Controversial/Strange album covers

TheSurgeon

I just watched a video about controversial album covers, and the one that was really disturbing was one by the band - 'Blind Faith', which was a supergroup that included Stevie Winwood and Eric Clapton.

I'm not going to post that particular album cover here as it features an 11yr old topless girl.

But what other album covers are just odd/strange?

Edited by TheSurgeon

• Moderators

image.thumb.png.bea638d68f8a2cb46ace6950e3912d17.png

this was the original album cover for The Coup's album 'Party Music'.  It was designed mid-2001 for a September release and I believe some press advance copies went out with this cover. But then 9/11 happened and they had to come up with a new cover before they could release it a couple months late.

So it's not that 'odd' as such but it is an interesting story I think.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, TheSurgeon said:

I just watched a video about controversial album covers, and the one that was really disturbing was one by the band - 'Blind Faith', which was a supergroup that included Stevie Winwood and Eric Clapton.

I'm not going to post that particular album cover here as it features what looks like a 14yrs topless girl.

The first that came to mind from the topic title was Bow Wow Wow's debut, which featured the 14 year old lead singer posing nude. What a scamp that Malcolm McLaren was, eh? 

• Paid Members

I'm gonna guess this cover would not be without controversy today...

poor-jenny-worst-album-covers.jpg.3904c4da0596fca8410dc20bf995eb0a.jpg

• Paid Members

I'm fairly sure our woolworths had a display case with "System of a Down Album -  take to till" written on it in biro for Steal this Album. If I remember right that just didn't have any artwork as standard and was just the disc in the case, am I remembering that right? 

• Awards Moderator

The Beatles’ USA/Canadian release of Yesterday and Today caused murder at the time. Known as the Butcher Cover, it was supposedly their protest against the Vietnam War (disputed by Harrison years later) and when released the media were kicking off all over the place.

284E6F1E-B742-4EF4-9A8A-78928C39D0EE.jpeg.1dafa265fb2920f72264c10d5197ee36.jpeg

Capitol Records undertook a mass recall of the release and in today’s money, cost them about two million quid to retrieve as many as they could. Original pressings go for an absolute fortune in auctions.

Edited by Frankie Crisp