UKFF Questions Thread v3

Otto Dem Wanz

Hello everyone. 

I'm looking for something quite specific, so would appreciate any help if any good souls out there could help. So, when a guy gets a 'Goldberg' style push, they start of squashing people dominantly. Once these guys move up the card they have squashes but often give thier opposition a little bit more offense. Usually at the top of the card someone eventually beats this monster. I'm looking for good examples of that mid range, where the monster gives his opponent a little more, while keeping his aura of being a beast. So if anyone could help me at all with this oddly specific request it would be greatly appreciated. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Cheapheat said:

Hello everyone. 

I'm looking for something quite specific, so would appreciate any help if any good souls out there could help. So, when a guy gets a 'Goldberg' style push, they start of squashing people dominantly. Once these guys move up the card they have squashes but often give thier opposition a little bit more offense. Usually at the top of the card someone eventually beats this monster. I'm looking for good examples of that mid range, where the monster gives his opponent a little more, while keeping his aura of being a beast. So if anyone could help me at all with this oddly specific request it would be greatly appreciated. 

The best example of all time is from Da Man himself beating Raven for the US title on Nitro the night after Spring Stampede 98, one of the two greatest sub-5 minute matches of the 90s.

Goldberg again, but him vs DDP at Halloween Havoc '98 is a minor classic. I've heard Goldberg himself really rates it as well, thanks to DDP really giving him an education and working his nuts off. It's classic wily veteran vs unstoppable monster stuff, with DDP being chucked around by Goldberg at every opportunity, while the finish, made extra special by Heenan and the comms team really bigging it up, is focussed on whether Big Bill can get Page up for the Jackhammer even after smashing his own arm into a turnbuckle.

• Paid Members

Depending on how "Goldberg push" you consider Lesnar's original run, his match with RVD from Vengeance 2002 might qualify as well as being worth a watch for both build and match itself with Van Dam introducing the Van Terminator to WWE for the first time.

I don't have specific examples to hand, but I'm sure there are cases involving Andre and early Taker, maybe early Yokozuna too, where a big deal is made of an opponent getting as far as bringing him down to one knee - a victory within overall defeat, as it was such a rare accomplishment in itself.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Cheapheat said:

Hello everyone. 

Not sure if it's quite what you're looking for but I remember when Rusev first got promoted onto main roster WWE his run was very much like that.

He started off beating the likes of Xavier Woods and R-Truth with little trouble, moved onto victories over Big E and Jack Swagger, then took a further step and got harder-fought wins over the likes of Big Show, Mark Henry and Sheamus, until eventually getting his first pinfall loss at the hands of Cena.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I don't have specific examples to hand, but I'm sure there are cases involving Andre and early Taker, maybe early Yokozuna too, where a big deal is made of an opponent getting as far as bringing him down to one knee - a victory within overall defeat, as it was such a rare accomplishment in itself.

The Brain certainly screamed a lot about "just one knee" when either Hogan or Luger dropped Yoko at the respective PPV meeting although neither properly qualifies as one he won by dodgy means and the other he lost by count-out, and both coming chronologically after 'Zuna lost his unbeaten record in woeful fashion to The Hulkster in that absolute shambles at Mania IX, ending anything near to a "Goldberg push."

Incidentally Yoko crushing Virgil at Survivors 92 is one of my favourite destructions of a JTTS of all time.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, simonworden said:

From vague memory I'd throw Goldberg's match with Regal in there too.

Who knows what that match was supposed to be. Goldberg wasn't happy with it, Bischoff wasn't happy with it, and it brought the immortal line from Regal when explaining it to Bischoff "Eric, I can't hit myself*

Yokozuna faced Duggan in which Duggan knocked him over and I think that ended the match (so Yoko didn’t necessarily win?). 

Also there’s a Saturday Nights Main Event I think in the run up to Earthquake v Hogan where Earthquake squashes Hillbilly Jim but Jim gets some offence in  

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Who knows what that match was supposed to be. Goldberg wasn't happy with it, Bischoff wasn't happy with it, and it brought the immortal line from Regal when explaining it to Bischoff "Eric, I can't hit myself*

I think I know what was meant to be happening but it was too complicated for Bill at that stage in his career. Regal does some chain wrestling to illustrate that Goldberg can match him in that regard - he does have some nice takedowns in his repertoire which he brings out during the match - but as well as Bill being able to keep up with "a wrestler" Regal lays in some shots but Bill looks very tentative at points to strike back rather than wait for the next lock up, like he's not sure if he's supposed to be wrestling Regal or fighting him.

The Brad Armstrong match from SuperBrawl around the same time achieved much more in less time.

Edited by air_raid

Raven had a tonne of interference in it, and DDP was a main eventer, so I'd say the perfect example of this in Goldbergs run was his match again Saturn at Spring Stampede. Saturn was a low ranking Flock member, but had a really good and competitive match with Bill, and got in plenty of offense. Goldberg come out of it looking better too

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Dai said:

Saturn was a low ranking Flock member,

Saturn was Raven’s right hand man, had just come off a run with the TV title and run with Booker T in pursuit of it and had beaten Chris Benoit at Starrcade. He was a considerable step up from basically everyone Bill had beaten since Mongo.

• 5 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

I know it was 100% work, but was there any legit heat between Bret Hart and Jerry Lawler, especially in 1993?

Not sure about heat, but isn't it the story that Bret wasn't too keen on Lawler due to his jokes about Bret's mother until he found out she thought they were funny?