The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members

Re : belt names. I've never seen one before, no-one has, but I'm guessing it's a White Hole.

45 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Make the Universal Championship exactly that. The top belt. The Champion of everything. The Champion of the Universe. Then the World Title is a slight rung below it. and then the US/IC title below that.

But yeah, two world titles of 'equal' value is a no from me.

The problem with that is, with two shows and two rosters where two blokes are going to be "the champion" its massively counter-productive to present one as overtly more important the other. In terms of getting people to watch the shows or buy tickets to events, you can't have anyone feeling short-changed if they have the "lesser" champion, even though that's exactly what they fell into with Roman's rarely contested Neverending Story of a run with the Undefeated, Undisputed, WWE Heavyweight Champion of Life, The Universe And Everything, gobbling up all challengers into the Nothing, and Seth's Silver Medal - defended most months but nobody really wanted to win it anyway.

The nearest they got to parity was in the first brand split - SmackDown, the junior and fairly obviously less important TV show, still had the WWE title, the oldest title in company history, still regarded as THE title. While Raw, though in possession of the brand new/revived title with the Big Gold Belt as its symbol, could still argue the toss that it had an argument to have THE top guy, because they were champion on the flagship brand and expected to be drawing the ratings on THE show. But they fucked that by swapping Cena and Batista over and taking the respective titles with them, even then.

34 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I'm sorry but someone being Champion of the universe while also having someone who's "only" Champion of the world is just so insane and stupid I can't get my head around it at all.

Whilst I don't disagree with this necessarily, it's a language issue more than anything.

The 'Universe' thing is something they themselves have set up, it's the construct they hold above all else; the 'WWE Universe'.

I don't really care what they call it, but their should 100% be a clear dividing line between the major title and everything else. That's the main point. Having two equally weighted titles is stupid.

1 minute ago, air_raid said:

Re : belt names. I've never seen one before, no-one has, but I'm guessing it's a White Hole.

The problem with that is, with two shows and two rosters where two blokes are going to be "the champion" its massively counter-productive to present one as overtly more important the other. In terms of getting people to watch the shows or buy tickets to events, you can't have anyone feeling short-changed if they have the "lesser" champion, even though that's exactly what they fell into with Roman's rarely contested Neverending Story of a run with the Undefeated, Undisputed, WWE Heavyweight Champion of Life, The Universe And Everything, gobbling up all challengers into the Nothing, and Seth's Silver Medal - defended most months but nobody really wanted to win it anyway.

The nearest they got to parity was in the first brand split - SmackDown, the junior and fairly obviously less important TV show, still had the WWE title, the oldest title in company history, still regarded as THE title. While Raw, though in possession of the brand new/revived title with the Big Gold Belt as its symbol, could still argue the toss that it had an argument to have THE top guy, because they were champion on the flagship brand and expected to be drawing the ratings on THE show. But they fucked that by swapping Cena and Batista over and taking the respective titles with them, even then.

I was momentarily cheered by Cody saying he wanted to work both shows as Champion, which felt like a step in the right direction, but they seem to have shut him down on that.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Sami Zayn’s entrance was the stuff of legend. 

Absolutely brilliant. Can Sami be the permanent undisputed intergalactic multidimensional champion of Canada or something. 

• Paid Members

Wasn't Lance Storm the undisputed intergalactic multidimensional champion of Canada in WCW?

• Paid Members

IMG_8074.gif.c162ae4760b0a9bb6e2e061e6a0a6c10.gif

This shot in particular is absolutely magical. Up there with The Rock walking out of the darkness. Whoever is directing their shows these days is infinitely better than the previous shit show. 

Super fitting the way the camera zooms out from Sami to reveal the packed house. Metaphor for the last three years. I still attribute this new boom period to Sami’s performance in the Bloodline. Turned the whole company around. Great to see him getting his flowers.

Just now, Supremo said:

IMG_8074.gif.c162ae4760b0a9bb6e2e061e6a0a6c10.gif

This shot in particular is absolutely magical. Up there with The Rock walking out of the darkness. Whoever is directing their shows these days is infinitely better than the previous shit show. 

Super fitting the way the camera zooms out from Sami to reveal the packed house. Metaphor for the last three years. I still attribute this new boom period to Sami’s performance in the Bloodline. Turned the whole company around. Great to see him getting his flowers.

I'm sure it was just a throwaway comment, just something Jey Uso says, but I thought 'Go get it Uso' before Sami's entrance was weirdly moving.

He wasn't the needy little gimp seeking validation but getting mocked anymore. He wasn't even Jey's mate he picked up after leaving for Raw. He was finally, after years of trying, an equal. An Uso. One of the guys.

It just felt like a lovely little touch.

Go get it Uso, indeed.

Echo the thoughts of that Sami entrance, looks like I need to hold my hands up and admit I was wrong about him losing his spark a bit with the crowd. Jey pushing the fan just before it was hilarious too. 

As far as brand naming titles, it’s been shown how terrible that is when it comes to draft time and people are swapping belts. World and WWE is fine with me. They aren’t quite presenting world on the same level anyway or trying to fool us into thinking it is as they are keeping “Undisputed” before WWE and have been very clear on Cody leading this new era.

• Paid Members

All I could think of during Sheamus' match was that it felt like a real life version of Randy Marsh vs Batdad at the kids baseball in South Park. 

2 big guys in their pants having a punch up after being on the beers all day. 

I know he's been off with a serious injury but if he's coming back in that shape, he probably should have kept the vest, braces and bottoms. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, FUM said:

Echo the thoughts of that Sami entrance, looks like I need to hold my hands up and admit I was wrong about him losing his spark a bit with the crowd. 

Not shitting on the presentation at all, because the whole bit was superbly shot. But he was in his home town of Montreal.

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Not shitting on the presentation at all, because the whole bit was superbly shot. But he was in his home town of Montreal.

Can you never just give credit where its due? It was class. Montreal or not. 

YouTubed Sami coming out. I love a hometown entrance and especially when it's someone as incredibly likeable as Sami Zayn. Loved it, hometown crowd or not, it was well deserved and shot wonderfully. 

Something I've read about is the changes in production on their TV. I hope people enjoy it more because fucking hell it really highlighted how Kevin Dunn had coasted since the early 2000's.