General Disney Hate Thread

Devon Malcolm

6 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

If you’re hired and your salary is £24k a year but you only get paid £12k because your boss changed his terms, would you be ok with that?

it’s not the amount. If your lifestyle is based on earning ridiculous sums of money, the impact to the individual will still be the same.

I understand where she's coming from, a lot of actors have made a fortune from taking a small upfront ( which 20m is not ) then making bank on overall profits. If she has a good lawyer and what ever is in the contract it could be interesting.

I was more commenting on how bad it must be just to be paid 20 million tbh

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Yeah, 7 and 8 as the series got more popular over time so yeah, this was another billion dollar film pre Covid.

So they don’t “Usually” break a billion. It’s akin to saying Man City usually win the premier league. 

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

I struggle to feel sorry for someone being paid 20 million then complaining her back end payments are a bit short due to streaming, sorry

Yeah but this isn't about you or anyone else feeling sorry for her. It's about someone being fucked over by a soulless media conglomerate and fighting back.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I can see the dual releases being an issue going forward, but I do wonder how much the impact actually was with it during a pandemic. How many more people really would've gone to the cinema? Or were Disney expected to hold these movies back for an indefinite period?

I do think it's a tough call from a business perspective for sure.

If you believe her side, and Disney's response doesn't really deny it, then Johansson's people tried to re-negotiate the deal but Disney completely stonewalled them.

Suing is fair enough in the case isn't it? Going "Ah...But COVID..." is a really shitty comeback when it's so utterly one-sided. They can't simultaneously argue that COVID changed everything while also refusing to acknowledge that it also changed things for her. I mean, they can, and have, but it makes them look like total cunts.

I doubt it'll even make court. She's already won the most important battle - The P.R one. She'll get a huge pay off, and a public apology on the condition that she publicly accepts it. Surely there's no way they are going to fight a lawsuit that risks both alienating the audience and other big name actors? 

1 hour ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

I struggle to feel sorry for someone being paid 20 million then complaining her back end payments are a bit short due to streaming, sorry

The amount is irrelevant. If you sign an agreement with someone (whatever that deal may be), you can’t just move the goalposts. Hypothetically, let’s say Scarlett Johansson’s deal was $20m plus $1 per ticket sold. If Disney are charging £15-£20 for their ‘Premier Access’ films, that’s the same as selling a ticket at the box office, it’s just that the customer is watching at home rather than in the cinema. They can’t just say “we’re basically going to distribute it two ways and despite what we’ve agreed only pay you for one of those”
The crux of the matter will depend on whether or not Scarlett Johansson (or anybody else for that matter) has a clause in their contract stipulating whether or not they make the same through sales of tickets at the box office or through the sale of access to a stream, which I highly doubt that she does otherwise that’s some incredible foresight.

On the surface of things I don’t see ScarJo getting anything out of it as the pandemic won’t have even been thought of when she’ll have put pen to paper, but you can bet that anyone whose any sort of box office draw will have such a clause in their contracts on future work

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

So they don’t “Usually” break a billion. It’s akin to saying Man City usually win the premier league. 

On the contrary. Each film got more popular then the last, until the broke a billion. They, like Man City, didn’t start of winning, but through investment and support did start winning.

• Paid Members

If you all want to get pissy at Disney, you should consider how they treated Pixar of late. Releasing their last 2 films to Disney+ for free meant the people working on those films missed out on bonuses for box office achievement. The fact that Pixar, who were usually reliable at making decent films compared to Disney have been floundering of late (Soul excluded) is by the by. They don’t deserve that.

Also, while I do Podcasts about Disney I have called out their shitty behaviour every time they have pulled a shit move like this in both the movie and theme park divisions. Which is why, despite the shows audience size, I’m not allowed on their PR list.

@Keith Houchen the word I should have used in response was pedantic. As we’re talking of recent times. Or is James Bond not a billion dollar franchise because of the Moore/Dalton years?

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The fact that Pixar, who were usually reliable at making decent films compared to Disney have been floundering of late (Soul excluded) is by the by.

This is just patently not true. I mean, they're not hitting their Up / Inside Out / Wall-E heights but Toy Story 4, Onward, Coco and Finding Dory have all been perfectly decent films by anyone's standards.

• Paid Members
Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

This is just patently not true. I mean, they're not hitting their Up / Inside Out / Wall-E heights but Toy Story 4, Onward, Coco and Finding Dory have all been perfectly decent films by anyone's standards.

Onward is fucking awful. At least on repeat viewings. Luca was pretty but dull. Dory and Toy Story 4, for me, were fine, but completely unnecessary. Incredibles 2 was a gender swap version of the first.

Coco though… yeah I LOVE Coco. And that and Soul were the last films that felt like Pixar, outside the box storytelling. Onward felt like a Dreamworks movie. 

13 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

As we’re talking of recent times.

So I’m right, you meant lately instead of usually. Also, I’ve never seen a Fast film. Do I need to start at the beginning or just start when The Rock turns up?

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

So I’m right, you meant lately instead of usually. Also, I’ve never seen a Fast film. Do I need to start at the beginning or just start when The Rock turns up?

4 is basically a reboot of the whole series. 5 is where The Rock joins and it turns into heist films rather then street racing. It’s diminishing returns after 7 pretty much (which is when Rock and Vin have their public fall out). Hobbs and Shaw has Roman Reigns, 9 has Cena. They are all awful but I still like them.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch