General Disney Hate Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It's always nice when someone links an article that's not even available in this country as you can tell they've probably just decided to go off the headline alone, so you can disregard it.

34 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It's always nice when someone links an article that's not even available in this country as you can tell they've probably just decided to go off the headline alone, so you can disregard it.

I’m clearly not in the same country as you (or using a DNS thingy)

• Paid Members

I bought an LGBTQ+ hat from Universal Studios last trip. The fact they donated $28k disgusted me. 

This is the first article I’ve seen call out Disney directly. Though I know historically they have donated to various Republicans and Democrats before. The whole thing absolutely sucks and can’t believe as scummy as Florida is, this was even able to pass.

2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I bought an LGBTQ+ hat from Universal Studios last trip. The fact they donated $28k disgusted me. 

This is the first article I’ve seen call out Disney directly. Though I know historically they have donated to various Republicans and Democrats before. The whole thing absolutely sucks and can’t believe as scummy as Florida is, this was even able to pass.

Disney have had a litany of gay erasure stuff thrown at them

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2021/06/lgbtq-fans-calling-disney-celebrating-pride-heres/

2022 and this is still problematic. See also tokenism in films, a big hey to The Avengers... Infinity War or whichever the last one was called 

Let it go is still afaik a coming out tune despite this :/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/fixing-psychology/201403/why-frozen-is-obviously-about-lesbians

• Paid Members

I saw Josh Gad rightly calling them out for dropping the ball with gay representation in their content recently. Still to concerned with the banning in certain countries. I know Eternals was banned on some countries or had whole sections removed because of one of the characters being gay. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, patiirc said:

Let it go is still afaik a coming out tune

If we're reading meaning into Disney songs, although why you would I'm not sure, surely it's a heterosexual woman singing about the isolation she feels as a result of disability and is nothing to do with sexuality. 

I'd link a load of online articles to support this but unfortunately it's just based on watching the film. 

Edited by Tommy!

I always thought that it’s about a young lady with superpowers that she’s had to hide away and be ashamed of finally coming to terms with herself and being empowered by her own acceptance. Wonder if my kids picked up on the hidden message. 

2 hours ago, Tommy! said:

If we're reading meaning into Disney songs, although why you would I'm not sure, surely it's a heterosexual woman singing about the isolation she feels as a result of disability and is nothing to do with sexuality. 

I'd link a load of online articles to support this but unfortunately it's just based on watching the film. 

Appreciate your response, disagree with it given the amount of people who've said it allowed them to come out. 

It's amazing what people will find resonance in order to give them courage to be themselves irrespective of whether you posit as Disability, or as a coming out anthem. 

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/11/22/20975178/frozen-2-elsa-girlfriend-lesbian-queer-review

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Typical Disney. If you own every horse in the race, it doesn't matter which one you back.

• Paid Members

Let it go is a song about self-actualisation, and being who you are, so is "how far I'll go" and plenty of other Disney stuff. That's inclusive of sexuality/gender, but also of any other identity stuff. 

That's been Disney's generic message for ages now. It's not surprising it's encouraged people to come out, but it's not just about that, and it's distant enough that they have plausible deniability in any case 

• Paid Members

Absolutely none of Disney's alleged representation has been anything more than pure tokenism. There's a complete lack of sincerity behind everything progressive they purport to be pushing forward, which is why it's so disappointing that they get so much spotlight when a character in their content might possibly be, maybe, just a little bit gay.

And then an actual progressive family film, The Mitchells vs the Machines has an openly gay teen girl in it who is treated with normality and deftness, yet is ignored beyond nerd film circles.

• Moderators

It's not that simple. It's a huge beast and from watching their output you can easily see that genuine effort and careful consideration has been put in by the creatives in the process beyond surface tokenism. But, yeah, ultimately things do go through the business end of the company and get sanitised. So judging purely on the output, it's still wanting but definitely beyond being completely superficial.