VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator
33 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

I think that sums it up really well. I really want to watch it again as soon as possible but subtitled instead of dubbed.

Subtitled is definitely the way to go. I didn't watch the dubbed version but couldn't imagine it working as well without the German.

Enola Holmes 2. Normally not big on breaking the fourth wall but it works well here, probably because MBB is so good. Really enjoyable film. 

Speaking of enjoyable, Rons Gone Wrong was lovely. The film has a huge heart and warmth about it. Really really sweet stuff. 

• Paid Members

Watched Aladdin and the Return of Jafar sequel with my nephews. Good fun but a point of contention for me - Jafar's death scene at the end is bloody terrifying. It frightened the living daylights out of me, let alone the little ones. And apparently this a watered-down version of it compared to the original release - which is even worse. Bloody hell. 

Edit - Not for me, Clive

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

Chip ’n Dale: Rescue Rangers

I only watched this because of Andy Samberg's involvement and it was only really passable because of him. Otherwise a lot of Disney in-jokes I didn't care about or understand because Disney is shit. Comparisons to Roger Rabbit are hilarious.

Enola Holmes 2 (Netflix)

Not quite as fun as the first one but still a light, breezy and well made film. Millie Bobby Brown probably contributes 95% of why it's so good, in fairness. David Thewlis just did his Fargo character, which was funny.

Beavis and Butt-Head Do the Universe

Yep, they're still funny as fuck. The prison scene could be the best thing they've ever been involved in. Loved it.

The Fallout

Really good high school drama about the aftermath of a mass shooting. The opening and closing scenes have stuck with me. Jenna Ortega is such a good actress, she should be doing more stuff like this and not bobbins horror flicks.

Operation Mincemeat

Really boring version of a story that should have comfortably made for an enjoyable dad film. Instead it's more a love triangle film. What the fuck for?

Catch the Fair One

There are loads of these small town, indie crime thrillers around and this is about as good and limited as the rest. Superb lead performance from Kali Reis, ballses the ending up though.

All My Friends Hate Me (BFI channel on Prime)

No idea why this is being listed as a horror film. It isn't. It also isn't very good but I can't be doing with this sort of cringe black comedy stuff. Georgina Campbell's great though.

They/Them

It actually handles the gender / sexuality stuff better than I thought it would. The problem is that as a horror film it's really fucking boring because it's spending too much time trying to be sensitive and inclusive. A waste of time.

Day Shift (Netflix)

Wouldn't have thought a Jamie Foxx Netflix vampire comedy would be one of the nicer surprises of the year, but here we are. Natasha Liu Bordizzo is very lovely.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Watched Aladdin and the Return of Jafar sequel with my nephews. Good fun but a point of contention for me - Jafar's death scene at the end is bloody terrifying. It frightened the living daylights out of me, let alone the little ones. And apparently this a watered-down version of it compared to the original release - which is even worse. Bloody hell. 

Why has a genie got a skeleton? Nonsense.

• Paid Members

Falling For Christmas

One for the kids but not a patch on your older Christmas classics. On in the background with the other half watching while I knocked together an edit about a cow fertiliser product for work. I think my edit about the cow fertiliser project might actually be better. 

The Lost City

Quite funny, very easy and relaxing watch. Sandra Bullock…basically does a Sandra Bullock and acts as you’d expect. Changing Tatum does the muscle-bound goof with a conscience, standard. Daniel Radcliffe is actually quite decent and funny as the main antagonist. Good bit-part from Brad Pitt as well. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Daniel Radcliffe is actually quite decent and funny as the main antagonist. 

This needs nipping in the Bud. Daniel Radcliffe is decent and funny in anything which doesn’t start “Harry Potter and”. If you’ve only seen him in that, I get it. But he’s having a right old laugh with his career (his Weird Al was a lot of fun just recently as well)

• Paid Members

Weird.  Although a little long, really enjoyed this biopic of Weird Al Yankovic.

Spoiler

Expected a nice story around his wonderfully supportive parents and how he got to where he is today.  Surprised they went down the parody route, but it was quite apt really.