Work

Tommy!

• Paid Members

Found out the BH plan and it's odd.

Say I work mon to Thursday I loose 1/5 of a day holiday for every Monday - Thursday bank holiday but gain 1/5 of a day for every Friday bh. 

It seems loads more work than benefit given I'm on a salary, but hey ho.

It makes sense, they’ve just made it a bit complicated. My work does it similarly but just adds the ph days onto their annual leave. So if someone is on 80% hours they’ll get 80% of the public holidays and 80% of the annual leave entitlement (in hours). They have to book public holidays manually - and on the odd occasion that all public holidays in a given year fall on working days they’ll eat into their annual leave a little bit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Things with management wanker have taken some turns; as of last week we (for the one or two days I'm on campus) now share an office, which on paper seems like a horrible development. But today was our first Organised Fun post-work drinks, and I managed to win his trust through the discovery that he went to a boarding school in Swaziland and correctly guessing that we would have a mutual love of the music of Johnny Clegg. Sometimes I impress even myself.

There is some fantastic passive aggressive banter going on between two people on a team at work.

One fella formally reported the other for bringing a drone into work and starting it up. Technically a no-no.

The drone guy then formally reported the other fella for , get this, not locking his pedestal when he was away from his desk.

Technically you are meant to but obviously a rule that isn’t enforced.

Great stuff. 

Got told a few months ago they wanted to create new jobs in our department, I think it was 2 permanent managers, 2 fixed term managers, 6 permanent officers and 1 fixed term officer. Quite a lot of members considering my department at the moment is only 5 permanent managers, 8 perm officers and 3 fixed term officers. The Head of Service was going to write a business case for them. It seems it's gone through teh first hoop and my manager told me he was now writing the job descriptions for some of the jobs. The job descriptions get analysed and put into a banding. So HR may say actually that person needs to go in a lower or higher meaning either more money is needed or possibility of cutting a couple of the new positions. Many of the jobs are aimed at people already here, some move into managerial and others moving to the side to allow people to function in a specific area rather than work across a couple. 

I got asked what I actually do that should be in my job description. The part I wanted on their was budget holding, I do that anyway as an option as I quite enjoy it. I do it for specific contracts relating to a service that this new job would focus on rather than another huge £60m per annum contract I assist with. The runs I run myself are worth about £1.6m. I was honest I said I recently saw a Band 4 job (I'm a band 3) in the same directorate as me and said the only thing it did that I didn't was manage anybody and I'd hold a bigger budget. I'm the only band 3 in our directorate who holds a budget and I wanted recognition. Is that dicky of me? The budget holder thing would make me either a band 3 level 2 (an extra 2.5k minimum starting and easier to go up in pay) or a Band 4 level 1 (extra 12k starting). Many have had band 4s created specifically for them, I didn't complain I just said I'd be happy with Band 3 level 2, I just want recognition for what I do.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Loki said:

Fuck, @Chili, sorry to hear that.  How long had you been there?

Only 10 months. Small family company in Trafford Park, and they just felt I wasn't picking it up. I thought I was doing well but obviously not. Getting a month's pay from it so something coming in but it's a wee bit rocky. Thanks for asking though, appreciated.

Was pretty much typing the same as Keith - firstly, sorry to hear and hope you get something else soon. But yeah - probation, or general meetings/discussions for feedback surely? It sounds like both sides expectations and understanding weren't aligned and that shouldn't just come out of nowhere.

• Paid Members

I'm sorry to hear that @Chili - this sounds far more like a them thing than a you thing. Nobody keeps someone on for 10 months who just isn't picking the job up, and certainly not without more in the way of a heads-up that change is needed. It's more likely it's the job role itself that's the issue, rather than the person in it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something of a cost-saving exercise.

• Moderators
On 10/27/2023 at 12:15 PM, Chris B said:

I'm sorry to hear that @Chili - this sounds far more like a them thing than a you thing. Nobody keeps someone on for 10 months who just isn't picking the job up, and certainly not without more in the way of a heads-up that change is needed. It's more likely it's the job role itself that's the issue, rather than the person in it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something of a cost-saving exercise.

Not necessarily. Might just be bad managers and not really understand how to properly communicate / support their staff to get the most out of them. He did say its a small family business..  Either way, better off in the long run but no doubt it's not a great way to go out. Sorry Chilli!