WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Awards Moderator
19 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I'll probably get it but in a post-Streets of Rage 4 world the blatant stand-ins for Axl, Blaze and Adam feel less like a cheeky homage and more like eating someone else's lunch. Though I suppose SoR did its share of that, too.

Vendetta and Streets of Rage came out in the same year. They were both trying to capture Final Fight vibes.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

This is out tomorrow, looks more like my jam than the new TMNT game.

Interesting that two modern games based off of two Konami games come out so close together. I'll have to keep an eye on the sales for them. 

I’m all in on this, they’ve already started making the third and final part too.

With the trailer saying it’s coming next winter everyone believes it’ll be a 2024 release but Kitase(Producer on FF7R) is claiming it’ll be out in the next 6 months. 

Edited by TildeGuy~!

10 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

Anyone know if the PC port of the first part of that FFVII remake is alright now? I know at the start people shat on it.

It’s available for Steam starting today.  I know the Epic Games version wasn’t very well liked.

Haven’t seen reviews for the Steam version yet.

Sounds like an effective business plan to a point.

1) Take upfront payment to release game exclusively on less popular storefront.

2) Use store's customers as unpaid testers; work to fix bugs.

3) Herald release of unbroken version on more popular storefront; passively allow the first to take blame for initial problems.

4) First storefront remains unpopular, must continue offering upfront payment for exclusivity deals.

5) Go to 1.

Got an OLED Switch as part of my annual post-holiday blues "Take it easy for awhile and nerd out" treatment. 

It feels fantastic. The screen's a good deal crisper but the real selling point for me seems to be a more matte grip to the whole thing and the joy cons not wiggling quite as much while slotted in. I've held Mrs. FOOK's on occasion in the past and they jiggle far too much which made the unit feel a bit like a toy. I've gone 31 years without getting into bed with Nintendo other than a brief summer with a Gamecube because I wanted - like everyone else - to play Resi 4 at the time. 

Sorted myself out with the N64 virtual console straight away. Mario 64 has aged awfully. Without nostalgia it just seems like a really dodgy Net Yaroze sandbox you'd get on a PlayStation demo disc. On the other hand other than the graphics and steep curve of learning the controls, the Ocarina of Time is clearly still bloody brilliant, and choc full of little "Oh, neat!" gameplay moments that make even the tinniest sections seem vast. 

Going to dig into some of @RedRoosterand @FelatioLipsrecommendations from the sales thread next. 

Oh and I got Skyrim on it. Goes without saying. Been spending some quality time roleplaying as Punchcat on the loo.

Edited by Gay as FOOK

Started up Nioh yesterday, I’m the worst at Dark Souls like games so I thought I’d try this one out first before diving back into Bloodborne(I died on the tutorial during my first time playing and just uninstalled straight away thinking I had no chance) I got both with PS Plus a while back.

I have started better then expected but I hate the fact all enemies seem to respawn when you save.

On 6/17/2022 at 11:38 AM, scratchdj said:

The new TMNT games is mega, it absolutely nails its attempt to bring the original coin ops up-to-date whilst feeling very much like they used to all those years ago.

I've only played the first 2 levels so far, but cn't wait to get further into it. Big thumbs up from me, and I suspect it will be all kinds of fun multiplayer.

GamePass really is ace, isn't it?

Played through it with two of my oldest friends and then had a pizza on Saturday afternoon. A lovely, lovely time. 

On 6/17/2022 at 10:16 AM, Gay as FOOK said:

Got an OLED Switch as part of my annual post-holiday blues "Take it easy for awhile and nerd out" treatment. 

It feels fantastic. The screen's a good deal crisper but the real selling point for me seems to be a more matte grip to the whole thing and the joy cons not wiggling quite as much while slotted in. I've held Mrs. FOOK's on occasion in the past and they jiggle far too much which made the unit feel a bit like a toy. I've gone 31 years without getting into bed with Nintendo other than a brief summer with a Gamecube because I wanted - like everyone else - to play Resi 4 at the time.

I got an OLED model on Friday. I was finally able to justify the upgrade as I won a load of Argos vouchers in a raffle in work.

I have HEROICALLY gifted my 2017 model to my nephew and kept the OLED model for myself which I think everyone will agree was the correct thing to do.

It really is a much, much nicer screen and the build quality in general seems better.

I immediately downloaded the Castlevania and Castlevania Advance collections as the best way to show off new tech is to run decades old games that you have already played multiple times. 

I'm currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn, which has been sitting on my PS4 since Sony gave it out as a lockdown freebie.

The parts I like remind me of Breath of the Wild, the parts I don't remind me of Skyrim. I've found my groove with it but I'm not sure if I'll still be playing once all the machines are the kind of overpowered monsters being introduced now.

• Paid Members

Done with The Quarry. The base story was okay and I liked most of the cast, but that's about it. The QTEs were shit (a big step back even from the lower budget Dark Pictures games), insultingly easy, the one character I was desperate to kill off (and I had to wait aaages for it) I had to deliberately fail an awful QTE that I'm pretty sure would be impossible to fail accidentally. There were a couple of other okay incidental deaths but it's a horror movie, I want a threat and some unpredictability. I didn't feel much control over the characters either, I was trying to make one a cool heel and I kept choosing for him to refuse to give up his gun, but the second the game took back control of him he handed his gun and his testicles over anyway. Needless to say, he's the one I was desperate to kill off!

I'm tired of these pretenders, I've got Until Dawn downloading again now!

The new Turtles game is a complete mess in multiplayer if you're playing with the wrong randoms, luckily I haven't had many of these types but some just keep spamming taunt and then special moves that fill up the screen. It's also waaaay too easy and never feels like an actual arcade game, it's fun but needs to be tweaked and balanced quite a bit.