VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

Watched Rollerball last night (obviously the 1975 one) been about 15 years since I last watched it and I still believe it's one of the greatest movies ever. The future displayed here is more like current times than I remember with corporations running the world and there no longer being any nations. Society no longer cares about freedom because they have comfort and luxury. I wonder if we all wouldn't accept that if offered to us today. The rollerball games are still very well done and hold up for it's time, although the violence seems tame you can feel the impact of all those crashes and collisions, Love LOVE  LOVE the final scene as well.

• Paid Members

Another round-up of 2021 releases I've watched the past few weeks;

Synchronic started really well but like a lot of these type of sci-fi films, loses its way a lot towards the end and seems to break its own rules (disclaimer, I could just be thick). Anthony Mackie is as great as ever though. Greenland is a terrific nail-biter of a disaster film and further proof that Gerard Butler doesn't deserve the amount of shit he gets from mutants like Mark Kermode and their ilk. Morena Baccarin too, jesus christ that woman is attractive. Malcolm & Marie seemed a bit 'screenwriter trying too hard' but both performances were fantastic and it gave me PTSD to never-ending arguments with the ex so job done in that regard, I guess.

I saw Bliss on my list of watched films and it took me a good minute to remember what it was, which says it all. For the record it's a shit faux-reality sub-Matrix piece of bollocks that bored the shite out of me. One to avoid. PVT Chat was a strange low-budget indie film that could've veered into generic stalker territory but was a little more interesting than that. I wasn't really enjoying the first half hour but by the end I was gripped. I'd seen Barb And Star Go To Vista Del Mar described as Hot Rod meets Bridesmaids and while it could never live up to that tag, it was entertaining enough. A little over-long though. Jamie Dornan should do more like this, it's the first time I've enjoyed him. 

News Of The World and Palmer are both predictable 'man looks after child' films which have been done hundreds of times before, but when they're done well who cares? Both of them get by on the likeability of their leads and are well-told stories. Seeing Tom Hanks in a western made me smile. And I'm stunned Justin Timberlake hasn't done more over the last 10 years. Lastly To All The Boys: Always And Forever was a nice enough end to the trilogy, although it's quite a feat that they managed to drag three films out of a relationship where not a lot happens. 

12 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Lastly To All The Boys: Always And Forever was a nice enough end to the trilogy, although it's quite a feat that they managed to drag three films out of a relationship where not a lot happens. 

Best film of 2021, won't be topped, pure 11/10. The way they shoehorned in a band that hasn't been relevant in 20 years for absolutely no reason was incredible.

Thought 

Spoiler

Peter was turning heel when he found out Lara Jean was going to NYU but the boy came good in the end.

• Paid Members

The Map of Tiny Perfect Things (Prime)

Another timeloop-er, in a similar vein to Palm Springs in that it's more of a romcom. Nice and undemanding stuff, and Kathryn Newton's really going places, she's having a great year or so after this and Freaky.

Highlander (TCM)

Probably just as well Pitcos isn't around because he'd block me for this, but this is still shit. Not enough action, too long, too stupid, and not enough Connery.

The Slammin' Salmon (pirate)

I bloody love Broken Lizard and even though this isn't their best, it's still full of great gags and a top cast and Michael Clarke Duncan being the best as ever.

MacGruber (pirate)

CALL 911

I Care A Lot 

Performance wise, this doesn’t really put a foot wrong, the only complaint I have is that Dianne Weist is so underused. The scenes where her and The Lovely Rosamund trade threats is sublime and you wish for more. 
Ultimately though, the film can’t decide what it wants to be. It starts as a black comedy and thanks to the performance from TLR it absolutely works. Then it switches to a revenge thriller type and for me this is where it sagged, mainly because there is literally nobody to root for. Much like Gone Girl, TLR doesn’t play an anti hero, she plays a sociopath who, especially here, fucks over a load of innocent people. And she is going up against a gangster who human traffics girls into prostitution. 

