Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted August 14, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 14, 2025 1 hour ago, Tamura said: Support band Telepathy were really good too. I already knew you were going to say that. Quote
Panhead Posted August 16, 2025 Posted August 16, 2025 I went to see Ultra Sunn in Leeds last night. I didn't know much by them, I went to see the support band La Rissa. It was ridiculously warm, but a good show. Quote
huwbacca Posted August 17, 2025 Posted August 17, 2025 Well i can officially check Acid Bath off my list of bands that got away. Nevermore Hall in Baltimore is a cracking venue but it was rammed to the gills and hot as hell in there. Each band seemed to get progressively louder and heavier so im very glad in my old age i always bring earplugs. Wind Hand particularly were amazing and just a wall of doom, i will be investing in some of their work when time permits. High on Fire were as usual stellar and their drummer was hitting the kit so hard it must have owed him money. As for Acid Bath.... I'm honestly blown away by how tight they were last night and Dax's voice was in amazing form. I was kind of expecting him to struggle with the heavier sections given he hasn't really been doing any vocals that required that in years but he was belting out the screams like it was still the early 90s. The band genuinely seemed to be enjoying playing and were blown away by the crowd reaction they quiet rightly got. Also some maniac dressed as a banana was repeatedly crowd surfing away during their set which made me laugh far more than it should have. Top night all round! Quote
Panhead Posted August 20, 2025 Posted August 20, 2025 I saw As December Falls play an acoustic in-store at Crash Records in Leeds yesterday. They did a Q&A and signing after too. It was really good. Definitely one of the smallest gigs I've ever been to. They're thoroughly lovely people too. Quote
organizedkaos Posted August 20, 2025 Posted August 20, 2025 Here are some things I've seen in the last few months that were excellent. Some are still touring 1. For those I love - Go and listen to for those I love, it's amazing. Like The Streets but Irish and about your friend commiting suicide and how men need to talk about their feelings 2. Beth Gibbons - Recorded it's not bad, live it's goosebumps. She'll play a portishead song too, don't worry 3. Rois - Electro drone irish funeral wailing, genuinely quite amazing if you're on that sort of wavelength. The live show is a trip 4. Avawaves - Soundtracks to films not made, lovely. More people should like this 5. Kneecap - Recent stuff has rather overblown them but they're still pretty great. Top energy and ridiculously fun beats 6. Kelly Lee Owens - Super energy, music is a pretty neat mix of heavy modern techno and bits of eurodance cheese. I like that she sounds like welsh Julee Cruise 7. Sasha and Digweed - It's was nice to hear a full prog house set basically in the afternoon. Very up for this old age clubbing thing Also Cascada is a better live act in the year 2025 than Neil Young. I have no emotional connection to either act nor much childhood memories so I can confidently say this is an objective fact. Quote
Ironic Indie Lad Posted August 22, 2025 Posted August 22, 2025 (edited) Saw AC/DC at Murrayfield Stadium in Edinburgh yesterday. This was a bucket list one for my wife, she grew up in South Africa so hasn't had anywhere close to the opportunities I've had to see her favourite artists. AC/DC is her favourite band of all time. I managed to get some tickets for her birthday when they went on sale back in February so needless to say she was absolutely buzzing. We had pretty decent seats in the lower tier of the west stand. Row E so high enough to see over everyone in standing without being up in the gods. It was PACKED in there. Every seat full and the standing area was rammed right up to the very back of the stadium. It sold out instantly even with high prices. Every single time more tickets became available, they were gone in seconds. They could have easily done two sold out nights. I was amazed as Brian Johnson (77) sounded pretty good! He also looked like he was having the time of his life. Angus Young (70 but looks 90!) has as much energy as ever. Going in, I assumed this was them on their absolute last legs. Having seen the show, I honestly think they have another world tour in them in a couple of years time. The show is all about them now and you barely get a glimpse of the current touring rhythm guitar player, bassist or drummer on the screens. Production was great with different coloured lighting to fit the songs, lot of augmented reality stuff on the screens, pyro, cannons, confetti etc. Setlist was everything you need really. I don't think too many are clamouring for deep cuts and rarities out of AC/DC and all the hits were there. People lost their minds for Back in Black, Thunderstruck, Highway to Hell, Shoot to Thrill, Whole Lotta Rosie, Dirty Deeds, TNT. They did play over 2 hours and they could probably have done a tight 90 mins and got away with it. They started the encore by playing the Bonnie Banks o' Loch Lomond (or Bonny as its listed on the 1991 live album) and I got a bit teary. For full context, I grew up within a mile of Loch Lomond. Brilliant night made all the more enjoyable as my wife was clearly having the absolute time of her life. Edited August 22, 2025 by Ironic Indie Lad Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted August 22, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 22, 2025 (edited) Went to see The Get Up Kids the other night perform 'Something to Write Home About' in full. I'm pretty sure I bought the album on release day 25 years ago, and I reckon it's been easily 10 years since I listened to it last. So hearing it live brought back all sorted of happy memories. Lovely stuff, great band. Edited August 22, 2025 by Egg Shen Quote
