I tell you what was shit. Live 8.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

She swore as well. On a Saturday afternoon! It was less Bill Grundy and more my auntie on New Years. Silly old moo.

Didn't Chris Rock walk out and after his opening line didn't get a laugh say "come on, liven up motherfuckers" as the BBC cut quickly to the studio, or was that something else?

Think that was also Live Earth. According to Wikipedia...

The BBC, which televised the concert in the United Kingdom, received a total of 413 complaints because coverage of Metallica's live set was cut short, and approximately 130 complaints concerning swearing as the BBC had shown the concert before the watershed time of 9pm, this includes Chris rockjokingly calling the crowd "motherfuckers".The BBC later apologised for cutting away from footage of Metallica, and both during and after the concert for the bad language. On 12 April 2008, an Ofcom broadcast was shown on BBC1, apologising again for the 'offensive language.'

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

No one in a crowd of 1 billion people:

Gervais: "Eh, what's that? Do the dance?"

I was so fuming at how staged it was. 

Christ, I don't think I've ever seen this before. Or maybe I did and erased it from my memory, like I seemed to do with Live 8 entirely. I forgot it even happened.

Anyway here is the cringey Gervais bit I just found 

4 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Christ, I don't think I've ever seen this before. Or maybe I did and erased it from my memory, like I seemed to do with Live 8 entirely. I forgot it even happened.

To be fair he got a pretty good reaction from the crowd. Not that it makes it any less terrible

7 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

If you're going to do the dance, fine. But don't be all fake about it. "No, I'm NOT going to do the dance". You are, clearly.

Reminds me of the time I saw legendary freestyle rapper Supernatural live. He is without a doubt a superb freestyler, but when he asked the crowd to shout out words and he would rap about them, gave it the old "What's that? Weed? You got it" , as it's an easy topic, when a guy next to me was screaming at the top of his voice "Benny Hill" and was literally the only person that could be heard.

I lost my point a bit but that annoyed me massively too.

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Thats how you work a crowd, BritWres workers take note.

I remember bits and pieces. 

Them cutting away from Metallica and someone, possibly Davod Tennant, saying "Enter the Sandman" was the only Metallica song he knew (probably reflecting everybody but those who complained). 

There being a discussion about looking in your toilet bowl because if it was piss you shouldn't flush the toilet and if it was shit you should. You'd have to be pretty pissed to not be sure which one you'd done.

Robbie William's openly admitting that he was disappointed no one knew the words to one his songs.

• Awards Moderator

I met McCartney’s drummer on the Tube once. I’d seen them live at Hyde Park earlier that year but I also remember him being fantastic at Live 8. He was very nice in person - he was on his way to a meeting at one of the megaposh London hotels to plan their South American tour. This is nothing to do with Live 8.

• Paid Members

Me & my mate Joe went to watch the Lions test in the pub, so I was proper pissed by about 11am.Then we went to another pub. Then we went back to Joe's flat and watched this shite from beginning to end with his missus and a couple of her mates.

Pretty sure the only acts I didn't shit all over were Floyd, Velvet Revolver and Metallica, but the BBC did that bit for me.

You knew what sort of day it was gonna be pretty early when Chris Martin tried to shoehorn the chorus of Rockin' All Over the World into whatever bland number Coldplay were doing despite the fact it didn't scan in any way, shape or form.