Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

21 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I posted a whole back about getting accessible tickets at Manchester Academy for Frank Turner, and how the venues had few provisions for accessibility. The example being at Bowling For Soup / Less Than Jake their family members were “Up in the balcony” which is the accessible tickets space so disabled people had to make way. Well I managed to get tickets for the Dropkick Murphys and the woman who helped was brilliant. 

I think the situation you found with the Frank Turner tickets was pretty much widespread for everyone, judging by the comments on his Instagram posts. Standard tickets were selling out within minutes. For some reason he's decided to do a tour of smaller venues. He's publicly said Nottingham Rock City was his favourite venue in the UK, and he's sold out there many times before. But he's playing The Rescue Rooms next door which holds 500 people. If he was playing Manchester Academy 1, you would probably had better luck with accessibility tickets. But as he's playing the smaller Academy 2, they obviously don't have as much in place to accommodate.

Glad you got tickets for Dropkick Murphys.

Just now, Rossman said:

I think the situation you found with the Frank Turner tickets was pretty much widespread for everyone, judging by the comments on his Instagram posts. Standard tickets were selling out within minutes. For some reason he's decided to do a tour of smaller venues. He's publicly said Nottingham Rock City was his favourite venue in the UK, and he's sold out there many times before. But he's playing The Rescue Rooms next door which holds 500 people. If he was playing Manchester Academy 1, you would probably had better luck with accessibility tickets. But as he's playing the smaller Academy 2, they obviously don't have as much in place to accommodate.

Glad you got tickets for Dropkick Murphys.

Yeah we were surprised when we saw the venues he was playing, guess he fancied a smaller tour for old times sake. Fair enough really, it’s not like he plays once in a blue moon!

• Awards Moderator
On 5/17/2024 at 11:12 PM, Frankie Crisp said:

Impulse overnight trip to Cologne just booked to see Tom Morello in late June. I just need to fabricate a client in Germany to justify it.

Found out the other day that England play in Cologne the night before this, so the city will no doubt be swarming with not-rights the day I’m due to land. I’m probably going to give this a wide berth now as I can’t be arsed getting caught up with the lads lads lads on tour.

In better news, Two Feet announced an unexpected gig the other day for early July and I nabbed a ticket; it’ll be a belter if it’s anywhere near as good as his turn last August.

Posted (edited)

I don't get out to gigs much now but i'll be in the White Hotel in Salford in a few days I think and i'll be seeing Wolf Eyes who I haven't seen for about 11 years . They had a guitarist back then whos since left and in the interim they seem to have been creating a lot of Mulligan & O'Hare tier experimental pipe instruments from lengths of drains.

Last time they played the main guy had a weird mixer or pedal type thing worn like a bum bag and for the entire, entire full legitimte set, he stood in one position on stage and did this step forward, a step back into position, and then a step back while headbanging over this miserable terrifying drone that kept getting louder and louder like he was James Hetfield in 1988. After it all they had a load of charity shop tshirts sprayed with the band name over on the merch table.

Fake edit - nearly pressed post but I remembered - last time as the unremarkable crowd was filling in four lads dressed in full KISS regalia stood at the front right up against the barrier giving it bifters and going mad

Edited by Cannibal Man

Liam Gallagher was brilliant last night in Sheffield. As I mentioned previously it was my 15 year old sons first proper gig so I dragged him to the front, 3 or 4 people from the barrier. When the crowd is singing along full belt to the songs on tape building to him coming on stage (I Am The Ressurection in particular) you know you're in for a good time.

The Stone Island Owners Club were out in force and coked out of their gills, I think the sniff kicked in around Cigarettes and Alcohol when a bunch of 40 something year olds hurtled toward the stage leaving a few 14 year old girls with expressions like they'd been on The Somme. Mostly well behaved crowd, bit of jostling but no fighting or anything. The smoke bomb going off 15 seconds in could have been the precursor to a totally different vibe.

Liam was on top form, snarled his way through the set and made it look like he was the coolest man alive. I know folk think he's a twat but from stories off mates that have met him I reckon he's got a heart of gold. Couldn't help falling for the swagger. Noel though, absolute bellend. The whole band sounded grand, string section for Whatever and I Am The Walrus just tipped it over the edge, especially with the psychedelic production throughout.

They played Definitely Maybe in full, out of order though but with era-appropriate B sides spliced in. We jumped around like dickheads a few times and generally had the best time. Standing with my arm around my son singing Slide Away and Live Forever together is something I'm never going to forget. Six stars.

Posted (edited)

Can concur.

Cast were decent support as well - a half hour greatest hits set. John Power always seems like a decent bloke.

But as for Liam. Obviously being a Gallagher Fanboy I was bound to like it, and it didn't disappoint. The Supersonic/Slide Away/Live Forever encore genuinely took me back to a simpler time and you can easily lose yourself in the moment. That's the first time I've seen Bonehead in about 25 years as he had the health scare and missed the last gig I saw of Liam.

Amazing.

Edited by Max Power

6 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Does he play any of his own songs or is it just Oasis stuff?

This was the 30th Year Anniversary of the first Oasis album - so was just that album in full with a few B Sides of the time scattered in.

Usually he plays a mixture of his own stuff and the Oasis songs that are more "his" than Noel's - think Morning Glory, Stand By Me, Some Might Say etc.

His shows are better than Noel's at the minute I think - but then I'm a 41 year old man clinging onto my late teens.

I've just come on to say very similar things about Liam Gallagher on Saturday - it was absolutely amazing. Not remotely fussed about his lads band that opened, but I though Cast were great in their slot - even their newer stuff didn't stick out like a sore thumb amongst the classics. 

Went to see Tool in Manchester on Saturday night.

Felt a bit odd as I was in almost exactly the same seat as I was for the 2022 tour. 

Enjoyed this one more than the last one - Jambi, Rosetta Stoned and Aenima are among by favourite Tool songs so that was nice. Sweat and Flood were quite unexpected choices as well. Could have done without many of the same songs from Fear Inoculum being played again though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Saw Rammstein in Barcelona last night. Despite it pissing down in an open air stadium all night, they still put on a great show. Although regretting only bringing one pair of jeans and shoes with me.

• Paid Members

Going to see Hieroglyphics in Manchester tonight. I've never seen Del before so am pretty excited. Gig's been downgraded from the Ritz to Gorilla, must've sold terribly. Still, 10pm curfew for the win.

Just got tickets for Joey Valence & Brae too. £18 a pop feels like an absolute steal in the current climate. 

59 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Gig's been downgraded from the Ritz to Gorilla, must've sold terribly. Still, 10pm curfew for the win.

I've just looked this up and a 1500 capacity seems incredibly ambitious for them. I love them but they were always going to struggle to fill that, plus that smaller venue looks wicked and they're great live.

Enjoy mate!

• Paid Members

Have landed two more gigs. Thrilled to bits.

One is at the East Barnet Festival on 28th June, and then we're back at FinFest on 9th June - those of you who pay any attention to the bollocks I post subscribe to my newsletter will know that, last year, we played a gig on a full festival set-up on one of the days that Festival Republic had set aside to allow local artists to use as a bribe to Haringey Council to let them continue running events in Finsbury Park.

We had a great time (how many non-pro bands ever get to play on a festival stage with a whole pro sound crew and set-up with lasers and smoke machines?), but we got completely bombed out by the worst possible weather, with about twelve people in attendance for all the artists performing, so we figured we'd tap them again to see if they'd give us a second bite of the cherry, and lo and behold: they did. Really chuffed. 

Massively looking forward to this. Hopefully the weather will be decent and we'll have a crowd.