Worth a watch for the acting but if it stuck to one genre, it could’ve been brilliant as opposed to good. 

BBC 2 had a bit of an Alfred Hitchcock afternoon today, showing The Lady Vanishes and Suspicion as well as two episodes of their Talking Pictures documentary series, one on the great man himself and the other on one of his leading ladies Joan Fontaine. The films themselves were standard Hitchcock fare, enjoyed The Lady Vanishes slightly more though Fontaine is excellent alongside Cary Grant in Suspicion

5 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I Care A Lot 

Performance wise, this doesn’t really put a foot wrong, the only complaint I have is that Dianne Weist is so underused. The scenes where her and The Lovely Rosamund trade threats is sublime and you wish for more. 
Ultimately though, the film can’t decide what it wants to be. It starts as a black comedy and thanks to the performance from TLR it absolutely works. Then it switches to a revenge thriller type and for me this is where it sagged, mainly because there is literally nobody to root for. Much like Gone Girl, TLR doesn’t play an anti hero, she plays a sociopath who, especially here, fucks over a load of innocent people. And she is going up against a gangster who human traffics girls into prostitution. 

Worth a watch for the acting but if it stuck to one genre, it could’ve been brilliant as opposed to good. 

Just finished this. It was ok, but you know Rosamund means business when she rocks up with that bob.

Also watched Waynes World and the sequel as part of self care Saturday, and had the best night in ages. Just lovely, fun, happy films. Smiled the whole way through.

Now obsessed with the idea of Komrades from 2 as well, which I had forgotten about. Dream nightclub. spacer.png

• Paid Members

Stuck for something to entertain my son, I gave Pudsey The Dog: The Movie a try. Remember Pudsey? The dog from BGT that could stand on his hind legs and turn round?

What an absolute pile of shit. Just the laziest script possible, insulting to even a child audience with it's lack of effort. David Walliams voices the inner-monologue of Pudsey, but puts so little effort in, he was probably browsing the Currys website and trying to figure out what to spend his fee on while recording it. He's so shit, it's like someone doing a pisstake of David Walliams.

Pudsey's input was to sit there and have his mouth animated less convincingly than Reagan walking like an Egyptians in The Bangles pop video, and occasionally he would stand on his hind legs and turn around for the most tenuous of reasons.

It probably turned into some overly moralistic feelgood movie at some point, but as a pig claiming to be a chicken and then shitting on the floor couldn't even hold the attention of a four year old, we didn't make it to the end.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

It probably turned into some overly moralistic feelgood movie at some point, but as a pig claiming to be a chicken and then shitting on the floor couldn't even hold the attention of a four year old, we didn't make it to the end.

Spoilers. He gets rabies and starts biting everyone around with hilarious consequences until the police chase him into an ally and shoot him multiple times*.

*At a guess, as it was written by Digitisers Mr Biffo himself.

• Moderators

I watched the original Jungle Book with my daughter last weekend. It's held up really well, and the music is still just brilliant. Not just the big numbers but the rest of the score, too. I worried with an older film like that that the pacing might be too slow and not hold her attention but she loved it. She popped hard when

Spoiler

Baloo came back to bail Mowgli out in the big showdown with Shere Khan, and my wife cried when she thought Baloo was dead after.

10/10.

Class Reunion (1982) (YouTube)

Part of the National Lampoon's franchise.  Walter Baylor (played by Blackie Dammett, the father of Anthony Kiedis) was the victim of a humiliating high school prank on Graduation Day (he got wanked off my his twin sister in front of the school - don't ask!) and ten years later at the class reunion looks to get some revenge on those involved.  Pretty much a parody of slasher flicks with a motley crue of characters.  There are a few laughs in there, mostly provided by Zane Buzby's Dolores, but on the whole this is poor.  Bar the parody element, the horror Slaughter High (1985) steals the plot almost exactly from this.