Best movie featuring wrestlers

Sheffbag

• Paid Members

I think we shouldn't ignore that horror masterpiece that is Pro Wrestlers vs Zombies.

SEE! Kurt Angle for about 2 minutes of screen-time! ENJOY! Sad old Roddy Piper mostly being regretful. ENJOY! Shane Douglas getting most of the plot, presumably having blackmailed the film-maker.

There are a handful of decent jokes, and I've seen far worse zero-budget horror, to be fair. But it's also not in any real way 'good'. It's also clearly been made by the Shane Douglas fan that's out there for some reason.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Raiders of the Lost Ark had Pat Roach in it, that’s my pick.

Bomber Pat was in the first 3 films in 4 roles, and was killed by ford 3 times across the first 2. 

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Piper definitely had something as an actor, he was decent. Definitely elevated They Live, which was great as it is.

I'd second that without doubt. I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy they live before the first watch, but it's legitimately one of my favourite films now. 

• Paid Members
On 6/5/2020 at 9:04 PM, John Matrix said:

image.thumb.jpeg.c5edb743381a49a88773b27e320e5a0d.jpeg

Laters.

I had no idea this existed. Promptly watched it yesterday. It's on Amazon Prime if anyone fancies it. It's pretty good. Really well shot considering this type of DTV's budget. Why it isn't called Death Ring though I have no idea.

WrestleMassacre is one of the worst films I've ever seen. It stars the Cuban Assassin (not the famous one) as a groundskeeper who decides to take up wrestling in order to impress a woman he's obsessed with (even though she's already with someone else). There are appearances from Nikolai Volkoff, The Sandman and Tony Atlas, Jimmy Valiant appears as the owner of the wrestling school, and Rene Dupree plays an ex-soldier who's supposed to save the day but really serves next t o no purpose whatsoever. 

The script is absolutely full of plot holes, characters behave in completely implausible ways (one lad seems to be pissing himself laughing while he's being threatened by the Sandman and his heavies), there are entire scenes that might as well not exist, the editing is a nightmare, the acting is dreadful across the board, the audio is all over the place (example: a woman turns the shower off but you can still hear the water running in the next few shots) and the continuity is shot to pieces (the final scene involves a fight in broad daylight which suddenly turns into the middle of the night for no reason other than sheer incompetence). It's an hour and 40 minutes long, and it's all talk apart from 5 minutes in the middle and a 10-minute finale where we finally get some almost-decent fight scenes and passable special effects. 

Shockingly shit from beginning to end. The fact that the trailer suggests it's been ready to go since 2018 but the film isn't even out yet speaks volumes. It's arriving on VOD on June 16th if anyone fancies punishing themselves (or you can watch it right now "by other means" if you don't mind having "FOR SCREENING ONLY" plastered over the bottom half of the screen). 

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

I watched the new Kevin James film Becky last night and fucking Kurrgan has a pretty big part in it of all people

He's been in a lot of high profile films in the last 10 years or so. He's done alright for himself, good on him.

• Paid Members

Magic Mike has Big Sexy in it. I remember thinking that was pretty good when it came out.

Mad Max - Fury Road has Nathan Jones in it, and we all know how good that is as well.

Ready to Rumble has David Arquette in it who is still wrestling to this day, so that also counts.

• Paid Members

I just realised the answer is Night and the City, the 1950 version. Features a brilliant fight scene between Stanislaus Zbyszko and Mike Mazurki. One of the best film noirs of all time too.