Rockbus2 Posted August 23, 2025 Posted August 23, 2025 Saw Luke Haines and Peter Buck in the rather sedate Pocklington Arts Centre last night. Enjoyable but their collaboration albums are a little too psychedelic for my taste. What was much more up my street was the same band supporting themselves as the Minus Five, led by former R.E.M. touring guitarist Scott McCaughey. Always loved his work so nice to see him perform some of those songs, and their new album Oar On, Penelope! is an absolute cracker. Quote
Merzbow Posted August 23, 2025 Posted August 23, 2025 Low key shilling my own gig here but my first pro-ish poster I've made for one, I usually just do A4's on the Uni printer but got these done on nice silk finished A3 paper. The great record store Just Dropped In were more than happy to stick one up. Quote
Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz Posted August 23, 2025 Posted August 23, 2025 (edited) 6 hours ago, Rockbus2 said: Saw Luke Haines and Peter Buck in the rather sedate Pocklington Arts Centre last night. Enjoyable but their collaboration albums are a little too psychedelic for my taste. What was much more up my street was the same band supporting themselves as the Minus Five, led by former R.E.M. touring guitarist Scott McCaughey. Always loved his work so nice to see him perform some of those songs, and their new album Oar On, Penelope! is an absolute cracker. Was there as well. I like Luke Haines and Peter Buck but like you I preferred the Minus Five, loved them for a number of years and I thought the set was excellent. Really enjoyed how they improvised after Linda’s snare drum broke after only the first song of the Luke Haines set Highlight was meeting Scott after having a selfie and the vinyl signed On Tuesday, I saw Michael Shannon and Jason Narducy at Gorilla in Manchester perform R.E.M. Fables Of The Reconstruction as well as other R.E.M songs, mainly from the IRS years - what a night that was! I was about a foot away from Michael Shannon, someone who I have always loved as an actor, ended up getting a poster signed as well. A great week of gigs… and on a personal note, this was the busiest week I have had since my neck surgery and I was concerned that I wouldn’t make it or enjoy them, as I had to cancel seeing Wilco in June due to me not being up to it. Thankfully I seem to have come out of it pretty good with out some minor aches. Edited August 23, 2025 by Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz Quote
Paid Members JLM Posted August 24, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 24, 2025 (edited) Khruangbin at the Piece Hall in Halifax tonight. Beautiful standing only courtyard. Gorgeous summer evening, little bit of mandy, my best friend with me and a whole group of randoms who just bonded with us via the medium of psychedelic funk. I chose this over Forbidden Door this evening as myself and my best friend have birthdays one day apart at the end of August and always make sure to do a thing together. I have EXTREME Forbidden Door envy, but this was a beautiful evening and I don’t regret it. Edited August 25, 2025 by JLM Quote
Panhead Posted August 25, 2025 Posted August 25, 2025 6 hours ago, JLM said: Khruangbin at the Piece Hall in Halifax tonight. Beautiful standing only courtyard. Gorgeous summer evening, little bit of mandy, my best friend with me and a whole group of randoms who just bonded with us via the medium of psychedelic funk. I chose this over Forbidden Door this evening as myself and my best friend have birthdays one day apart at August and always make sure to do a thing together. I have EXTREME Forbidden Door envy, but this was a beautiful evening and I don’t regret it. Is it not just the most stunning venue? I've seen so many amazing artists there over the last few years including Queens Of The Stone Age, boygenius, Deftones, Korn, Biffy Clyro and loads more. It's a 10 minute drive from my house too. I'm so lucky to have it there. Quote
Paid Members JLM Posted August 25, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 25, 2025 It really is. Quite a few of us were first timers and spent a lot of time during the evening just gawping, mesmerised by how lovely the setting was. Couldn’t think of a better way to see this band in particular too, outside on a beautiful summer evening. I’m only based in Leeds myself so it’s just up the road. Not sure why I left it so long to see a show there but I will be back! Quote
deathrey Posted August 25, 2025 Posted August 25, 2025 I'm yet to do a concert at the Piece Hall, I've only ever visited it during the day, it really is stunning. It was a genius idea from the council and the Trust to regenerate it and use it as a music venue, I don't think there is anything else quite like it in the region Quote
Panhead Posted August 25, 2025 Posted August 25, 2025 I can't believe they nearly pulled it down! It's regeneration has been amazing. You can really tell how much the artists that play there appreciate it too. Halifax is nice and compact too. There's an incredible Greek takeaway just a few minutes walk from The Piece Hall. I went to Leeds Festival for the day, yesterday. I saw some great sets from Pale Waves, Sunday(1994), Limp Bizkit. I fell in the pit for Bring Me The Horizon. Must have had 5 or 6 people land on me. I survived though! Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.