American pronunciation

chokeout

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I don't see why not. I only ever see this complaint from non-sports fans who like to imagine the people saying it think they're somehow as good as the players, when it's absolutely not the case. I'm not talking full kit wankers, but if you're a member club, contribute to it financially and volunteer for it (which does happen a lot in the lower leagues), why aren't you part of it?   

I can see it when it's a smaller club and you're taking part in fundraising, renting a coach etc. and there's a genuine community around the club but it's a bit of a fucking stretch if you've just bought the occasional ticket for a home game for a premiership club.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
Just now, Chest Rockwell said:

I can see it when it's a smaller club and you're taking part in fundraising, renting a coach etc. and there's a genuine community around the club but it's a bit of a fucking stretch if you've just bought the occasional ticket for a home game.

True, but that's where the language comes from anyway. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

You're going to send her to heaven before you send her to hell? And a 1 and a 2...

Bake him away, toys...

• Moderators
2 hours ago, gmoney said:

True, but that's where the language comes from anyway. 

Yeah, that's a fair point, particularly in the context of this as a language thread. And it occurs to me that the kind of person who will use it in a dickhead way will almost certainly be a dickhead for other reasons anyway.

• Paid Members

Yeah, as someone that’s paid a yearly membership to my club for many years, supported them with my cash for matches, the shirts etc and received things in return - mass printed as they are, the birthday card always makes me smile - and have had the club be part of my entire life and personality for decades, I’m going to use “we.” I feel as much part of the football club as it’s part of me - Premier League or otherwise.

13 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:And it occurs to me that the kind of person who will use it in a dickhead way will almost certainly be a dickhead for other reasons anyway.

This is true. I’ve had friends that support the other lot and never fell out with any of them over it, even had them round my place for the derby. I think there’s something powerfully weird about grown adults getting heated with total strangers about which team they follow, and the ones that actually become violent about it clearly have something very wrong with them.