The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

just because the British don't care about non English music doesn't matter. If the guy can be a headline act on SNL, have the most streams on Spotify and have a global appeal

Huh? These comments contradict each other. Unless “global” doesn’t include Britain. Didn’t realize Brexit went that far.

I don’t think it’s a “British vs American music” thing so much as a “being out of touch because modern music is bollocks” thing. Still, if he’s doing better than the A-Team in 1985, good luck to him.

• Paid Members

Yeah I worded that wrongly, my bad. What I meant is non English language audiences, Latin America, Europe etc, an artist like Bad Bunny is huge right now, USA as well. Just because we've got James Arthur and Lewis Capaldi doesn't mean they'd be a draw for WWE (I've literally plucked two names there) someone like Bad Bunny is doing massive reactions for them.

Whatever WWE are paying Bad Bunny, it’s too much. It doesn’t matter how famous he is. Ratings haven’t budged with him on the show. There aren’t any PPVs to sell anymore. He’s completely worthless if there’s no change in numbers .

2 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Whatever WWE are paying Bad Bunny, it’s too much. It doesn’t matter how famous he is. Ratings haven’t budged with him on the show. There aren’t any PPVs to sell anymore. He’s completely worthless if there’s no change in numbers .

That's like saying there's no point in them doing anything because the ratings haven't budged. It's 2021. If you're judging solely based on TV ratings then you couldn't be more wrong.

2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

That's like saying there's no point in them doing anything because the ratings haven't budged. It's 2021. If you're judging solely based on TV ratings then you couldn't be more wrong.

Everything they do is for ratings. That’s why they hotshot everything, no push lasts longer than 3 weeks they constantly bring old people back all the time. TV ratings are now the only thing that actually matters as the vast majority of their money comes from rights fees. PPV is meaningless as they’ve sold the network. If they didn’t give a shit before when they had to get subs, it’s going to be even worse now. I don’t know what the floor is before they get in trouble with renewals (probably lower than it is now god forbid) but paying a billion dollars for a show drawing 1.3m viewers with an average age of 60 (and getting older by the day as the can’t draw new or young fans) doesn’t sound too appealing.

Saying they shouldn’t try anything is a preposterous response as well. Of course they should keep trying things. But it’s fine to say they tried and it bombed. Almost everything they do bombs because it’s shit and they are cold as ice. Ratings will improve if they consistently do good stuff and make stars. They currently rarely do anything good and they have no stars.

I didn’t say they SHOULDNT have brought in Bad Bunny. They should have. He’s a huge star. But he’s worthless to wwe as no current fans give a shit and none of his fans watch the show. If he brings no people to the product, what’s the point of him? There’s no tv deals coming up like there was when Ronda drew them all that money. Short of some t shirts there’s absolutely nothing he is bringing in. If they make one dollar profit from him I’d be shocked. This magical rub from celebrities doesn’t exist for WWE (or wrestling in general, look where AEW are after Shaq). Wrestling is on life support as far as popularity goes.

8 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Everything they do is for ratings. That’s why they hotshot everything, no push lasts longer than 3 weeks they constantly bring old people back all the time. TV ratings are now the only thing that actually matters as the vast majority of their money comes from rights fees.

But Ratings cant be that Important when over the past 2-3 years they've declined to record lows yet during that same time, every TV deal has gotten bigger and bigger and generated record Incomes and just 2 months ago signed a Billion $ deal to give Peacock the Network

As much as its the Buzz word everyone hates, WWE main strength is that they can provide Content year round and is Cheap for TV companies relative to any other Drama/Comedy etc show that they produce and show.

And ratings are crap everywhere across all TV and Smackdown is still one of Fox's Highest rated shows and wins Friday nights for them on a regular basis.

2 minutes ago, MVP RULZ said:

But Ratings cant be that Important when over the past 2-3 years they've declined to record lows yet during that same time, every TV deal has gotten bigger and bigger and generated record Incomes and just 2 months ago signed a Billion $ deal to give Peacock the Network

As much as its the Buzz word everyone hates, WWE main strength is that they can provide Content year round and is Cheap for TV companies relative to any other Drama/Comedy etc show that they produce and show.

And ratings are crap everywhere across all TV and Smackdown is still one of Fox's Highest rated shows and wins Friday nights for them on a regular basis.

