General Disney Hate Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Making films about theme park rides is fucking stupid, just so we're clear.

I’d agree on the most part. But like Chest, a few pirate films are fun, Jungle Cruise is quite fun. But Tower of Terror is literally based on the Twilight Zone. A fake episode, but of all the attractions it’s the one which makes the most sense.

Happy for them to stop after that, unless Guillermo Del Toro gets to make his Haunted Mansion film.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

A remake of a made for tv film that is based on a theme park ride that is based on a fake episode of a tv show. Is Steve Gutenberg in it at least?

I am sure he can step away from The Goldbergs for a couple of days to make an appearance. Same with Kirsten "Finacé of Jesse Plemons" Dunst. I find it interesting it's not been avaiable for years or found on D+. 

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

At least Alan Dean Foster ended up getting paid after the initial backlast. The Disney statement that they bought the rights to reprint and release everything but not the contracts that meant they'd had to pay authors was signed off by actual people. Who thought that was a good idea to say out loud?? 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Pretty sure this lawsuit will be settled. Disney and the studios as a whole will not want this to set a legal precedent.

Maybe. But I think the worst precedent will be the impact on Scarlett Johansson. She should feel comfortable complaining about this, any actor should. I do think she should have been trying to do this more behind the scenes (maybe she did, but doesn't appear so) and gone public only if they played hardball. The issue now will be how the rest of Hollywood see her. She has done some stupid stuff before (not denouncing Woody Alan, the race issue with Ghost in the Shell) and this could lead to her getting a difficult reputaion. I hope of course it doesn't because I like her as an actor, and if the only bridge she burns is Disney and she manages to squeeze money out of them, good for her. Sometimes winning a battle isn't as important as winning the war though.  

8 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Maybe. But I think the worst precedent will be the impact on Scarlett Johansson. She should feel comfortable complaining about this, any actor should. I do think she should have been trying to do this more behind the scenes (maybe she did, but doesn't appear so) and gone public only if they played hardball. The issue now will be how the rest of Hollywood see her. She has done some stupid stuff before (not denouncing Woody Alan, the race issue with Ghost in the Shell) and this could lead to her getting a difficult reputaion. I hope of course it doesn't because I like her as an actor, and if the only bridge she burns is Disney and she manages to squeeze money out of them, good for her. Sometimes winning a battle isn't as important as winning the war though.  

I don't think so. One of the good things about the case,  is two big named actors (Emma and Scarlett) have come forward on this. They are established. It would be very hard to try and bury them in any way. With the way entertainment is working now, even if both of them never worked for Disney again they would be perfectly fine. Streamers and other studios will be biting their hands off to sign them to productions deals etc. James Gunn got fired from Disney and in the morning WB had snapped him up. We're in a content arms race.

As someone who worked for a studio for a number of years (not Disney thankfully!) they'll all be shitting themselves over this and hoping Disney quietly settle.

28 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

She has done some stupid stuff before (not denouncing Woody Alan, the race issue with Ghost in the Shell) and this could lead to her getting a difficult reputaion. I hope of course it doesn't because I like her as an actor,

Do we have a “Matt Riddle Rule” for such situations? Mind you, this is Walt Disney’s company after all so shitty stuff in real life doesn’t factor. 

• Paid Members

If anything, taking a stance against one of the worst companies in the world will only improve her reputation. I doubt she's going to garner a reputation for being difficult for that reason, especially as there have never been any reports of her being difficult to work with.

But if that situation did arise, great. Maybe she'll go back to doing more of the interesting independent projects she used to more regularly grace before Disney got their hands on her. Could you imagine her trying to do Under the Skin today? There's no way Disney would let that happen.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

33 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Could you imagine her trying to do Under the Skin today? There's no way Disney would let that happen.

Yeah I think she filmed it right before Disney bought Marvel. Not sure what was in their contracts but I imagine there would be stuff against doing certain films that might hurt the brand.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

If anything, taking a stance against one of the worst companies in the world will only improve her reputation. I doubt she's going to garner a reputation for being difficult for that reason, especially as there have never been any reports of her being difficult to work with.

But if that situation did arise, great. Maybe she'll go back to doing more of the interesting independent projects she used to more regularly grace before Disney got their hands on her. Could you imagine her trying to do Under the Skin today? There's no way Disney would let that happen.

I don’t think they have too much of an issue with film roles (no one has a studio contract anymore like in the old Hollywood days) and Chris Hemsworth did that pretty violent Netflix film I think was an 18, though appreciate that’s not Under the Skin. They definitely have issues with social media use though as Gina Carano discovered after repeated warnings. 

The reason I’m more concerned is if your seen to be outspoken against one studio and causing a massive public spat, they may think twice in case things go south after hiring her. And I’m all for the art,  but I think we would rather go down the Nic Cage/Bruce Willis route just yet. @Factotumhas Emma Stone come out yet? I’ve not seen anything confirming it, just rumoured.

And yeah, I know I’m a Disney fanboy but I have no issue calling them out on shitty behaviour which is why I’m no longer on the PR list. My little podcasts must have too much of an impact 🤣