Jushin Thunder Liger

HarmonicGenerator

Would he make my "mount rushmore".... No

Top 10 of all time... Probably not. 

But by whatever metric you use..... Jushin Liger is pro wrestling. 

The look, the entrance, the charisma, the matches, the legacy, just the perfect example of this incredibly stupid, ridiculous, amazing thing we all love.... 

• Paid Members

That would’ve been in the very early stages of the Liger gimmick. Probably 1989. I don’t think he completed the classic look that we all associate with him until about 1990 when he was having his series with Benoit but my timing could be a bit off on that. 

F47FD1E8-F860-4434-8F0B-67A2A91B0331.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

Loved his willingness to act like a soft arse all the time despite being idolized. Guy could have acted like Mil Mascaras but with reason to act like Mil Mascaras, but there he is in a legion hall going IN MYYYY AAAAAARSE with a train full of lads with thumbs up each others council gritters

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, BigJag said:

Why does Lyger not have his horns here?

As @wandshogun09 said, the Liger gimmick went through a few iterations - he was initially Jushin Liger, and didn't "upgrade" to the horns and more familiar look until becoming Jushin Thunder Liger, which is a distinction no one really makes any more, but was more significant back when the gimmick was more closely based on the anime that inspired it.

9 hours ago, Cannibal Man said:

Loved his willingness to act like a soft arse all the time despite being idolized. Guy could have acted like Mil Mascaras but with reason to act like Mil Mascaras, but there he is in a legion hall going IN MYYYY AAAAAARSE with a train full of lads with thumbs up each others council gritters

Something that perhaps gets overlooked about Liger in general is that he's just a weird mischievous goblin. I've seen him try and untie Tiger Mask's mask when he wasn't looking, draw moustaches on other people's 8x10s, and get involved with just about every comedy wrestling trope imaginable. He has a really goofy sense of humour, and doesn't take himself seriously at all.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

As @wandshogun09 said, the Liger gimmick went through a few iterations - he was initially Jushin Liger, and didn't "upgrade" to the horns and more familiar look until becoming Jushin Thunder Liger, which is a distinction no one really makes any more, but was more significant back when the gimmick was more closely based on the anime that inspired it.

I believe in the anime the character levels up and becomes Jushin "Thunder" Liger which is why the wrestler followed suit, but then the show was cancelled/ended shortly thereafter. I could be wrong, but I'm sure recall reading that at some stage.

• Paid Members

Yeah, that's vaguely what I think happened - in the series, I think he had different forms; Thunder Liger, Fire Liger, and so on. Thunder Liger is the closest to the wrestler's most famous look, and was seen as an "upgrade" for the wrestler as it was in the anime - but as he became more famous than the source material, the distinction between "Jushin Liger" and "Jushin Thunder Liger" became less relevant, and have since been used more or less interchangeably. 

On 1/4/2020 at 8:41 AM, HarmonicGenerator said:

And It won’t embed but I always, always loved it when The Wrestling Channel showed their little Liger video: https://youtu.be/skfrncg-0GQ

The Wrestling Channel!! Goodness, that’s a blast from the past. That video was my first exposure to Liger (in fact, that channel is where little me learned there was still wrestling outside of WWE) 

My first reaction, to be honest, was utter confusion. I didn’t understand why he wore a full body suit (the chafing must have been horrific) and initially I thought he looked a bit silly. 

At the same time though I was pretty intrigued by this new discovery, and I wanted to see more of him. And Curry Man, who the channel also ran vignettes for. Since YouTube wasn’t an option it took bloody ages before I actually got to see him wrestle.

Because of the way I was introduced to him he’s always felt like something of a mystical figure to me. It’s quite strange to know he won’t be wrestling anymore.

• Paid Members
On 1/5/2020 at 4:37 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Liger kicking Vader’s smoking elephant helmet thingy over has made my Sunday. 

23A27489-10F6-484C-91C9-F67533FB780A.gif

In some ways, I really hope Vader didn't have any warning that was going to happen.

But in other ways, I really, REALLY hope he did.

On 1/5/2020 at 12:38 AM, King Pitcos said:

Can't believe his last match is some tag team shite, just shows how much NJPW hate the fans. Hopefully it's a bait and switch and on the night he'll have a proper retirement match with John Cena.

Does Liger have a salmon pink helmet, so to speak?