It all depends how low they go. Fox were expecting 3m viewers and a 1.0 in 18-49. They’re getting 2m and a 0.5 to 0.6. Do they keep paying that amount of money? Ratings are only going to keep going down after mania and when sport starts up again. There will be a level they can hit where it’s not worth it. Especially when your average viewer age is almost 60. That’s the main problem. No one new is watching the show. So as those old people stop watching, they aren’t being replaced by new viewers. So the viewers and the demo keep getting worse. What if someone says hang on, why are we paying a billion dollars for a 0.5 when TNT are paying 45m for a 0.35, which would be higher if it was on fox? I’m not saying AEW will ever overtake them, but they’re far more valuable money wise. The WWE name is bordering on meaningless now. You’re not paying a premium for the top company when that company has barely made any new fans in a decade. And don’t forget, AEW is only in business now because they got the increase in rights fees because of their ratings. Tony has said that without that he doesn’t believe they’d have survived the pandemic. So ratings can, and usually do, make or break shows.

I’m aware of everything that’s going on with TV, but there is always a tipping point. And if they hit that point and their money goes down, it’s a big loss as they’ve got rid of the old revenue streams. It’s their main source of income. I’m not saying they’re going anywhere. They’re almost bulletproof. But saying ratings don’t matter, when tv is the most important thing to them, is silly. There is a cut off point. It just depends how low it is. Who would have though WWE would barely be doing 1.7m viewers for raw? They were doing about 4m 5 years ago. They’ve lost 11% of their audience since last year. And last nights show drew 1.7m 2 weeks before wrestlemania! This is supposed to be the hottest period of the year.

And Not that it matters, but smackdown doesn’t regularly win Friday nights. It’s almost always beaten by shark tank.

For the last few years (at least) WWE has been of the opinion that Wrestlemania itself is the selling point, as opposed to a collection of hugely important matches. 

This year, it seems like they are relying on that as well as the visual of a live crowd of real people inside of a stadium to get them over the line.

That being said, there is little excuse for this year’s build. Easily the worst I’ve seen. Not helped by Vince altering a lot of the card 4-6 days before Fastlane, just under 4 weeks before Wrestlemania. That’s if you believe what has been reported.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Just because we've got James Arthur and Lewis Capaldi doesn't mean they'd be a draw for WWE (I've literally plucked two names there) someone like Bad Bunny is doing massive reactions for them.

What the hell have they got to do with anything? The comparison I made was to Mr T, star of a show doing massive numbers domestically and with wide-spanning international syndication, and a worldwide cultural touchstone because of both The A-Team and Rocky 3 at the time of WrestleMania in 85. Not two caterwauling bedwetters from Capital FM.

Exactly, “at the time of Wrestlemania in 85”. You’re comparing two things that are nearly 40 years apart in terms of their standing in the world of entertainment. That’s like comparing Line of Duty to Hill Street Blues

Everyone bangs on about Vince being out of touch and a mad old man, then the one time he (or whoever has convinced him to) brings someone in with some relevance, you accuse him of barrel scraping.

If anything, and even though he seems an utter moron, it’s a shame they had Rob Gronkowski last year instead of this year, coming off of winning the Super Bowl in the same stadium where WWE are making their big return

Edited by WyattSheepMask

If I'm being optimistic, I'm thinking that WWE are saving all their big, explosive feuds, their excellently well-written TV aimed at well rounded, blow off, PPV's, for the return of the audience, and that they're currently simply treading water until that time.

If I'm feeling less optimistic, (see rational) I'm thinking that WWE are a sinking ship, with no energy for creativity, and that has produced nothing I've found entertaining for a few years now. Or very little.  

5 minutes ago, ThumpSquids said:

If I'm being optimistic, I'm thinking that WWE are saving all their big, explosive feuds, their excellently well-written TV aimed at well rounded, blow off, PPV's, for the return of the audience, and that they're currently simply treading water until that time.

If I'm feeling less optimistic, (see rational) I'm thinking that WWE are a sinking ship, with no energy for creativity, and that has produced nothing I've found entertaining for a few years now. Or very little.  

Probably be waiting a while, I can't see them returning to live crowds on a weekly basis for at least this year.

Edited by The King of Old School