• Paid Members
5 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I thought they hated the BBC because it was all leftists and they made pensioners pay the license fee now?

Those that 'hate the BBC because they a lefties' didn't watch it on TV though. They were all at Wembley, breaching the security and setting off flares from their arseholes.

4 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

This from Ceballos takes some beating though. "You are my fucking crack"...you what mate?

"Eres un puto crack" would be a compliment in Spanish rather than a drug reference, although personalising it is a tad strange. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Briefcase said:

TV Ratings are in.

25m watched the game on BBC. 6m watched on ITV. 

Jenas helping bringing in the ratings, you love to see it. 

I had the BBC coverage on but Jenas was just too much. Switched to ITV's coverage with what sounded like a thicker Karl Pilkington and decided it was a lose-lose scenario.

I'm absolutely gutted at the result of the game and disgusted by the way portions of the fanbase acted before, during and after the game. Hopefully they'll all be tracked down and banned from attending football matches for life. 

I've loved watching the team during this tournament, the sense of togetherness they brought to the country cannot be replaced. Its the most I've enjoyed watching England in years and they genuinely made me believe they could go all the way. 

I'd driven down from Scotland to Cambridgeshire yesterday so that I could watch the game with my family and the feeling of getting to watch my country in a final with my dad and daughter will never be replaced.

• Paid Members

I'm not a big football fan but it strikes me the current England team are just that, a team. That's not something I've ever been given the impression of for the years I can really remember well, 98 onwards, and it was alway felt like a group of big names who all wanted to be the "superstar". 

Is that a fair assessment? 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I'm not a big football fan but it strikes me the current England team are just that, a team. That's not something I've ever been given the impression of for the years I can really remember well, 98 onwards, and it was alway felt like a group of big names who all wanted to be the "superstar". 

100% the one thing Southgate has brought is a end to the separation of players by what team they played for. I'm Proud of that England team. I'm proud of there morals and Ethics. I'm disgusted by that certain element of supporters that are just vile. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

I had the BBC coverage on but Jenas was just too much. Switched to ITV's coverage with what sounded like a thicker Karl Pilkington and decided it was a lose-lose scenario.

I tended to have most of the coverage on the radio or through the iPlayer with the radio commentary. 

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Spot on assessment I would say. Peter Crouch even admitted that there were always cliques formed by club players in the squads he was part of, and egos. There doesn't seem to be that with this group. Reminds me of the 96 squad, although their bond centred on getting rat-arsed! There doesn't seem to be egos either.

• Paid Members

It absolutely dawned on me during the final that while there are, naturally, players from Man City, Chelsea and Man United integral to the team, that the goalkeeper, striker and defensive midfield anchors are from Everton, Spurs, West Ham and Leeds. Without even thinking about the Dortmund lads this is the most diverse selection for years in terms of not being top heavy from the top English sides - even Southgates World Cup team had five Spurs players in (who’d finished top 4 for three years in a row) as well as the United/City/Liverpool players (Pickford the notable exception). It really has been about finding the players that form the best team together rather than who’s played for the best club teams or done the best YouTube highlights etc.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, scratchdj said:

That mentality works better in my opinion, and we’re already seeing the benefits of the country already knowing about the best young players with the success at the U17 and U20 levels, rather than waiting for homegrown players to force their way into their club’s first team. By the time that has happened, often players are well into their twenties or have been sold to lower league clubs.

The added bonus to this approach being that successful partnerships at youth level could be transitioned seamlessly to the senior team. I assumed this would happen with Jones & Smalling at centre back but that died a death when Ferguson bought them both and became obsessed with trying to turn Smalling into a right back and Jones into a midfielder.

Edited by air_raid