UKFF Questions Thread v3

Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members

I don’t think there was any legit bad blood there but then wasn’t Lawler one of the ones who supposedly trashed Bret on that ‘Screwed’ documentary that never saw the light of day because Bret returned and they made the nice DVD instead?

Two feuds I really believed in, even after I knew wrestling was fake, were Bret vs Lawler and Bret vs Austin. I was 11/12 by the time the Austin feud was in full swing as well so I really knew better by then. But they got me hook, line and sinker believing they despised each other. To the point it felt weird to me when Austin inducted Bret into the HOF all those years later. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

I know it was 100% work, but was there any legit heat between Bret Hart and Jerry Lawler, especially in 1993?

Why are you thinking especially 93, because of the sodomy charge?

• Paid Members

No. Just that some of Lawler's quotes seem a bit dodgy. Check out that match where Bret and Bam Bam are in the ring on Raw and Lawler is in the crowd just ripping the piss out of Hart's parents who are right beside him 

• Paid Members

Bret worked Memphis around that time too, I doubt there was any bad blood worth mentioning, Lawler just used to love digging into his big 1950s jokebook to slag off the Hart parents at every opportunity. 

I think Lawler is, or was, a Montreal Screwjob Truther, though.

• Paid Members

Bret only mentions one thing negative about working Lawler or that whole period in his book ; that he really hurt him in the angle at King of the Ring, for which he promised mentally to give Lawler a receipt for later, and admits to stiffing him a little in their match at SummerSlam. Otherwise no heat in regards to Lawlers comments, just throwaway lines about “my family had been written into the storyline.” He’d have written about it if there was. He had too many other things to think about ; his Mania payoff, being jobbed to Mr Hughes on the road, the promised match with Hogan being another Vince false promise, being overtaken by Luger in the push stakes, whether he wanted to give his notice by September 30th to leave at the end of the year, the fact Owen was openly talking about quitting the business.

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Bret worked Memphis around that time too, I doubt there was any bad blood worth mentioning, Lawler just used to love digging into his big 1950s jokebook to slag off the Hart parents at every opportunity. 

He explicitly references the times where he and Owen work heel against Lawler and Jeff Jarrett as some of the most fun times he’s had in wrestling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
3 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Is it true that Chris Champion from YoshI Kwan fame in WCW in 1993 was born in Worcester in the good old UK? Few sites I've read this on recently.

Yes. Though by the time his little brother, former WCW and occasional WWF jobber Mark Starr was born a little under two years later, they’d moved to Staffordshire.

On 4/22/2023 at 7:57 AM, RoryFice said:

Not sure about heat, but isn't it the story that Bret wasn't too keen on Lawler due to his jokes about Bret's mother until he found out she thought they were funny?

True. They did one of those Table for 3s on the Network with Bret, Lawler & Glen Jacobs and talked about that.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, SpykeDudlei1 said:

True. They did one of those Table for 3s on the Network with Bret, Lawler & Glen Jacobs and talked about that.

In which case, as there were no allusions to this in Bret's book, then he must have been being diplomatic and already having one eye on working with WWE again in the future and not wanting The King to bury him on comms.

I've got possibly the most mundane question on this thread, but for the life of me I cannot find the footage anywhere. @Bohanand I have chatted about it loads and I need to prove to him that it happened!

I had a taped (off sky) version of Summerslam '98 that I watched back to front as an eleven year old, to the point where I think I know all the commentary off by heart. However, when I tried to revisit it on dvd about 15 years ago, the clip I was looking for wasn't there. And hence, it is not on the network version either. 

There was a backstage segment pre Jarrett vs X-Pac (Hair match) where Dok Hendrix (or Michael Hayes, can't remember if he'd dropped the Dok by then) finished an interview with either Jeff or X-Pac and turned to the camera and said the line that has lived in my head since :

"BAD SCENE WITH A BALD HEAD!!!" 

Does anyone, ANYONE have any memory of this? Even better, does anyone have the footage? I've been trying to convince Bohan that it happened for nearly 15 years! 

Apologies, I know it's random as it comes, but help me UKFF, You're my only hope. 

Edited by adjarrell

• 4 weeks later...

As a kid I fell for HBK's collapse in a match against Owen Hart, due to the way Owen broke character to show concern rather than take advantage like he would any other time.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Cheapheat said:

Hey guys, I'm looking for spots/matches/ angles that result in a wrestler being kayfabe injured. Things like pilmanizing a limb. Anyone have favourite examples of this?

17 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

As a kid I fell for HBK's collapse in a match against Owen Hart, due to the way Owen broke character to show concern rather than take advantage like he would any other time.

Was completely about to reply before I clocked Zeb got there first. This is the obvious and best answer.

Although honorable mention to Sid utterly splattering Shawn and big D forgiving Shawn in an instant to come clear Sid off the night after Mania 11 - we were lucky that over here we saw this angle first run in its entirety on WWF Mania, because they screwed up on the live Raw broadcast and most of the action happened in the ad break, as you'll see on the Network.

Vader "breaking Yokozuna's leg" on Raw I also found particularly harrowing because of Yoko's rather convincing screams, although they undid some of that by needing to cart him off with a forklift.