VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Has anyone here watched any of the Roald Dahl ones he's done for Netflix? I've not got around to it yet

I watched the first one and didn't care for it that much, but I haven't got round to the rest.

• Paid Members

I got a £5 Prime Video voucher to use, and saw they had the whole Back To The Future trilogy in there for £3.99. That'll do me. 

• Paid Members

5 nights at Freddie's 

Is it just me or did this film just not make any sense? I had nothing against the concept or the way it looks (never played the games) but it's so badly put together and all over the place that it was just fucking nonsense.

Trolls 3

I thought this was great, I love the character design in these films (except I hate their stupid cloud caterpillar vehicle) and I was really stoned in the cinema with no one else in the screen and was just enjoying the absolute assault of mad sounds and visuals. Its crazy how intense kids films are now, not with their themes but just the level of visual and audio stimulation is something people wouldn't have been able to comprehend a generation ago.

I loved the design of the funny big puppet people and Velvet and Veneer, they looked so cool.

3 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Has anyone here watched any of the Roald Dahl ones he's done for Netflix? I've not got around to it yet

11 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

There’s some Anderson short films adapted from Roald Dahl stories on Netflix. The Henry Sugar one was delightful. 

Today I Learned Chest has me on ignore and it makes me like him even more. 

But yeah, you know the way Anderson does flashbacks like a Theatre production? The whole of Henry Sugar is like that and it breezes by in no time. Great cast too

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Trolls 3

I thought this was great, I love the character design in these films (except I hate their stupid cloud caterpillar vehicle) and I was really stoned in the cinema with no one else in the screen and was just enjoying the absolute assault of mad sounds and visuals. Its crazy how intense kids films are now, not with their themes but just the level of visual and audio stimulation is something people wouldn't have been able to comprehend a generation ago.

I loved the design of the funny big puppet people and Velvet and Veneer, they looked so cool.

Amazingly it was a friend of ours who worked on their design. I’m sure she’ll be delighted by your review.

Bottoms: I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this at first, if starts of like it could be a bit too "lolrandom" but quickly becomes a very funny new take on the teen sex comedy with just the right amount of Gen Z surrealism. I'm not sure I can truly buy Rachel Sennott as a teenager but she's the best (outside of the film she has the most chaotic energy, too, I'm in love) and Ayo Edebiri is just as great in her role.

• Paid Members

Feeling properly shit after the cinema closest to me (<10min walk) is closing down a week Thursday. Only opened 15 years ago as part of the newest shopping development, and now there's only a decaying Odeon nearby or the same chain as the nice one half an hour away in a retail park that's almost inaccessible by foot. has a fraction of the footfall and looks like it's fallling apart from the outside.

Fucking landlords.

I’ve always found Wes Anderson extremely samey, in that every film is a quirky art project with characters acting strangely and looking slightly beyond the camera.  I get quite bored now about an hour into them.  

Every film is this -

Except this looks a bit better as at least it’s something different!