The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

11 minutes ago, Perry said:

The mind boggles how anyone can sit through this shite live, especially in the UK till 4am. And yet you still see loads of daft hardcore fans happily tweeting during all 3 miserable hours of it. Can't remember the last time I watched a full episode of Raw or Smackdown

To be honest, if I was going to watch it then it'd be with that general interaction to try and enhance the fun of it. I get why people do the whole tweeting and social media stuff. It's just sorta like watching with your mates in the weirdest way possible. But yeah, no chance I'd sit up til 4am watching this doing it.

Why are "old guys" now the enemy of certain fans, I know Batista got some abuse for coming back in 2014, Goldberg gets tonnes of heat anytime something is posted about him and now I've seen Edge getting flack for returning?

Used properly to put guys over then they have alot of value.

Also favourite of the week names seem to be pulled from a hat, and they want some bland guys to be world champion (everyone deserves a strap) like Gulak, Cesaro etc I really want guys like that to be world champs just to see what would happen.

Anyway hopefully the Rumble will get some new shit going and end other stuff, few returns might add to the shows aswell like Edge, Rollins, Aleister etc

5 hours ago, Sergio Bellend said:

Really odd that whole spell was. She was a heel, then turned face with that promo after Alexa Bliss (I think) wasn’t being very nice to her. Had a ‘Wrestlemania moment’ then promptly turned straight back heel again. All in the space of about 2 months. 

I remember the storyline was just so outdated also. Alexa was essentially fat shaming her as if it was the attitude era, nobody really bought into it and did any one really buy Nia as a face? I see people defend Nia saying stuff like "You only point out her mistakes and nobody elses" which is a fair angle except Nia's botches are so freaking dangerous.

What will it take for WWE to ditch her?

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

Why are "old guys" now the enemy of certain fans, I know Batista got some abuse for coming back in 2014, Goldberg gets tonnes of heat anytime something is posted about him and now I've seen Edge getting flack for returning?

Used properly to put guys over then they have alot of value.

Batista was fine until they screwed over Bryan for him at the Rumble. Goldberg was well received for his first return. It’s just diminishing returns ever since.

40 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

funny that, i've yet to see any abuse aimed at sting.😏

13 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Batista was fine until they screwed over Bryan for him at the Rumble. Goldberg was well received for his first return. It’s just diminishing returns ever since.

Possibly but I think Batista backlash started when his return was announced but that could've been because they knew a Rumble win was coming, ironically Roman got "screwed" and should've won talk too at that time.

9 minutes ago, buba3d said:

Khan is master booker don't forget 

@The Cutting Edge It’s the CM Punk “whose going to be here next week” thing with the old guys, you can only ride the nostalgia train for so long.

Thats not to say that they don’t have value, but it’s very much on a case by case basis and how they’re used at the expense of others. Take Batista v HHH from WM35 for example. You had a match between two guys who’d faced each other at Wrestlemania 14 years previously. Batista had become a star outside of wrestling, he didn’t need to do it, nor did HHH, so what was the purpose of it?
Much like certain music festivals, they’ve become too reliant on the same old acts to get by. Bar a couple of people, no one in WWE is a star, and they’re never going to be stars if they don’t get the chance to become one unless they’re given the TV or PPV time.

Similar thing with Edge, he & Orton had their first matches against each other in 2004, 16 years previous to the most recent one. They’ve at least tried to differentiate that with Edge saying that he wants the title back because he didn’t lose it.

I liked Goldberg back in the day, and the series with Lesnar a few years back was great, but he’s had his time now. What does beating 54 year old Goldberg do for Drew McIntyre? He’s already the champion and (supposedly) the top babyface, he isn’t going to be elevated by beating Goldberg because he should be beating Goldberg.

33 minutes ago, buba3d said:

Maybe not 'abuse' but plenty of 'oh I hope he does something other than come out like Darby's dad every week' recently. But then also 'oh shit, he really shouldn't be wrestling' so can't win either way really.

39 minutes ago, buba3d said:

Dunno where your looking, some of those weird hardcores loathe Sting is an AEW, most complaints are that he's either old, detracting from Darby Allin or that they could put a women's segment in there.

• Paid Members

"Old guys" haven't just been the enemy since CM Punk started hating part timers. It's been a narrative right back to mid 90s WCW. Jesus, Vince himself was the originator.

FWIW for those still butthurt by AEW, I don't recall anyone particularly dissenting agains Sting in WWE either. Probably because it's nothing to do with his age but the fact he doesn't show up every five minutes.

Is it really a surprise people don’t want to see Goldberg anymore? His return in 2016 was great because he had a genuine purpose for coming back, and he had a good storyline in place with Lesnar. Since then, he’s had a pointless match with Ziggler of all people, an absolute horror show against Undertaker, and then an utterly pointless return to put over Roman, which didn’t end up happening.

Now he’s coming to defend the honour of legends against a man who has been nothing but respectful towards them. His return promo was absolutely baffling, and I’m still not sure what beef he has with McIntyre. It’s rubbish.

Oh agreed Rick, it’s nothing new but they seem to have leaned on nostalgia very heavily in the last decade pretty much since The Rock came back at WM27.

Speaking of CM Punk, some seem to have in their heads that because they’ve not gone with Edge as the surprise return, then Punks coming back and winning this Sunday. They’ll be disappointed come Monday morning

I find it strange that for years WWE didn't seem to care about Goldberg, they gave him a run in '03, he more or less flopped (depending how you look at it) and then he was just the 'WCW guy', now the last few years they are using him every year as 'the legend', he has now won more belts in WWE than WCW which is really mental when you think about it.

It's almost as if Vince one day suddenly fell in love with him and now can't see him as anything but awesome.

Bit like the Power Rangers storyline where Rita put a spell on Lord Zedd.