General Disney Hate Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Theres a reason they took a screenshot of that tweet. He’s someone I follow on twitter and basically AMC hadn’t updated their website. Still, PTA was right. Spider-Man had the 2nd biggest opening weekend of all time.

• Paid Members

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/nightmare-alley-dies-a-slow-and-painful-death-at-the-box-office/

Quite why Disney subsidiary Searchlight Pictures thought it was a good idea to move Guillermo del Toro’s Nightmare Alley back two weeks from December 3 and directly into the path of No Way Home is anybody’s guess

I mean, I can make a pretty good guess tbh.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Counter programming is the answer. Also the fact, unlike liquorice pizza they decided to open wide rather then a limited release into wider expansion shows their belief Del Toro would sell regardless. But hey, if it gives you something to be upset about, guess that doesn’t matter https://screenrant.com/nightmare-alley-movie-release-date-disney-confidence/amp/

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Pixar getting face fucked once again.

Also the third film featuring an Asian lead character in a row they've sent straight to streaming. It will be qwhite interesting to see what happens to Lightyear.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Also the third film featuring an Asian lead character in a row they've sent straight to streaming. It will be qwhite interesting to see what happens to Lightyear.

Lightyear won’t get bumped. But this is also the first solo female and Chinese directed film. Whilst the trailer did nothing for me, what they are doing with Pixar is disgraceful. Maybe they will sell it off. It’s not been the same since they essentially merged them anyway.

I wonder if it’s a knee jerk reaction to Encanto bombing at the cinema but doing well on streaming?

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

What’s the deal with Disney and Pixar? Why is Pixar getting, by the sounds of it, shafted by Disney?

Bob Chapek. The new CEO taking over from Bob Igor. Igor was the one who stopped Pixar leaving and eventually being bought by Disney. And whilst I don’t know for sure, this has only happened since Chapek took over in 2020. 

8 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What were the others? I thought the last two Pixar films were Soul and Luca, or are you meaning Disney as a whole?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

What were the others? I thought the last two Pixar films were Soul and Luca, or are you meaning Disney as a whole?

Raya was on premier access and at cinemas, but it was released during one of the lockdowns so it suffered. But at least it just wasn’t dumped out for free. It was the best of their animated films last year as well. Though The Mitchell’s vs The Machines was the best animated film released and should win the Oscar accordingly 

• Paid Members

Isn't Pixar ostensibly Disney's developmental now as all the best former Pixar guys have just been absorbed into Disney's main animation studio? Pixar stuff being exclusively on Disney+ is the equivalent to an NXT Takeover. 

• Paid Members

Pixar has also avoided music and mainstream concepts. What I mean is by marketing and merchandising. A lot of their films like Up were really hard to get products out for from toy companies, and hard sell to kids because the main character is a grumpy old man. Frozen changed the landscape because it was a huge cross promotional marketing juggernaut. The reason you got so many Cars and Toy Story films is the amount of merchandise they shifted (especially with Cars which were ok at the BO, but sold tons of toys). 

It also doesn’t help that now there is not much difference between the look of Pixar and Disney films. I still often get confused if Coco was a Pixar or Disney film.