Brooklyn Nine Nine

Arch Stanton

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

The only time I haven't seen Mantzoukas playing that exact same character is in Close Enough. 

Even then he's never been as good playing that character as when he was Rafi in The League (because he is immense in that), much as I fucking love Jason Mantzoukas. 

• Paid Members

I honestly don't think I can explain how much I genuinely love this show. Even the aforementioned Jimmy Jabs 2 episode has a moment of absolute hilarity for me involving the epipen just because it plays Peralta and Santiago less as a relationship and more in the vain of an 80s comedy double act. 

I think as mentioned the show got better without Gina, while I love her character in small doses, at times she just appeared to take away from great moments or make things confusing. 

Boyle becoming less of a sad sack, hanger on absolutely brought the character out in the best way. The early issue with him chasing Rosa while being less of a friend and more of an idoliser of Jake didn't hit the mark for an actor who has proved hilarious when needed. 

The fact as well that everything seems to reference each other or build throughout is really refreshing as well. If Holt was still the cold, robot like Commisoner like when he arrived, this show wouldn't have lasted past season 3. Him growing as a character as he's surrounded by this family that's been created gives us moments where he breaks from the norm and its perfect. His father/daughter relationship with Rosa is probably stronger than his bond with Jake or Amy too. 

I'm interested to see where they go new season considering they ripped up the scripts as they wanted to portray the BLM movement and issues with policing in a more prevalent light. They've shown issues within the NYPD before on corruption, discrimination and other stuff while not ripping away the essence of the show, so I hope they can move forward more with that. 

Andy Samberg though. Christ, I loathe The Lonely Island. I did when I was supposed to find them hilarious and witty, even his SNL stuff is hit and miss. But this, where he doesn't have to play up being a complete goof and instead just gets to be himself the entire time it seems, he's become one of my favourite actors in TV. 

A show that I dismissed for years because it was on E4 (yes, I'm an idiot: Same as The Goldbergs, another superb show that doesn't get anywhere near enough praise), but one that I binged within about a week I think. ACAB always, but I love that lot.

The scene where 

Spoiler

Rosa announces to her parents that she is bisexual, and then her Dad goes to see her is one of the most moving moments I've ever seen on TV. Also great is when she comes out to the 99 and the cut scene of Charles saying "Bye Rosa...I mean not Bi but Bye!"

I love the ‘99 but I inexplicably fell off around the halfway mark of the Bill Hader series. I will binge it all up to date at some point, same as The Goldbergs.

As far as Samberg goes, the first thing I saw him on was Cuckoo. Needless to say that was the low point (well, that and That’s my Boy) and I enjoy the Lonely Island stuff. He’s definitely better as himself rather than a wild and crazy guy. His SNL stuff is like all the other SNL stuff, incredibly hit and miss. I’d check out Palm Springs for more essential viewing and as always his Netflix Bash Brothers musical deserves a pimping.

25 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I love the ‘99 but I inexplicably fell off around the halfway mark of the Bill Hader series. I will binge it all up to date at some point, same as The Goldbergs.

As far as Samberg goes, the first thing I saw him on was Cuckoo. Needless to say that was the low point (well, that and That’s my Boy) and I enjoy the Lonely Island stuff. He’s definitely better as himself rather than a wild and crazy guy. His SNL stuff is like all the other SNL stuff, incredibly hit and miss. I’d check out Palm Springs for more essential viewing and as always his Netflix Bash Brothers musical deserves a pimping.

You seen Hot Rod? Probably the funniest film of the last 20 years.

17 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

You seen Hot Rod? Probably the funniest film of the last 20 years.

Oh Shit, probably my most watched film of his too. Get’s nowhere near as much recognition or love as something like Step Brothers but is far better with infinitely more likeable characters. Best Europe song too.