VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

He's mostly awful, especially his comedy films  His first Halloween was really good but after that he tried too hard to avoid the diminishing returns of slasher sequels and ended up making two steaming piles of shit. If he hadn't already died a while back then seeing The Exorcist: Believer may well have finished William Friedkin off anyway.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

He's mostly awful, especially his comedy films  His first Halloween was really good but after that he tried too hard to avoid the diminishing returns of slasher sequels and ended up making two steaming piles of shit. If he hadn't already died a while back then seeing The Exorcist: Believer may well have finished William Friedkin off anyway.

His thoughts on the matter.

TTC96AC.jpg

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

He did the Pineapple Express movies and Your Highness so I guess he must be pretty tight with Danny McBride. 

He and Danny McBride also co-wrote their 3 Halloween Movies, which is surprising as none of them really had any stoner jokes in them. Certainly wouldn't have made either of the sequels worse if they had.

• Paid Members

So I'm watching a lot of horror stuff this month obvs but I went to see Fair Play at the cinema last week (it's on Netflix now) and it's one of the best films of the year. It's being slightly mismarketed as an erotic thriller and it's not really? Sex does play its part but it's not like it's some Shannon Whirry film. Just an excellent psychological thriller about workplace and relationship misogyny. It does have Eddie Marsan in it, unfortunately, but Sally Webster's daughter is fantastic in it and Alden Ehrenreich almost as good. Superb film.

Notable horror stuff I've watched so far:-

Bird Box Barcelona (Netflix)

I remember quite liking the original but I can't remember why. This is awful though, aside from the first 15 minutes or so. Goes really religious with its themes and it's 20 minutes too long. Even Georgina Campbell can't save it, just watch her in Barbarian instead. Shite.

Unwelcome

Really disappointing too. Same guy who did the excellent Grabbers but the tone of this was really all over the place and aggressively anti-working class for some weird reason. Just show us the fucking leprechauns you dick. Hannah John-Kamen has a blood shower scene though so find that one on Mr. Skin.

The Feast (2021)

Welsh language horror! And really good, too, one of the better folk horror films by far since The Witch had everyone making them. Slow going to start off with but rewarding with how disgustingly violent it becomes.

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night

Even better than when I first saw it. Not to everyone's tastes but a skateboarding Muslim vampire should be. Ana Lily Amirpour's other two films (The Bad Batch and especially Mona Lisa and the Blood Moon) are well worth seeing too.

The Pope's Exorcist

Fat era Russell Crowe is the best Russell Crowe era. He doesn't care anymore and he just wants to make films in nice places. And he deserves it. This was a load of predictable fun.

The Black Phone

Nah, not for me. A decent idea wasted on tedious abusive father / school bullying / trauma subplots. The kids are great but I wasn't sold on Ethan Hawke and his masks, really.

Pearl

Ti West is rubbish. This was supposed to be better than X and it ain't. Mia Goth needs to start picking good films to be in, she's too ridiculously good to be in this sort of junk.

We’re All Going to the World’s Fair (Shudder)

Excellent stuff, based around internet fads and with a clear nod to transition anxiety. I loved this but it will divide opinion, you've every right to think it's boring.

No One Will Save You (Prime)

Really enjoyable. Goes a bit too predictable at the end but the silence gimmick wasn't distracting and the atmosphere and design of it all was very nice indeed. Kaitlyn Dever is just so good at this.

M3gan 

Really annoyed I didn't see this at the cinema. I presumed it would be jumpscare central and I'm not sure there was a single one. Very funny and self-knowing without being too aggressive about it, one of the biggest surprises of the year. The Titanium bit was inspired.

• Members
3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

So I'm watching a lot of horror stuff this month obvs but I went to see Fair Play at the cinema last week (it's on Netflix now) and it's one of the best films of the year. It's being slightly mismarketed as an erotic thriller and it's not really? Sex does play its part but it's not like it's some Shannon Whirry film. Just an excellent psychological thriller about workplace and relationship misogyny. It does have Eddie Marsan in it, unfortunately, but Sally Webster's daughter is fantastic in it and Alden Ehrenreich almost as good. Superb film.

