WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

August's motivation-to-stay-sober purchase is Two Point Hospital: Jumbo Edition. I cannot wait to see out the summer involving myself in gross medical negligence. 

• Paid Members

Because I spotted it on sale and didn't realise how financially buggered I was going to be I picked up the Borderlands Legendary Collection on XBox earlier this week. It almost made me seasick when I started it. Those 60fps HD graphics in the first one are so smooth compared to how the 360 version looks, and even compared to the same one on Switch, running at a pretty consistent 30. I'm amazed by how well it runs on my Switch, but it's a real treat on my telly. Definitely turning into a comfort game. I've played through the Arid Badlands so many times on various playthroughs. I've managed to finish the whole thing on Switch with Brick. I'm playing through the GOTY version as Lilith, and the original version as Mordecai. I tried as Roland, but it's felt like the most difficult playthrough. At some point I'll actually make it to playing Borderlands 2. Keep seeing that the third one is about £6-8 on Amazon, but I'm quite a way from playing that, I think. 

31 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

August's motivation-to-stay-sober purchase is Two Point Hospital: Jumbo Edition. I cannot wait to see out the summer involving myself in gross medical negligence. 

Two Point Campus arrives on game pass soon. I only hope Sir Nigel Bicklesworth is featured in it. 

34 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

When she can actually get the PS4 back from the kids, this is my exes favourite game, so cheers for the heads up, I think I'll buy this for her.

• Paid Members

Finished up the RDR2 story again. Despite focusing on more on the side stuff and challenges the whole thing felt much shorter this time around. Still have plenty to do post epilogue though. 

My misses flew off a cliff with my fully bonded Arabian so for punishment she now has to lead the new horse around for 40 mins to fully bond with it. 

Omori on Switch. Amazingly there’s only one critic review on Metacritic for this game. That’s just shocking to me, it’s an incredible port of an absolutely stunning game, that managed to completely subvert your expectations while meeting them at the exact same time. 

If you’ve not played it, it’s a JRPG-style game that takes more than a little inspiration from Earthbound/the Mother series. Yet at the same time, it’s very, very different. In some ways, it’s a horror game. Think Doki Doki Literature club, in the sense that there’s something dark hidden between the light exterior. It’s packed with emotional gut punches in its deep, powerful story that I won’t tell you too much about as it’s best to go into this one blind. But fucking hell, just buy it. It’ll take some beating to not be my game of the year by the time 2022 comes to a close.

Olli Olli World is bloody lovely. If you've not played the earlier Olli Olli games, they're skateboard games reinvented as twitch platformers. This one has a very latter day Cartoon Network aesthetic as well, which keeps the whole thing very chill despite the fact you need mental reflexes to be good at the thing.

Also spent the weekend revisiting Split Second: Velocity. It's still, to me anyway, the standout game from a period of time where Arcade Racers were having a bit of a renaissance. The speed, handling, tension and track design are all absolutely top notch. It's a bloody shame that it, and the equally brilliant Blur were basically sent out to die, being released at the same time as Red Dead Redemption.

On 7/24/2022 at 9:00 PM, RedRooster said:

Omori on Switch. Amazingly there’s only one critic review on Metacritic for this game. That’s just shocking to me, it’s an incredible port of an absolutely stunning game, that managed to completely subvert your expectations while meeting them at the exact same time. 

OK, since writing this, I’ve completed Omori. I don’t think I’ve ever played a game that has moved me as deeply as this did. I’m not sure I ever will. If you buy the game after reading this, initially you’re going to wonder what the hell I’m going on about. It seems so light-hearted. But wow, as things unfold it gets intense, disturbing, shocking and incredibly powerful. This game deals with distressing subject matters, so I’ll give you that warning. However, I’ll also say this: it’s one of the best games I’ve ever played. I’ll be thinking about its ending sequence for a long, long time. I’m honestly blown away. 

The Free PS Plus lineup for August has been announced

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1&2, Yakuza Like A Dragon and Little Nightmares. 

I already own Like A Dragon and it’s tons of fun even though the gameplay has moved to being a turn based RPG, I was also going to buy Little Nightmares last week so glad I didn’t.

I'm playing the first Xenoblade at the moment. I find the world in it quite nice to wander around but the battle system's just gone completely over my head. I basically have no idea what the fuck is going on, but it's easy enough so far (4-5 hours in) that I'm able to button mash it and go for whatever tactic the game seems to flash at me, without any real understanding of how it relates to what the other characters are doing. 

Not sure if that's going to be viable enough to keep on going. But I suppose I could always chuck it onto whatever its casual mode equivalent is and breeze through the narrative. I don't particularly want to understand it either. 

Real time combat I like. Turn based combat I like. Weird in between hybrids - like JRPGs have been doing since about Final Fantasy XII - leave me feeling like I'm just pressing buttons without much thought. 

• Paid Members

I had the same feeling with Xenoblade. I normally like these hybrid systems, and have even been able to find the joy in the Tales Of.. system now I'm playing Arise but Xenoblade left me cold and confused at basically every turn. A shame, because I liked the world and it seemed to be doing some fun stuff, but every major fight became a roadblock and I know I'm not even a third of the way through.