Florida deems professional wrestling ‘essential’

SuperstarNeilC

• Paid Members

As has been mentioned here, I wonder how many of these talents will be taken back in (assuming they're still available) when things start getting a bit more back to normal. Would Gallows & Anderson go to AEW or wait to rejoin the Bullet Club? I'd guess Mickie will end up in the NWA, or maybe try to make another go of her music career. A few of those guys could fit in well there, but there'd be budget restrictions. Rusev could probably go anywhere and do well. Shame to hear about Slater. He's got kids! It's not the best time to do it, but it's the time they usually do things like this. Doesn't make it less shitty though. 

Absolute shame that this has been done right at this moment. I understand WWE wants to secure their share price and all but honestly the bottom line is it wouldn't have killed them to keep everyone on board for a couple more months. That said with the non-compete clauses aren't they actually paid their downside for the 90 days? I know even today some downsides can be pretty shitty but without travel etc hopefully most will be ok until things start going again especially if they have been wise and saved some up.

If circumstances were different than now I would be delighted by most of the releases to give those released a chance to do something else, freshen up the card and allow more talent to move up as I find this often leads to an improved product overtime. 

Additionally I really feel some other companies are going to benefit from this big time. Not just because talent with WWE exposure can be used to get more people through the door, tuning in or selling half time Polaroids but plenty of companies from AEW, IMPACT, NWA and ROH to other smaller ones have a chance to bring in guys who could help teach their younger stars how to work better for a TV focused product and then there are those producers and referees that i'm sure would be of tremendous benefit too. 

7 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

Fair play on shouting down the div kid, but I think you’re over-egging it a bit. These performers who were sacked were making as much money as a lot of CEOs do, and they may still be paid at that rate for the next three months.

It’s very sad from the perspective that they’ve been dreaming of being WWE superstars since they were kids, but let’s not forget that they’re rich and this isn’t going to put their lives at risk. They’re not really in the same boat as someone on the breadline losing their cleaning job and not being able to afford their next rent payment or to feed their kids. Erick Rowan and co aren’t going to be queuing up at the food bank the way that people laid off from normal, dead-end jobs (like the WWE office employees) might need to.

Absolutely agree, but it’s still an unnecessarily shitty thing to do. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, chokeout said:

I have nothing but respect for the pair of them. They manged to bag a full time job, and paid maternity leave for 2 kids while not actually having to work and got a $1million for it. They got a win over Vince. How many people can say that? 

Plus Mike got his rehab paid for him. If someone is willing to pay you big bucks to not work, why would you? He did a video yesterday evening talking about how he, Maria and their kids were happy and healthy.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

This sort of narrative is horseshit. Brock Lesnar was trending last night for similar reasons. The Saudis are paying them tens of millions annually to get people like Goldberg on their shows. The TV deals pay hundreds of millions for stars like Brock Lesnar. They're worth every penny and their price tag reflects that.

This is a slimey move with shitty timing but it's fuck all to do with other necessary business decisions or other stars.

It would be nice if WWE had offered everyone the chance to take pay cuts to save jobs or something as they've done with execs. But this is where the contractor status affects them again. They're not employees. They're expendable and contractually easy to drop. Unless they ever do anything about that, they'll always be subject to the environment. 

7 hours ago, DCW said:

Just post nothing at all instead. 

giphy.gif

I don't think he can. Everything he does online seems to reek of this base insecurity that he's the general at a time creative and TV is in the worst state it's ever been. If I was on that cut talent list, him laughing it off in character would have fucked me off less than this burning need to do a Joe Company promo from the gym. He's a dork. 

Seth is a gormless cunt. Probably thinks he’s well liked and some respected leader figure, when he’s the mate you can’t explain to strangers why you are mates with him, as he’s completely un self aware and just says shit that embarrasses you as he can’t be a grown up in adult situations