VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

The Stranger

Bleak Australian crime drama starring Joel Edgerton and Sean Harris. If you like this sort of thing then you’ll have the added benefit of one of Britains best actors starring in it. Very grim and slow but these things always are.

X

Plenty of titty on show but only the faintest outline of Kid Kudi dong. Other than that it’s not very good. Creates a nice unsettling tone but doesn’t do anything overly interesting with it.

• Paid Members

I watched a lot of films at London Film Festival and have to say that The Banshees of Inisherin was not just my film of the festival, but possibly film of the year.  I think it's out this week so highly recommend you go see it. 

19 hours ago, Weezenal said:

I watched a lot of films at London Film Festival and have to say that The Banshees of Inisherin was not just my film of the festival, but possibly film of the year.  I think it's out this week so highly recommend you go see it. 

I have just got back from watching it and I don't think I've laughed as much at a film in ages and also been utterly melancholic about one as well. Fuck me that is a cracking piece of work. I love McDonagh's writing and I think this may be his best piece ever (I include the plays)

Farrell may rightly win the Oscar for this, that man's facial expressions are heartbreaking.

• Paid Members

I was cautious about The Banshees of Inisherin because McDonagh hasn't done anything really good since In Bruges and Three Billboards was shit. (As a side note, his brother is due a good film as well.)

But it's his best and most mature film yet. Light on 'event' but heavy on theme. It only slips into being too daft once or twice but otherwise a great piece of work and one of the best films of the year. Jenny the miniature donkey is an absolute superstar, too.

I'm off to see the original Nosferatu with a live score this week. I've seen a few times before, but I haven't seen much of the director's other works, so I decided to check a few of his films out. 

City Girl is a romantic movie that came out at the end of the silent era. The plot about a wheat farmer falling in love with a woman from the city is simple, but the charm of the attractive lead couple and the stunning cinematography carries this film through it's brisk run-time. Seeing as feature-films were over a decade and a half old at this point, they've iron out all the crinkles and this doesn't suffer from any of the other growing pains that a lot of early movies had. If you've seen all the other silent classics and still want more, give this one a watch. 

Although it might a touch too long for my tastes, Faust might just be the most metal film of all time. Based on the folk-tale of the same name, this film is about a bet that a demon has with an archangel that the demon can corrupt a man's soul. The special effects in this were mind-blowing and I have no idea how they would have pulled them off back with the primitive technology they had back in 1926. Some of the final scenes gave me strong Dr. Caligari vibes. This is essential viewing for anyone who wants to dip their toes into silent cinema. 

• Paid Members

Mrs. Harris Goes To Paris - If you like these type of 'Sunday-evening watch it with your mam over a cup of tea' type films, this is right up your street. If not you'll hate it. I find them to be quite a guilty pleasure so I had fun with it. I also watched Mr Malcolms List which ticks this box too.

The Black Phone - It's fine. Ethan Hawke is having a load of fun. This 70s/80s IT/Stranger Things setting is getting really overplayed though.

Vengeance - Loved this. It has a lot to say and never quite went in the direction I expected. Looking forwards to seeing what BJ Novak does next.

Nothing Compares - Incredibly one-sided documentary (these things always are) about Sinead O'Connor. It's okay, but it's more of an hagiography than anything. I never realised how gorgeous she was in her prime!

Halloween Ends - Out of all the possible routes they could've gone to wrap this mess up, they chose the worst. Nonsensical and terrible.

Jurassic World Dominion - I put off watching this for a while because I'd heard bad things. I quite enjoyed it though. It reminded me of Jurassic Park III in just embracing how daft the whole thing is, but whereas that was a fun little B-movie this just decided to see how many different types of blockbuster they could cram in. There's an espionage bit, an Indiana Jones-esque bit, a Fast and Furious bit. Way too overlong though.

Wild Men - This is great. A black comedy about a husband and father who runs away from his life to live in the wild, and gets caught up with a drug smuggler, it's got a hint of the Coen Brothers in there along with a little Martin McDonagh. There's a recurring joke about a police dog that makes me smile everytime I think about it.

Matriarch - The story is nothing new but it's done well and the cast are all good to great. A much better mother/daughter horror than Umma from earlier this year.

Ticket To Paradise - you see George Clooney and Julia Roberts in a rom-com and you know exactly what to expect. I have quite a high tolerance for these kind of things so I thought it was okay. Quite staggering how unlikable the two leads are, mind.

Kurt Vonnegut: Unstuck In Time - I loved this. I may be a little biased as it's a subject I inherently find interesting anyway, but I thought it did a brilliant job at outlining Vonneguts life and what shaped his writing, while also being a touching look at friendship, relationships and aging. Much recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Watcher (cinema)

Superb thriller that surprisingly nails its ending. Maika Monroe is doing the 'woman in peril' role better than anyone around right now. Bucharest looks lovely, too!

The Wonder (cinema - on Netflix from the 16th)

It would be great if Netflix invested in more of this sort of thing. A well acted and depressing drama with an excellent cast. The start and end are stupid bits of showing off but everything else is really good. Florence Pugh and Niamh Algar knock it out of the park as usual.

Ambulance

There's an unusually funny review of this on Letterboxd that simply reads "Written by cocaine, Directed by Michael Bay" but you could say that about all his films. As enjoyable and lunatic as Bay's non-Transformers films almost always are.

Benedetta

Paul Verhoeven producing work of this quality in his mid-80s is nuts. As horny and violent as usual, it doesn't do much that will surprise anyone but it's just far more of a blast than this sort of thing has ever usually been.

Bergman Island

Vicky Krieps and Mia Wasikowska wander around Ingmar Bergman's home island. And that's about it. I don't need much more than that, personally.

The Guest

Took me 8 years to rewatch this, which is clearly a schoolboy error on my part. See above for my Maika Monroe comment. How can you watch this and not think Dan Stevens should be the next Bond.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Wonder (cinema - on Netflix from the 16th)

It would be great if Netflix invested in more of this sort of thing. A well acted and depressing drama with an excellent cast. The start and end are stupid bits of showing off but everything else is really good. Florence Pugh and Niamh Algar knock it out of the park as usual.

Start and end are pointless, and slightly take away from what is a really good film. Unless I'm thick (probably am) it adds nothing to the film.

Enola Holmes 2 dropped on Netflix last night, and is great.  It's developing into a great franchise actually, Millie Bobby Brown is such a likeable actress, her future looks very bright.