85 quid tickets is pricing out many people, which sucks. But you know what also sucks? 200 quid tickets where 115 of those pounds goes to some dickhead who programmed a script. Or people who have certain jobs (often, you know, care jobs) that mean they can't be at a computer at 9am on the dot not being able to get tickets. I'm sure there's a better way but to be honest, so far, this is the best way I've seen so far (assuming it does actually weed out the touts) Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted September 5, 2025 Members Posted September 5, 2025 4 minutes ago, organizedkaos said: the motorcycle handlebars count as a motorcycle or whether if a 5% of a zebra crossing in a box counts as "containing" Sounds like a lyric off Amnesiac. Quote
d-d-d-dAz Posted September 5, 2025 Posted September 5, 2025 50 minutes ago, organizedkaos said: Isn't the Radiohead thing just some extra checks to try and avoid touting that take a few moments to happen because they're probably running it off their own servers rather than TicketMaster. Sure it was a touch faff but I had to enter my e-mail address (took 30 seconds), click a link in my phone (took 30 seconds) and then enter my e-mail address again (took 30 seconds). Sure, those 1.5 minutes were spread out across my working day but there's a big ole window to get this sorted. I mean I didn't even have to work out if the motorcycle handlebars count as a motorcycle or whether if a 5% of a zebra crossing in a box counts as "containing" I didn't have to play some ARG or anything? I'm assuming that was some promotional thing which yeah.. is a bit done and dusted at this point but isn't a requisite for purchase. If it gets the die hards excited, whatever, joy is hard to come by in this world, let people play their games as long as I don't have to join in. I don't think TicketMaster or any of the other legitimate ticket leeches give a toss about illegitimate ticket leeches because it doesn't affect their bottom line and thing about leeches is that's the only thing that matters. They're never gonna do anything other than pay lip service to avoiding bots if it means they get to sell tickets to a band that allows them to abitrarily add 20 quid to the ticket price. Sure everything is a bit unfair and 85 quid tickets is pricing out many people, which sucks. But you know what also sucks? 200 quid tickets where 115 of those pounds goes to some dickhead who programmed a script. Or people who have certain jobs (often, you know, care jobs) that mean they can't be at a computer at 9am on the dot not being able to get tickets. I'm sure there's a better way but to be honest, so far, this is the best way I've seen so far (assuming it does actually weed out the touts) I think you're right to a point, but anything that involves waiting for confirmation should be seamless and quick. If you need me to do verify via text message and then email, or whatever, then use a system that triggers them quickly and can handle a large volume of requests. I should add, that im driven to the absolute brink of despair and anxiety by anything uncertain or unknown. I can handle a clear 'tickets are on sale, I didn't get a ticket, that's sad' just fine; a day of 'I've registered, I think? Have I? Should I do it again? Oh God what if I miss out' is not a fun day for me. Quote
organizedkaos Posted September 5, 2025 Posted September 5, 2025 Fair, the fact they said "this will take hours" shows they knew their system couldn't handle the expected requests. Having said that I find the systems that don't say that, act like it'll be quick and you get your email hours later much more annoying for that uncertainty anxiety. Also, to the greater point, this is happening right now https://forms.office.com/e/0d5QkWMs7u . Never quite believe much comes of these things but it's 5 minutes of your time and it's always worth trying to make things better Quote
Panhead Posted September 8, 2025 Posted September 8, 2025 I saw Blondshell at The Brudenell in Leeds last night. Westside Cowboy were supporting. Both were excellent. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted September 10, 2025 Members Posted September 10, 2025 System of a Down and Queens of the Stone Age are playing at Spurs next summer, 13th July. Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol, K-k-k-k-kaaaaaaaane. Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted September 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 10, 2025 And weirdly, Acid Bath opening. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted September 10, 2025 Members Posted September 10, 2025 3 minutes ago, Egg Shen said: And weirdly, Acid Bath opening. Many time when I've been to Spurs, I've wished for an acid bath to be fair... Quote
The Gaffer Posted September 10, 2025 Posted September 10, 2025 1 hour ago, SuperBacon said: System of a Down and Queens of the Stone Age are playing at Spurs next summer, 13th July. Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol, K-k-k-k-kaaaaaaaane. Goal conversion, software version 7.0 Looking at life through the eyes of a spreadsheet Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted September 10, 2025 Posted September 10, 2025 Of all the venues I could’ve guessed for Acid Bath to finally come over to play in the UK, never in a billion years would I have guessed it to be an 63,000 seater stadium. QOTSA are the most boring band on the planet though Quote
CTXRussomark Posted September 10, 2025 Posted September 10, 2025 27 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said: QOTSA are the most boring band on the planet though Yep, I think I'll actually give this a miss as I'm not paying whatever the insane prices will be with them being one of the main acts. They played the worst headline slot I've ever seen at Download last year and, though I'd love to see SOAD, I'm not willing to go through that again. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.