The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

22 hours ago, The Cutting Edge said:

Trips Vs Batista is a good example, it's good to put them together so no new guys losses but if Dave lost to and upper card guy it might've helped them.

That's basically exactly what they did with Angle/Corbin. And seemed very much as though it was the same kind of group pissing and moaning that Angle wasn't facing another part-time legend instead. Such is the hilariously fickle nature of many a wrestling fan. Vince isn't their real Dad and examples like that almost make some of Vinces ways feel understandable.

30 minutes ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

That's basically exactly what they did with Angle/Corbin. And seemed very much as though it was the same kind of group pissing and moaning that Angle wasn't facing another part-time legend instead. Such is the hilariously fickle nature of many a wrestling fan. Vince isn't their real Dad and examples like that almost make some of Vinces ways feel understandable.

Think that was more to do with Corbin, I imagine if he put over someone people somewhat liked it would be a different story, Balor, Aleister as face options or someone like Drew or Lashley would've worked at the time

Aleister Black had been on the main roster for all of 5 minutes at that point, in fact I think he and Ricochet were also working NXT up until the night before. Having him go over someone the level of Angle so early, what do you do with him afterwards?

Corbin isn’t anything spectacular in ring, but he’s safe enough that wasn’t going to cripple Kurt. In an ideal world, Angle would’ve called it a day immediately following the mixed tag match the previous year

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

The problem with something like Corbin beating Kurt Angle - and something that's far more about WWE booking than Corbin's level of ability - is that they're terrible at capitalising on that kind of thing. A star-making win only matters if you make a star out of it.

Baron Corbin beat Kurt Angle in his retirement match at Wrestlemania, then didn't have another PPV singles match until Stomping Ground three months later - it may have been the main event, but it was a defeat in an angle more about Lacey Evans than himself. Maybe WWE thought that putting him on the losing end of a feud with Seth Rollins and Becky Lynch would be great business for him, but it didn't feel like it at the time, and he didn't even make the card at Summerslam. You end the career of a Legend at Wrestlemania, and the subsequent "push" doesn't even sustain itself until Summerslam, and sees you pick up no substantial wins in the interim? 

He's floated around in the same spot he's always had ever since - a big win here, then nothing to capitalise on it, and back to being the midcard bully heel. If that's the alternative, then yeah, let the old timers fight among themselves, because beating them doesn't seem to achieve anything.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Cena might appear at Mania but I don't think it will be for this reason, they will want arena's full of fans when they do Cena's final title reign IMO, maybe 2022.

I know, I was just clutching at straws. I really think that they need something big on the card to try and get the buys, especially if they don't have 80,000 physical bodies buying merch and good etc. 

Whatever year they do it they will need to factor in when Rock/Reigns is happening. I can't remember if I read next year or the year after Reigns said it would be most likely. I think they'd have Cena's moment as the standalone/standout moment on the card. 

Now I'm rambling and thinking about it, could they drag out heel Reigns' "Head of the Family" gimmick for another 12-24 months? It's already a bit meh because it's been Jey and only Hey so far. 

Either way, will be fun to find out! 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Suplex Sinner said:

I know, I was just clutching at straws. I really think that they need something big on the card to try and get the buys

Do they even care about the buys? The company is making record profits with the lowest viewership and worst product possibly ever. Whether the show is a big success or not is basically meaningless now.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Do they even care about the buys? The company is making record profits with the lowest viewership and worst product possibly ever. Whether the show is a big success or not is basically meaningless now.

I don't honestly know if they care or not. I guess I'm still stuck in the '90s because I do tend to think about and view potential booking scenarios from a buy rate point of view because that's always what mattered. 

I suppose they don't care, the TV deal, the network deal, the Saudi ethical by pass shows are all providing them with funny money.

I do think at some point though they'll need to care again. Once the COVID situation becomes clearer (in terms of working back to normality) how many people will actually pay to go shows every week? I do think one of the consequences of the pandemic is that it'll have cost them a percentage of their fan-base. How many people are missing going to shows? TV is that bad at the moment some of those people have already turned off and I'm not convinced they'll return (to TV or physically attending shows) unless there is an upturn in quality. 

It's a regular topic of debate on here about fans etc. and I can see all sides of the argument but they can't keep producing sub-standard TV, not have the merch sales/revenue streams from being on the road and expect there not to be any consequences.

But we are all wrestling fans and we all hold out hope things will be great again so I'm telling myself that they'll have a big name/angle for Wrestlemania and I will (inevitably) be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

8 hours ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Now I'm rambling and thinking about it, could they drag out heel Reigns' "Head of the Family" gimmick for another 12-24 months? It's already a bit meh because it's been Jey and only Hey so far. 

While I agree that it'll be a challenge to drag it out that far for a match against The Rock, I wouldn't say it's got to the 'meh' stage yet. Roman's still killing it every week. 

Insanity to say that Roman’s act has become meh. Actual, certifiable insanity.

He’s the highlight of the entire company by such distance, to the point where I don’t think they’ve ever had such a gaping chasm between their main star and the rest of their roster.

The ‘head of the family’ thing probably started off as a little Hail Mary to try and get The Rock interested, but as it turns out it’s just an absolutely phenomenal character trait to emphasise in Roman.

Incredible.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Insanity to say that Roman’s act has become meh. Actual, certifiable insanity.

He’s the highlight of the entire company by such distance, to the point where I don’t think they’ve ever had such a gaping chasm between their main star and the rest of their roster.

The ‘head of the family’ thing probably started off as a little Hail Mary to try and get The Rock interested, but as it turns out it’s just an absolutely phenomenal character trait to emphasise in Roman.

Incredible.

I'm allowed to have an opinion. He's still the standout on the show and his matches have been brilliant. I am however, over hearing "head of the family" every five minutes as I'm typical WWE fashion, it's done to death. 

Nothing "certifiable" about it as I'm sure mental health advocates/professionals would attest to. 

Jesus, what a dull way of shutting down a discussion about wrestling. Everyone’s allowed an opinion, it’s a discussion forum. Everyone’s allowed to have their opinion challenged. Chill out.

You’ll be surprised to hear I don’t actually think medical diagnoses can be made based on opinions on wrestling. 

Either way, I don’t think you can separate his performances from his character. The character of Roman is defined by how deeply he’s internalised the importance of being head of the table. Every perceived slight as a challenge to his position as the head of the family and his ability to provide for his family. If you took the character away, you’d have nothing.

He’s a Samoan mob boss, obsessed with his own gnarled view of respect and what he deserves. It’s fantastic.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz