General Disney Hate Thread

Devon Malcolm

1 minute ago, chokeout said:

Michael Caine made a career of being a paycheck actor, rarely turning down a job, regardless of how shit it might be. Most famously he wasn't available to collect his Oscar for Hannah and her sisters because he was off fighting a shonky looking shark in Jaws The Revenge. 

https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch?role=nm0000323&job_type=actor

Ironically its only since his involvement with Christopher Nolan and the Batman films that he's been more picky with roles (still makes some shit mind) 

“I haven’t seen Jaws The Revenge, I believe it’s awful. I have seen the house it paid for, which is beautiful”. Apparently he signed for the film after reading the first line of the script as it mentioned Hawaii and he’d never been. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, chokeout said:

Michael Caine made a career of being a paycheck actor, rarely turning down a job, regardless of how shit it might be. Most famously he wasn't available to collect his Oscar for Hannah and her sisters because he was off fighting a shonky looking shark in Jaws The Revenge. 

https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch?role=nm0000323&job_type=actor

Ironically its only since his involvement with Christopher Nolan and the Batman films that he's been more picky with roles (still makes some shit mind) 

Mostly Christopher Nolan films.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Mostly Christopher Nolan films.

Totally off topic and the polar opposite of this discussion but Nolan seems to have lost his mind with his demands for his next film. Having people call him out for Tenant being so meh seems to have broken him. 

• Moderators

I don't understand the detail enough to know if the specific values of those demands are particularly ridiculous but it does seem to me that it's generally a bit of a free for all at the minute in terms of how to react to streaming, and that everyone is trying to figure out how to navigate that with respects to protecting their creative vision and profits. In that context it doesn't seem completely ludicrous.

....and in that roundabout way, we return to the original topic of the thread.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Such as?

A 'smaller' ÂŁ100million budget with a match for marketing

20% of first dollar gross (essentially 20% of everything it earns, rather than the classic sneaky studio % after the film turns a profit) 

Neither of which is out of the ordinary, although the 20% is high. The OTT ones are:

The studio cannot release any other films 3 weeks before or 3 weeks after the movies release and have to guarantee a 100 day theatrical window. Disney are currently trying to reduce the window as much as possible, moving from the same day for Covid releases to 45 days now. Paramount and Warner are doing similar. 

This means that, depending on when the film is released it will be the studios only new income for a 6 week period, which would just about be acceptable for something with mass appeal but the film is a drama about the Manhatten Project. I'm assuming they'll aim for the quieter end of the year / Oscar nom time but can totally see why bigger studios basically told him to do one. 

• Paid Members

I really don't care about Nolan. He's hit or miss imo. But considering what happened to Tenet (as a guineepig) and Scarlet suing over Black Widow I'd probably throw my weight around too. 

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, DEF said:

I really don't care about Nolan. He's hit or miss imo. But considering what happened to Tenet (as a guineepig) and Scarlet suing over Black Widow I'd probably throw my weight around too. 

What happened to Tenet? He forced Warner’s to release that into cinemas when they had asked to both delay it, or release it on premium VOD and Cinemas at the same time and he told them to jog on. He was going on about Tenet saving the Cinema industry when it was released last year and it didn’t and was shit to boot! He can jog on.

Jamie Lee-Curtis has thrown her weight behind Scarlet now. Good for her. I listened to a podcast about the whole thing called The Emily Show. She’s an ex lawyer and, despite the annoying way she pronounces things, it gives a good breakdown about it. She thinks Disney can’t win. Fascinating stuff.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

What happened to Tenet? He forced Warner’s to release that into cinemas when they had asked to both delay it, or release it on premium VOD and Cinemas at the same time and he told them to jog on. He was going on about Tenet saving the Cinema industry when it was released last year and it didn’t and was shit to boot! He can jog on.

It monumentally failed. Regardless of it being his fault or not it was the beta test for films back in the cinema. So he'd be mental to not try and manipulate the studio as best he could.

6 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Given the situation at the time, it didn't actually do too badly outside of NA. It did very well in the UK, but caused everyone to be both bored and get Covid. Personally I have no problem with him leveraging his position to get utter control over his film and how its released if a studio is willing to give it to him. It is basically only Tarantino and Nolan who can do this, and thankfully both seem very committed to cinema. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

Given the situation at the time, it didn't actually do too badly outside of NA. It did very well in the UK, but caused everyone to be both bored and get Covid. Personally I have no problem with him leveraging his position to get utter control over his film and how its released if a studio is willing to give it to him. It is basically only Tarantino and Nolan who can do this, and thankfully both seem very committed to cinema. 

Chris Nolan is a classic example of a director who shouldn't be given utter control over a film. There's this perception that studios not giving directors full control over their movies is always a bad thing but that's simply not the case. There are loads of examples of studio interference resulting in a lesser product but probably just as many examples of studios actually improving a product or reigning a director in from total self-indulgence.

Look what Lucas did to the original Star Wars films when he was given carte blanche, or Walter Hill's preferred version of The Warriors, for that matter. Some directors need saving from themselves and Nolan is unquestionably one of them.

9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Chris Nolan is a classic example of a director who shouldn't be given utter control over a film. There's this perception that studios not giving directors full control over their movies is always a bad thing but that's simply not the case. There are loads of examples of studio interference resulting in a lesser product but probably just as many examples of studios actually improving a product or reigning a director in from total self-indulgence.

I didn't say I agreed with it, I said he has every right to do it if a studio allows him to. Good on him for doing so. Scorsese has to twerk for the streaming services at the moment to get funding. Fucking Scorsese! So if Nolan can leverage his power, then fair fucks to him.