WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

15 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I feel for the bloody developers here, they've been pushed to start from scratch with a new engine and likely gone through countless hours of crunch just to be made to release this as it is.

They'll get the death threats too, not the big wigs in publishing.

If that's the best they can come up with as developers then they should be sacked. It's not like someone asked them to make the game last week or anything.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, DavidB6937 said:

If that's the best they can come up with as developers then they should be sacked. It's not like someone asked them to make the game last week or anything.

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not, when did development start? 

Haven't they been working on this in some form for two years, and still with a huge amount of assets brought over from years old titles and still with a practically featureless initial launch window? 

Konami seem to almost deliberately be killing all of their big franchises but there's probably a lot more to this than Publishers = Bad. 

PES was languishing for years and years with such difficult to develop facets as the design of the menus. It was kept going by great gameplay and they've fucked that now. 

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not, when did development start? 

PES was reskinned last year so you could probably guess that it’s at least two years in the making which is not much time at all to start again from the ground up so to give the game dev’s pelters is a little unfair. Nobody works 90 hour weeks to release a laughable turd, there’ll be multiple reasons why it’s ended up like this and most of them will be to do with money and time. There’s a reason FIFA and PES have barely changed over the last ten years.

Sony acquired Bluepoint this week so if we ever get the rumoured MGS remake at least we won’t have to worry about Konami fucking it up.

13 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Nobody works 90 hour weeks to release a laughable turd, there’ll be multiple reasons why it’s ended up like this and most of them will be to do with money and time.

Yup. It’s reminding me of when the awful Cats film came out and pricks like Corden who were in it taking the piss out of how shit it looked. They weren’t the ones working all hours to meet an impossible deadline with not enough budget. 

Is anyone bothering with EGX this year? I'm surprised it's going ahead when none of the big companies seem to be there and there's a lack of any up-coming AAA titles.

I could easily have a bit of fun there but it should in no way cost the same as it usually does, plus leaving Brum is sad.

17 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania (Xbox)

One of those games that possibly would have been better with a port rather than a Unity rebuild as some of the physics and camera angles are really off compared to the Gamecube originals to the point that it's genuinely off-putting if you're a hardcore monkeyballer.  Also, considering it's a rebuild it really doesn't look that great.  Get fog on the roulette wheel in Monkey Target and there are some distinct Turok N64 vibes and Monkey Bowling looks genuinely awful.

It's still fun, but it feels like a polished mobile game retailing for £35.  I'd wait for it to hit a sale or GamePass unless you're hopelessly addicted to Monkey Ball.

I haven't really played it since the Gamecube days but I do remember losing many an hour to it. I really enjoyed it at the time. I'm sure enough time has passed that I probably wouldn't notice the differences. To be honest I rarely get the chance to play games straight away anyway so I'll probably get it for Christmas or something.

Ys VIII Lacrimosa of DANA. 

Hitting my seemingly never ending back catalog of games and stupid sounding name aside Ys VIII is a fun little action JRPG so far. 

Nothing mind blowing but pretty solid all rounder. Combat though not particularly deep is fast paced and easy to pick up, characters so far are the usual archetypes but varied enough to not be irritating and the story is just about interesting enough to keep me invested.

I believe it's one of these cross platform PS4/Vita games so graphically it's nothing special but decent enough. 

Worth a punt if it's on sale imo and AJRS's like Star Ocean for example are your thing.

Solid high 7/10 so far. Might go up or down depending on how it plays out. 

Reminds me that I also have Ys Origin sitting in my library.