Really enjoyed this the other night, and completely agree with the mis sell, as it goes into darker themes of, as you've mentioned, misogyny, jealousy, control. 

I don't mind Marsan as an actor, its him as a bloody person I can't stand, and great to see Rich Sommer pop up, always a grade A twat in most things he's in. He's brilliant.

Will try some of those horrors as I do really struggle with it as a genre. 

Rewatched Carrie, which obviously is still bloody great.

She was completely justified in her actions. Those kids deserved to burn.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Pearl

This was supposed to be better than X and it ain't.

I really quite enjoyed X and watched this off the back of it.  At least X had a lot of gratuitous boob in it.

Mia Goth's scene at the table was too good for the rest of the film.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Will try some of those horrors as I do really struggle with it as a genre.

Definitely try No One Will Save You, I think you'll like it. In fact, I think you'd like most of the ones I mentioned above, the good ones that is.

• Paid Members

Gave John Wick 4 a watch this morning now that it's turned up on on Amazon Prime.

It was pretty good. Not as many people getting kicked in the dick, but the dog was cool. I bet it hurt taking that bump down all those steps at the end. Donnie Yen was good, but then he's Donnie Yen, so he's bound to be. That big German fella taking that spill over the railing and landing headfirst on that staircase was grim, but it's always a cracking action yarn. I bet it cost a fortune CGing his finger out as well. Might give the Continental a watch next.

• Paid Members

Up at 6am today to go to the press screening of Poor Things. 

It's bonkers, looks amazing and Emma Stone is great. Best thing I've seen at the festival this year. 

Edited by Weezenal
London Film Festival

• Paid Members

The Creator (cinema)

A decent effort at finding the Villeneuve line between intelligent and accessible sci-fi. Just a bit too slow at crucial moments to really excite but it looks ten times better than recent films that have had triple its budget. Enjoyed it, though.

The Wicker Man (1973)

Probably this country's greatest ever horror film and probably its weirdest too. There's never been anything like it even with the recent raft of folk horror.

Enys Men

Mark Jenkin's follow-up to the superb Bait. Even weirder and harder to pin down and absolutely certain to bore 50% of its audience but I thought it was excellent, and Jenkin is a unique artist to be celebrated.

Berberian Sound Studio

Still love this. Again, not to everyone's taste but Peter Strickland could be this country's best filmmaker right now. Amusing to see Toby Jones getting precious over his equipment after watching Detectorists.

Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Far and away Zack Snyder's best film. Just really enjoyable and bloody and very well paced with a good cast, too. Shame he has to stick a shitty garish colour filter over everything but it is Snyder after all.

Night of the Creeps

Excellent horror comedy that I enjoyed even more on a rewatch. Works as a very funny university campus comedy too. Surprised someone hasn't remade it by now.

27 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Wicker Man (1973)

Probably this country's greatest ever musical and probably its weirdest too. There's never been anything like it even with the recent raft of folk musicals.

Fixed that for you, chief!

• Paid Members
On 10/13/2023 at 1:25 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

Gave John Wick 4 a watch this morning now that it's turned up on on Amazon Prime.

It was pretty good. Not as many people getting kicked in the dick, but the dog was cool. I bet it hurt taking that bump down all those steps at the end. Donnie Yen was good, but then he's Donnie Yen, so he's bound to be. That big German fella taking that spill over the railing and landing headfirst on that staircase was grim, but it's always a cracking action yarn. I bet it cost a fortune CGing his finger out as well. Might give the Continental a watch next.

The Continental was fun. Only 3 parts. We'll worth a watch.

The fight scenes in Wick 4 were great, but as a film it was too long and too much plotty po-faced talking.  Cut 40 minutes and it would have been better.