Work

Tommy!

23 minutes ago, CharlesTuckerTheThird said:

I'm starting to look for work again, just part-time, after a long break due to mental health issues. I'm also looking at going back to college to update my IT qualifications to help with this.

Obviously I don't know where you live, but look at your local County/Borough/District Councils websites and what they're offering through their adult learning provision as lots of courses are free through AEB (Adult Eduction Board) funding.

Same with local training providers/colleges as long as you meet the criteria. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Back up with Universal Credit and next week I'm getting a cool £50. Then because they way they structure UC, after my rent next month which will not help me clear stuff, I'll be getting probably another £50. Then if I'm still in UC by mid January, that payment would be normal. I mean food and rent etc but what's the big worry.

Terrifying, absolutely terrifying. And it's only me I can have a go at. I thought I was doing a lot better in that job. It's absolutely diabolical people can syphon absurd money about and other people are just completely stuck.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

@Chili Have you asked at the JCP or signed up with any agencies regarding seasonal work where you are?

Dunno how to tell you this, but WCW went out of business years ago

3 hours ago, Chili said:

Back up with Universal Credit and next week I'm getting a cool £50. Then because they way they structure UC, after my rent next month which will not help me clear stuff, I'll be getting probably another £50. Then if I'm still in UC by mid January, that payment would be normal. I mean food and rent etc but what's the big worry.

Terrifying, absolutely terrifying. And it's only me I can have a go at. I thought I was doing a lot better in that job. It's absolutely diabolical people can syphon absurd money about and other people are just completely stuck.

Unless you have savings or a payment due from previous employment/somewhere else wouldn't you fall under hardship for this month at least? Have you had any advances from UC in the last year? If not you may be able to apply for both, grim but it's a helping hand.

Also there is help out there if things do get desperate in terms of food/etc but it will involve a bit of effort/running about. Check in at your local library/community hub and there should be information about food bank/clubs in your area, advice on what you may be eligible for from the council in terms of help from general advice to maybe getting a payment towards electricity/gas. If you're in central Manchester, (You've previously mentioned living in Manchester so I'm going off that.) there's the Mustard Tree just off Oldham Road in central Manchester that can help with an assortment of things. They have a base in Eccles as well.

Can you defer any bills during this period or give a heads up to see if there's anything you can do to bring payments down to ease your current situation. I know it's shite in the long term but it may relieve some pressure and usually companies are happy to take some money than none at all.

I know it's hard but please remain positive, dwelling over your previous position is only going to send you into a spiral and let the negativity overwhelm your ability to move forwards. What others do, you can't change and comparing yourself is pointless as everyone moves to their own groove, please prioritise yourself and needs above all.

You've got this Chilli Dawg.

Universal Credit stated that I'm not applicable for an advance payment to assist because my earnings for the last month of my job meant that I'm not able too apply.

I'm in minor debt before anyone asks or susses the obvious out. Yes it's my fault, no the options unless I can just whip a job out of the air is minimal. I'm just having a really bad crisis of confidence and I'm sorry that I've overshared. Ahhhh, lovely anxiety panic.

6 minutes ago, Chili said:

Universal Credit stated that I'm not applicable for an advance payment to assist because my earnings for the last month of my job meant that I'm not able too apply.

I'm in minor debt before anyone asks or susses the obvious out. Yes it's my fault, no the options unless I can just whip a job out of the air is minimal. I'm just having a really bad crisis of confidence and I'm sorry that I've overshared. Ahhhh, lovely anxiety panic.

Can absolutely recommend speaking to someone about this.

I've used https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/debt-consolidation.aspx before. Really worthwhile. 

This might sound sneaky but UC might also give you an advance (e.g. £300) towards a new bed or fridge or something that you 'badly need' thats suddenly broken. Might help get you by and you are paying them back anyway so not like your stealing. 

Edited by Briefcase

On 11/10/2023 at 4:43 PM, Chili said:

How are you faring?

Looming debt, no matter the amount can always be worrisome especially given the circumstances that have befell you. There is help and I agree with both Bacon and DavidB about speaking to someone that maybe can help.

You've not overshared if you feel that you need to get it out there. Do you have a anyone close you could maybe talk to about things or do you prefer being anonymous as such?

It may not make you feel any better but I found old bank statements from 2012 recently, at one point I had 7p to my name. 7p. It wasn't the easiest of times but I just about made it through and I've every faith that you will too.

Take care and hope things pick up for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Got myself a job interview with the NHS on Dec 12th for a store keeping job. Less money than what I’m on now but I honestly don’t give a fuck.

The prison service has worn me down tbh. What started as a rewarding and interesting job has gone sour over the last year or so. Staff corruption, increased assaults on officers, increased suicides / attempted suicides and drugs all over the place. I’m walking onto my wing each morning wondering just what the fuck is going to happen. I know it’s a jail with cons in it so it’s never been a walk in the park, but fuck me it’s never been this bad. Fingers crossed for the 12th.

• Paid Members

Good luck bud

Recently I suffered a bereavement that was very emotional for me. Unfortunately I run the local council cemeteries. I've had to take a couple of weeks off as it's just too painful.

I hope I can get past this as I had loved my job up to now.

Edited by ReturnOfTheMack
Typos

1 hour ago, Wretch said:

Got myself a job interview with the NHS on Dec 12th for a store keeping job. Less money than what I’m on now but I honestly don’t give a fuck.

The prison service has worn me down tbh. What started as a rewarding and interesting job has gone sour over the last year or so. Staff corruption, increased assaults on officers, increased suicides / attempted suicides and drugs all over the place. I’m walking onto my wing each morning wondering just what the fuck is going to happen. I know it’s a jail with cons in it so it’s never been a walk in the park, but fuck me it’s never been this bad. Fingers crossed for the 12th.

Good luck with that. I've taken pay cuts to be elsewhere and it's been worth it just to be away from a bad work place.