Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

50 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Well as someone that got through the first two jabs without any follow up symptoms, I think this booster is trying to make up for it. Damn happy that I've not had to go in the office today which would've been the original plan. That would've been a nightmare.

Yeah, kinda feeling shitty today after getting mine yesterday. Banging headache and just generally feeling...weird, is the best way I can put it.

• Paid Members

The booster definitely made me feel worst when I had it. I just felt really sluggish for a few days afterwards. 

Us Harlow boys are made different Jonnyboy. I had the Moderna yesterday and was undecided about whether to get a McD's or a KFC. Couldn't be bothered to get out the car so went for Maccy's. It was horrid, the chicken in the wrap was strange, couldn't bite through it. Wish I'd gone for the double zinger now.

• Paid Members

Spent an hour on-line last night trying to book a booster for January as just had Covid. After being booted out multiple times I finally got to book an appointment when it booted me again. So I will try tomorrow at silly o'clock to see if the servers are quiter.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Worst thing last night was how painful my arm was and keep rolling on it when I was trying to sleep. I'm sure that tiredness isn't helping on top of everything else.

I was fine after my two vaccinations but just over a week since my booster and my arm still feels like a ton weight. No marks or rash or anything but it's been uncomfortable so I do sympathise.

Another observation....is the booster essentially a third vaccine - the person administering the booster used a vial of Pfizer and into my arm it went. I thought the boosters were meant to be a lower dosage? Or have I imagined that? 

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

I was fine after my two vaccinations but just over a week since my booster and my arm still feels like a ton weight. No marks or rash or anything but it's been uncomfortable so I do sympathise.

Another observation....is the booster essentially a third vaccine - the person administering the booster used a vial of Pfizer and into my arm it went. I thought the boosters were meant to be a lower dosage? Or have I imagined that? 

I'd only be concerned if they put the whole vial in. My understanding, and this is based on people's experiences I know, it is a 3rd dose. It is revered to as a booster for reasons unclear, but I thought it was the same dose, just they aren't using AZ for the booster program.

• Paid Members

Booster is more of a top-up dose. I think the terminology is to avoid confusion with:

• The fact the first and second "dose" is considered the same vaccination, just with a gap in between.
  • The fact some immuno-compromised people need three doses in their original vaccination because they are less responsive.

With the booster, they are giving out 1/2 doses of Moderna because the trials show that's definitely enough for the "boost" so any more is unnecessary. At the moment if you get Pfizer for the booster, you get a full dose - it's likely but not definite a half-dose would be enough. The theory is they could switch to half-doses if supply was very limited and it was a choice between that or having a delays.

In very simple terms. the original vaccination is about teaching your body to recognize COVID cells and making it create antibodies to fight it off. With the booster, your body already knows what to do, so it's solely a case of tricking it into topping up its supply of antibodies. The goal is to increase the chances that if you get COVID for real, you'll have enough antibodies on hand to start fighting it off immediately, rather than have to wait for your body to figure out what's up and create them from scratch.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I'd only be concerned if they put the whole vial in. My understanding, and this is based on people's experiences I know, it is a 3rd dose. It is revered to as a booster for reasons unclear, but I thought it was the same dose, just they aren't using AZ for the booster program.

Thanks and thanks to @JNLister as well. I must be immune now because I got what appeared to be the whole vial which worried me a bit but it was Pfizer so all seems to be in order. 

Thanks both.

spacer.png

After much pissing about last night, brought my booster jab forward a week to Wednesday afternoon. Since I'm off to a gig this weekend figured it'd be a better idea to get boosted first if possible. Didn't do post-vaccine snacking before as it was done at a pop-up place at a hotel on the outskirts, but the place I'm going to this week has ample snacking facilities close by.

Edited by Tamura

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Was it the entire thing, or just what was left?  There's 6 doses in a full standard Pfizer vial...!

That is a good question, filled up the full syringe so I'm guessing whatever was in the vial. Either that or I'm super boosted! 

7 hours ago, JNLister said:

In very simple terms. the original vaccination is about teaching your body to recognize COVID cells and making it create antibodies to fight it off. With the booster, your body already knows what to do, so it's solely a case of tricking it into topping up its supply of antibodies. The goal is to increase the chances that if you get COVID for real, you'll have enough antibodies on hand to start fighting it off immediately, rather than have to wait for your body to figure out what's up and create them from scratch.

From this summary of the need for the vaccination, which is what I'd previously understood it to be, would there still be a neccessity for those who were unvaccinated but have had covid and recovered to have initial vaccination or solely a booster if it had been over a certain time period as their immune system learned to recognise and fight off the covid without initial vaccination?

A lot of other countries seem to be requiring proof of vaccination or prior infection and recovery however I've not seen any clear indication as to whether or not both are still required or if so, why?