WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

The new Turtles game is a banger. The new model Beat Em Ups are using that encourages drop in/out co-op, fast-paced combos and replayability is a total winner. This and Streets of Rage 4 are the best ones to come out in years. Tee Lopez did a great job on the soundtrack too.

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members

I hear good things about Final Vendetta as well, while we're waxing lyrical about modern beat em ups. 

8 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I hear good things about Final Vendetta as well, while we're waxing lyrical about modern beat em ups. 

It's good but the complete opposite by being a little too authentic to arcade games but with a caveat, it acts like a quarter muncher but there's no continues... Bit odd.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Some of the reviews I've seen do seem to indicate there's a lot of learning to be done. 

Surprise surprise I've been playing Capcom Fighting Collection tonight. I've won a few games of Hyper SF2 and some of the Darkstalkers games online, but I've also lost plenty. Red Earth/Warzard is a fascinating idea, but nobody seems to want to play it online at the moment. I managed to get a couple of wins at Pocket Fighter, but have no idea what I'm doing at Puzzle Fighter. Cyberbots looks fascinating as well. I've managed to win the odd round at the others, but not a full match yet. There's plenty of artwork in the museum. It's built more around the Beat Em Up Bundle than the Street Fighter Anniversary collection. A timeline like that one would have been fun. 

Sometimes I look at my wishlists on various digital stores and wonder what kind of money laundering scheme certain indy devs are running, as they can't be selling many copies at full price and yet never seem to be in any sales (or only chip a tiny percentage off if they are).

An example on the Switch eShop is a game called "Good Job!", which I've had an eye on for two years but I can't imagine many are paying £17.99 for it, the same price as the far more renowned Untitled Goose Game.

Maybe I'm wrong and most people aren't as tight, but from where I'm sitting, wallet in hand still waiting for the right deal, something just doesn't add up. Send the plods round to these studios and see what they're hiding.

• Paid Members

Nintendo first party titles are notorious for not getting particularly big discounts on their consoles. 

Discounts and sales vary from platform to platform as well. Borderlands 3 is currently reduced to £12 on PS4, but £20 on XBox One. There are whole threads on the Train Sim World forums which are XBox players lamenting how infrequent sales are for them, while everything seems to be almost permanently discounted on Steam and PS4. 

• Paid Members

That rush hour pack contains 6 routes. If you've got a PS5 then go for it, as it doesn't run all that well anymore on PS4, and going forward not every feature is going to be available on last gen. 

I'd also keep an eye out for any collectors editions of TSW2020, as it'd allow you to import the routes into TSW2 via the preserved collection. You'll need a LOT of hard drive space, as there's a lot of extra content, and the additional routes are about the size of a game. 

• Paid Members

I've never played the Metroid games before so I've been working my way through most of the series (skipping the ones that are a pain to get going or are straight up bad like Other M) but there's a mod called Primehack that'll let you play the Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Dolphin emulator with mouse & keyboard or a controller replaced all the awful motion control stuff and it's an absolute blast!

I finished the first one, am currently about halfway through Metroid Prime 2 and I think this might just be a straight up more fun way to play it than digging out your Wii and dealing with its motion controls.

On 6/25/2022 at 4:14 PM, Uncle Zeb said:

An example on the Switch eShop is a game called "Good Job!", which I've had an eye on for two years but I can't imagine many are paying £17.99 for it, the same price as the far more renowned Untitled Goose Game.

I think, since it's a Nintendo-published game, it's one that rarely gets discounted. I was happy to pay full price for it because I'm a sucker for all things Nintendo, but I think you're probably right in what you're saying. You don't exactly hear people talking about it. It's a lot of fun in a similar way to a game like Overcooked, but by the same token it's not one of my go-to multiplayer games and I can't pretend I've played it much at all, as fun as it is. 

I had no idea Nintendo published it, so that certainly explains that one. Nintendo's idea of a sale is keeping the same monetary price but eschewing the customary sacrifice of your firstborn child.

Have ordered Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition for the Switch to further my "Missed out on a lifetime of Nintendo" roadshow. Really looking forward to getting stuck into it, as the JRPG conventions with MMO lite elements seems like my bag. I know sod all about it, and will be keeping it that way until it comes. 

The Switch rules and I'm a donkey's arse for doubting it previously. I'm sure a lot of Nintendo's conservative practices must boil the piss of longtime fans, but for someone who was getting increasingly Old Man Yells At Cloud with the weird aggro graphical fidelity rat race triple A gaming has in large part become, it's a little bit of a revelation. It's just about cutting edge enough to be modern but in almost every other way basically just makes me feel like I'm back in the PS2 days. 

None of this is news, I know. Still pretty cool, though. Everything's back to 30 FPS with draw distance atmosphere tricks and a few jaggy edges and it's brilliant.