American pronunciation

chokeout

• Paid Members

As someone with an Irish name (Donal) that even people in this country can’t pronounce correctly even when I say it to them, with them saying it back wrong immediately because they’re thick bascially, it’s much worse with the Americans. I’ve spent quite a bit of time over there and got to the point of just introducing myself as Donny or even using my middle name as the whole tedious process of explaining how it’s pronounced before they still fuck it up did my head in. I try and break it down and tell them it’s pronounced as Dough-nal but I get Don-ell and other variations and it’s highly irritating. I’ve even had Darnell or them trying to correct me and carrying on calling me Donald. 

I dated an American girl over here and was glad when she went back home as I couldn’t picture a future with someone unable to say my name correctly. It just seems alien to them and they look proper confused by it. Morons. So I’m lumping my name in with the Craig’s and the Graham’s. We stand together.  

Only met one American who could say it off the bat and that was Christopher Daniels (gone a bit KFogg there but we aren’t good mates like they probably would be)

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

As someone with an Irish name (Donal) that even people in this country can’t pronounce correctly even when I say it to them, with them saying it back wrong immediately because they’re thick bascially, it’s much worse with the Americans. I’ve spent quite a bit of time over there and got to the point of just introducing myself as Donny or even using my middle name as the whole tedious process of explaining how it’s pronounced before they still fuck it up did my head in. I try and break it down and tell them it’s pronounced as Dough-nal but I get Don-ell and other variations and it’s highly irritating. I’ve even had Darnell or them trying to correct me and carrying on calling me Donald. 

I dated an American girl over here and was glad when she went back home as I couldn’t picture a future with someone unable to say my name correctly. It just seems alien to them and they look proper confused by it. Morons. So I’m lumping my name in with the Craig’s and the Graham’s. We stand together.  

Only met one American who could say it off the bat and that was Christopher Daniels (gone a bit KFogg there but we aren’t good mates like they probably would be)

Seems to be a similar thing with Domhnall Gleeson too. I hear so many people pronouncing the "m".

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

I'm reminded of Podge and Rodge interviewing Dara Ă“ Briain (had to copy and paste that one), and making fun of him for having English kids. "They'll grow up, Dara, and be coming in like 'Darryl! Darryl! Put the telly on, Darryl!'"

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bry2j said:

not forgetting aluminium - aloo-minum

It is spelt different tho - which itself is a story that just speaks to the English deciding to modify a word and then say everyone else is wrong.