General Disney Hate Thread

Devon Malcolm

5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

And yeah, I know I’m a Disney fanboy but I have no issue calling them out on shitty behaviour which is why I’m no longer on the PR list. My little podcasts must have too much of an impact 🤣

They got Soapdissed!!!  I wonder if the Carano situation was different because it was for an episodic project? I know the argument is there about the whole MCU being episodic but you know what I mean. 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

They got Soapdissed!!!  I wonder if the Carano situation was different because it was for an episodic project? I know the argument is there about the whole MCU being episodic but you know what I mean. 

I think the Carano thing was more the fact that she had obviously been told to wind her neck in and she just did the same thing again while she was on double secret probation and was, in the grand scheme of things, very low hanging fruit for the studio to make an example of. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Soapdissed. Now there’s a podcast idea!
The thing is, they announced her getting a spin off which has quietly not be mentioned since. I guess it depends on how many seasons they tied them up into. She said she wasn’t re-signed for further seasons/projects after season 2 finished. Most networks sign actors for 7 years, traditionally. Maybe as she was a guest star she didn’t have that. But @chokeout is pretty bang on.

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

And yeah, I know I’m a Disney fanboy but I have no issue calling them out on shitty behaviour which is why I’m no longer on the PR list. My little podcasts must have too much of an impact 🤣

Really? You should mention it in this thread more often. 

I want a full evolution of Soapdish where he starts off getting knocked off the PR list for calling Mickey a bellend or something, starts ramping it up on Soapdissed where he takes it up a notch roasting the whole clubhouse before he goes full on Walt is a peed conspiracy theorist angry podcaster with Scorched Earth where he burns his allegiances to the ground. Devon on second chair in a ‘I don’t like you and you don’t like me but we have to team up to get shit done’ odd couple.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Didn’t Ethan Hawke say something that upset / confused the fans by comparing Marvel gigs to cowboy films of yore? Some thought he meant how they were superheroes of their day but he really meant paycheque roles?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/aug/27/ethan-hawke-superhero-movies-are-overrated-logan

Of course, now he's fucking in one, the daft knob.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Didn’t Ethan Hawke say something that upset / confused the fans by comparing Marvel gigs to cowboy films of yore? Some thought he meant how they were superheroes of their day but he really meant paycheque roles?

But he was right, even if he didn’t mean it. Marvel films, and I don’t think Marvel Films and Comic Book films are the same thing, are the hot genre. The MCU is absolutely a genre at this point. Just like westerns, biblical epics, musicals a d Sci-Fi films have been THE genre before. The bubble will one day burst and they will fall out of favour. 

7 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

But he was right, even if he didn’t mean it. Marvel films, and I don’t think Marvel Films and Comic Book films are the same thing, are the hot genre. The MCU is absolutely a genre at this point. Just like westerns, biblical epics, musicals a d Sci-Fi films have been THE genre before. The bubble will one day burst and they will fall out of favour. 

Totally agree, nothing wrong in my opinion for an actor to do a paycheque role. If anything it gives them leeway in their future choices for roles if they have some financial security behind them. 

I always remember William H. Macy saying he did a Jurassic Park film for the money because he had a daughter and it was to pay for college. I remember it now for different reasons of course. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

Hawke has done his fair share of paycheque films himself, he could have been the centre of the MCU and starred in every film it still wouldn’t mean what he was saying was wrong. The thing is, unlike Westerns very few cape films, if any, have broken out of the genre and stood alone as a great film. Funny that it came up when talking about Logan though because that’s Western as fuck.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Totally agree, nothing wrong in my opinion for an actor to do a paycheque role. If anything it gives them leeway in their future choices for roles if they have some financial security behind them. 

I always remember William H. Macy saying he did a Jurassic Park film for the money because he had a daughter and it was to pay for college. I remember it now for different reasons of course. 

Dennis Hopper famously said he did the Super Mario Brothers movie for the money. 

• Moderators

Of all the many films that you could point to as an example of a paycheque film that's an odd choice. That film went through so many rewrites even as it was being made I can't imagine any of the actors knew what it was about or what it was going to end up like at the time they signed on. There were some pretty respectable producers and writers associated with the project.

Also given what a dumpster fire it turned out to be I don't know how much you can trust anything anyone did to try to distance themselves from it afterwards.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Dennis Hopper famously said he did the Super Mario Brothers movie for the money. 

As Bob Hoskins stared in SMB, it allows me to remind people of this wonderful story of not doing a film for the money https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019/02/19/bob-hoskins/

• Paid Members

Michael Caine made a career of being a paycheck actor, rarely turning down a job, regardless of how shit it might be. Most famously he wasn't available to collect his Oscar for Hannah and her sisters because he was off fighting a shonky looking shark in Jaws The Revenge. 

https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch?role=nm0000323&job_type=actor

Ironically its only since his involvement with Christopher Nolan and the Batman films that he's been more picky with roles (still makes some shit mind)