American pronunciation

chokeout

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, neil said:

Also add filet (fill-it) and chipotle (chee-pot-all) to that list.

The first I'd argue is open to interpretation, because we spell it with two Ls.

Ultimately, though, who am I trying to kid? It's all fucking open to interpretation, because English doesn't have grammar and spelling, just a load of arbitrary conventions that seem to have been arrived at by arcane ritual rather than academic rigour and logic.

• Paid Members

A lass from South Carolina who I worked with back in the day, went to see "Harry Brown" in the movie theater. It made me chuckle, and I'd keep trying to find ways to bring the flick up periodically so she'd say the movies' title again.

Off topic, I don't like the way some English people say "Kinsella" or "Sixth", but I've had that out with one of the lads here in the office who's from Bristol.
He doesn't like how I say "Lettuce" or any word that may have two r's in it, like "Barry" or "Squirrel".

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Coconut said:

Are these Italians you mention speaking English? 

Whenever I've heard Italians say it, either in Italian or English, they say "o-REH-gano".

45 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Off topic, I don't like the way some English people say "Kinsella"

That's interesting, how should it be pronounced? I normally hear "Kin-SELL-a" - is that incorrect?

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Whenever I've heard Italians say it, either in Italian or English, they say "o-REH-gano".

That's how English people say it, isn't it? That's what I say anyway. Americans say it "Oh-REG-ano"

Edited by gmoney