I tell you what was shit. Live 8.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Gervais doing his dance. Peter Kay doing that song of his. Robbie Williams trying to recreate Freddie's "We Will Rock You" bit. The fact they didnt invite Phil Collins. Geldof decided to have a go himself and playing live. Elton John thinking he was making some kind of statement by having smack head Pete Doherty murder a T.Rex song. You think things are bad in the world now, its nothing on that collection of sheer cunts. No self awareness throughout the whole thing.

This is apropos of nothing. Just wanted to get it off my chest, because it popped up on youtube there and it angered me. Thanks.

Spot on. That Hey Jude finale is one of the worst things ever conceived. A singularity of mid noughties shitness, slap bang in the middle of the decade. Kelly Jones, Dido, Keane, Snow Patrol and the prick from Razorlight all shoulder to shoulder. Pink Floyd members scattered about the stage awkwardly in the worst televised kayfabe of water under the bridge until Bret and Shawn's hug on Raw. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Awards Moderator

I enjoyed the Pink Floyd set, some of the Toronto line-up (which introduced me to the great Bruce Cockburn) and the fact that they crammed Velvet Revolver in the middle of all the pop acts for some reason. I don't remember much else though, so I'll choose to believe these were the only good bits (and even then I'm not sure VR were on good form).

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Madonna reminding everybody that she has a new album on the way and not mentioning the actual purpose of the event. 

Got a hammered in a pub with a few mates with this as a vague distraction in the background. Was more interesting listening to this old guy telling tales of rallying in the Northwest and Wales during 1970s and 1980s.  Basically how everyone didn't die during that time in rallys is beyond me. 

Aside from that remember naff all about it. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Madonna reminding everybody that she has a new album on the way and not mentioning the actual purpose of the event. 

She swore as well. On a Saturday afternoon! It was less Bill Grundy and more my auntie on New Years. Silly old moo.

Was so bad I forgot it actually existed. I have very brief memory of flicking onto BBC and seeing Gervais smugly hamming it up and quickly turning off again. Live 8 is such a crap name too.

Edited by DCW

The "Live X" concerts were generally shite. This had sorted of melded into Live Earth as well for me, I was about to comment on the random appearance of Spinal Tap before realising that was the other one just before James Blunt and Madonna turning up with Gogol Bordello for some raisin.

• Paid Members

I'd just moved into a house with my (at the time) Mrs, and were in the habit of having huge, fuck off all day piss up's there during the summer. We heard about this Live 8 thing, though it was going to be our generation's Live Aid, so went out and spent a fortune on an outdoor projector and sound system and invited every fucker we knew. Christ, it was heartbreaking how shit it turned out to be. Everyone(there was 36 of us crammed into the garden if I have counted right) was at our's had started on the ale an hour or so earlier to get in the mood and were buzzing by the time it started.

Then, it took all of 10 minutes to realise how shit it was going to be. One by one, everyone gradually drifted off into the house or a different part of the garden and from memory the only time anyone looked back at the screen was when Robbie Williams did his bit(and then it was only the women). Absolute shite...

2 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Elton John thinking he was making some kind of statement by having smack head Pete Doherty murder a T.Rex song

I actually think that was the only good bit of it. It was the only bit that didn't seem in any way polished. It was a bit shit but that's why I liked it

Talking of Robbie Williams (sort of) and charity I heard the most Robbie Williams thing ever on the radio the other day. Apparently he’s been inspired to anonymously donate loads of money to charity after learning of George Michaels’ anonymous donations that came out posthumously. Still not as bad as Gervais the try hard cunt.

Not sure if I'm mixing up Live 8 or the Diana memorial thing where the funniest thing about Gervais' bit was whoever was on after him was running late and he couldn't improvise so he just died on his arse infront of 70,000 people.