WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

It's the new PS Plus day. Not sure if I'll start with some of the classic stuff or go for some of the PS5 games I never picked up - Demon's Souls, Returnal, Guardians.. obviously I say all this like I've actually got time to play stuff but it's a nice thought. Might just dip into NBA 2K22 quickly instead.

There's enough for me to start with at the moment. It'll be interesting to see what they deliver on an ongoing basis though. It doesn't seem like they'll try to directly compete with Game Pass too heavily so they might always be fighting a losing battle there.

Quite like that there are Game Trials now too even if they are timed. Can finally see if the new WWE game is still pants or not.

I quite liked what I played of the demo and have intended to go back to it. The setting of it and style of play reminded me of Life is Strange 2.

3 hours ago, Version1.0 said:

Please play Road 96. It's amazing. 

See story based games such as anything by TellTale and you get the picture.

I'll second this. I picked it up on the recent Switch sale, and it really is rather good. I'd been put off for the longest time when I heard the dreaded phrase "procedural generation" when the creators spoke about it. But it's one of the stronger examples of that. 

I've been playing Sonic Origins, and it's one of the best compilations I've ever played...but fuck me, the new music for Sonic 3 is bad. I completely understand why they had to replace it, but I don't know why they bothered to remaster the music from the prototype. I'm baffled at how they've managed to make those songs worse. 

Still, I'd recommend the game highly, although it might be one to pick up on PC if you can, and wait for modders to reinsert the original music. 

• Paid Members

Is it "new" new music in Sonic 3, or is it the post Jackson music they added into the 90s PC release? I think some Sonic 3 levels got a different soundtrack when the game was paired up with Sonic & Knuckles as well? 

Picked up the Borderlands Ultimate Collection on Switch while it's £16 on sale. I've been playing as Brick, found a half decent incendiary shotgun but my playstyle mostly consists of waiting until my special is ready and running around punching everybody to death. It didn't quite understand what I was doing when I played the Skagzilla mission so kept placing him on top of me like "why isn't the player character running to get from underneath this jump attack?" 

I dip into it on XBox One now and again. I'm clearing each area as each character and then going back through as a different one for some reason. My playthroughs all make it look as if I've been grinding away for 2 years as well, like some kind of reverse long play. 

Sometime in future I'll make it to Borderlands 2, which I hear is the best in the series. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

17 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Is it "new" new music in Sonic 3, or is it the post Jackson music they added into the 90s PC release? I think some Sonic 3 levels got a different soundtrack when the game was paired up with Sonic & Knuckles as well? 

I've not played the PC release, so I can't say for sure - but it's remastered versions of what originally appeared in the prototype, and I think it's new to Origins, with the prototype originals appearing in the PC version. 

Here's a comparison of Carnival Night, for example, from the Sonic 3 Beta: 

It's considerably weaker in my opinion, and the same goes for the new versions of Ice Cap and Launch Base. I don't mind the prototype music at all, but the new versions aren't brilliant. 

The game itself is ace, though. 

21 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Sometime in future I'll make it to Borderlands 2, which I hear is the best in the series. 

If it counts (given that it's a Telltale Game) I'd say the best Borderlands game is Tales from the Borderlands. It has such a brilliant story, it's such a shame that more people haven't played it. 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Tales from the Borderlands rules! Maybe quietly the best Telltale game. I think a lot of people might overlook it thinking they need to know about the other games in the franchise, they don't, I've no interest in the main games and still love it.

Loader Bot stole my heart.

This is my lasting memory of Tales from the Borderlands:

I'm guessing Sega did nothing about the backlash to all that preorder malarkey with Sonic Origins? Just plugged their ears and took the cash, thanks very much?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I'm guessing Sega did nothing about the backlash to all that preorder malarkey with Sonic Origins? Just plugged their ears and took the cash, thanks very much?

If I remember the backlash was mostly born out of the way the chart explaining what you get in the different editions were laid out. They could have done two lists. It was a touch egregious hiding backgrounds, music, and menu icon animations behind an apparent paywall, though. 

47 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

If I remember the backlash was mostly born out of the way the chart explaining what you get in the different editions were laid out. They could have done two lists. It was a touch egregious hiding backgrounds, music, and menu icon animations behind an apparent paywall, though. 

Yes, the charts were an easy focal point for mockery but as you say, the data they presented was genuinely egregious. I don't think anyone was really kicking off about the formatting, but the actual contents.

Edited by Uncle Zeb