Brooklyn Nine Nine

Arch Stanton

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Into series 6 of Brooklyn Nine-Nine and it's the same old same old consistently funny comfort watch. Delighted to see Hitchcock and Scully get a place on the opening credits, loved the episode where we see them as younger cops. Hope they revisit that again at some point.

The young Hitchcock & Scully scene is the funniest open they've ever done. I remember laughing my head off at that at the time. I really love Brooklyn Nine-Nine, the writing is so sharp and the quality never really drops.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I thought that until the most recent season. I mean, don't get me wrong - I'll still be happy to watch new episodes. But I do think Season 7 has gone off the boil, although it still had some great moments and overall I still rate it highly as a show.

See, I feel that Season 6 was a dip in quality (but still fab) but 7 was a return to form. I have only watched Season 7 once though and probably watched the first 6 seasons 4/5 times now. Looking forwards to Season 7 hitting Netflix to see if it holds up on a rewatch.

Also while I do think Season 6 is just about the weakest, it also has one of my favourite episodes ever in the Sterling K. Brown episode.

Brooklyn 99 probably deserves its own thread really. It's probably in my top 5 sitcoms of all time about now. 

@SuperBacon I really liked Mangrove (I'm a sucker for a courtroom drama) but couldn't get on with Lovers Rock at all. I can appreciate why it's got so much love but it left me completely cold. 

• Paid Members

I also loved young Hitchcock and Scully, I really like the young Scully actor from a superhero show he's great in,  looking forward to seeing him lead the new Jack Reacher show.

I still like Brooklyn 99 but think it's certainly had lots of the same problems as most shows that last forever. I thought Pimento gave it a much needed shot in the arm when he first turned up. 

I do wish Jake and Amy would have split up cos I just think it would be funnier.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I do wish Jake and Amy would have split up cos I just think it would be funnier.

I don't agree. It's been refreshing to see, in a US sitcom, a relationship that works and actually sticks together. It's been good to see them focus on the building of other relationships between the characters instead, I really like the stuff between Peralta and Diaz especially.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I still like Brooklyn 99 but think it's certainly had lots of the same problems as most shows that last forever. I thought Pimento gave it a much needed shot in the arm when he first turned up. 

Pimento is the weakest part of the whole show, for me. He just seems like he's wandered in off the set of another show completely, like he belongs in Always Sunny or something. I felt the same about Jason Mantzoukas in The Good Place too though.

• Moderators

The only time I haven't seen Mantzoukas playing that exact same character is in Close Enough. I do like him and his schtick but I get why people find it a bit repetitive. I like that they kept Jake and Amy together a well, and I thought they handled it very well.

Boyle's obsession with Rosa in season one was a bad storyline, and I later read it was something the network forced them to do. They dropped it as quickly as they could and I thought they handled putting and end to it very well. That was the earliest point at which I think I consciously noted how well and realistically the show writes interpersonal relationships and they've set a high bar and stuck to it throughout.

B99 is just one of my comfort shows now. I remember watching it when it first started and not really knowing anyone else that did. I'm so glad it's getting the praise it deserves over the last few years especially. But as much as it's a comfort and easy watch, I can't discount the way it realistically deals with so many life issues and really goes out of its way to have decent representation. Quality wise I would agree that it's probably past its consistent best but it still hits those high notes sometimes. And B99's worst is often better than most other comedies these days anyway.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Wideload90 said:

Name a bad episode, I know you won't find one...

The Jimmy Jab Games II - season 7 ep 4 is truly awful but in general I agree B99 is incredibly consistent.

S7 is only a fiver on Amazon Prime right now if like me you're fed up of waiting for Netflix.

2 minutes ago, DEF said:

The Jimmy Jab Games II - season 7 ep 4 is truly awful but in general I agree B99 is incredibly consistent.

S7 is only a fiver on Amazon Prime right now if like me you're fed up of waiting for Netflix.

Will it go on netflix with the network change?? 

I love B99, and I think it's the fact that unlike other American sitcoms, the characters have actually evolved rather than become a one note caricature (everything chuck Lorre is involved in) and it truly is an ensemble piece. 

The racism discussion between Terry and holt and the box are gold standard television in any genre....... 

• Paid Members

It's such an easy watch as well. I got through series 6 in a day when it arrived on Netflix. Presumably unless it ends up getting hidden away on Peacock by NBC series 7 will be on Netflix in February? That's when I seem to remember series 6 turning up.