Controversial/Strange album covers

TheSurgeon

1 minute ago, Frankie Crisp said:

The Beatles’ USA/Canadian release of Yesterday and Today caused murder at the time. Known as the Butcher Cover, it was supposedly their protest against the Vietnam War (disputed by Harrison years later) and when released the media were kicking off all over the place.

284E6F1E-B742-4EF4-9A8A-78928C39D0EE.jpeg.1dafa265fb2920f72264c10d5197ee36.jpeg

Capitol Records undertook a mass recall of the release and in today’s money, cost them about two million quid.

Am I right in thinking that if you have this version, you're incredibly lucky/potentially rich?

• Awards Moderator
1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

Am I right in thinking that if you have this version, you're incredibly lucky/potentially rich?

Absolutely. Lennon’s personal copy (signed) went for £180k and a non-signed, non-Lennon copy went for £125k.

Frankenchrist by Dead Kennedys included HR Giger's "Penis Landscape" and that was a bit hard to swallow for some people, so they included the penis on the inside.  Obviously, metal is full of such edgy edgelords who aren't 14, so Cannibal Corpse have had a few attempts to shock their mums.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

The Beatles’ USA/Canadian release of Yesterday and Today caused murder at the time. Known as the Butcher Cover, it was supposedly their protest against the Vietnam War (disputed by Harrison years later) and when released the media were kicking off all over the place.

284E6F1E-B742-4EF4-9A8A-78928C39D0EE.jpeg.1dafa265fb2920f72264c10d5197ee36.jpeg

Capitol Records undertook a mass recall of the release and in today’s money, cost them about two million quid to retrieve as many as they could. Original pressings go for an absolute fortune in auctions.

I always remember seeing this on a random episode of Antiques Roadshow, or similar (Probably back when Anthology came out and they were everywhere). Didn't they end up pasting the replacement cover over it, to save money. Which led to people trying to peel the replacement cover off, meaning the intact replaced cover is also worth decent money as well?

• Paid Members

Biffy Clyro's The Vertigo Of Bliss.

Edited by seph
Spoiler tags don't work for some reason

• Awards Moderator
36 minutes ago, chokeout said:

I always remember seeing this on a random episode of Antiques Roadshow, or similar (Probably back when Anthology came out and they were everywhere). Didn't they end up pasting the replacement cover over it, to save money. Which led to people trying to peel the replacement cover off, meaning the intact replaced cover is also worth decent money as well?

Yeah, the recall was going to cost that much and they had so many pressings already done they went down the slick option to save on full reprints. Apparently (not verified) loads of people ruined artwork trying to uncover the original print.

2 hours ago, Tommy! said:

I'm fairly sure our woolworths had a display case with "System of a Down Album -  take to till" written on it in biro for Steal this Album. If I remember right that just didn't have any artwork as standard and was just the disc in the case, am I remembering that right? 

Yeah I remember my mum telling me she was proper confused when she'd gone to buy me it for Christmas and didn't have a bloody clue whether it was the real album or not.

s-l400.jpg

• Paid Members

CKYs debut album originally had a cartoon of Budd Dwyer killing himself. Jess Margera who drums for CKY was selling copies of the album with that cover on their big cartel site until recently after many “original and rare” copies were showing up on eBay for ridiculous money. 

• Paid Members

I find it interesting that while the iconic Nevermind cover caused a few raised eyebrows, it was never truly clamped down on, when in essence, it’s a very young bairn swimming naked. Yet it’s apparently inappropriate for the same person as an adult, to recreate the picture naked.

AB2E6AF9-CCB6-497F-A169-5DEF3A264F14.jpeg

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

Another "I don't think they'd use that today" cover...

status-quo_just-for-the-record_1.jpg.fdc5912716e2abe832b624c795368a6f.jpg

...oddly enough this isn't in the list of Status Quo's Discography on Wikipedia, but Discogs does state that this was a compilation album released in 1979.

40 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I find it interesting that while the iconic Nevermind cover caused a few raised eyebrows, it was never truly clamped down on, when in essence, it’s a very young bairn swimming naked. Yet it’s apparently inappropriate for the same person as an adult, to recreate the picture naked.

They were fine with Nevermind but kicked off when John Lennon got his todger out on his album cover.