Jushin Thunder Liger

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

I remember loving the Wrestling Channel's mini video that seemed to play quite often, featuring the already mentioned iconic theme.

I was mesmerised by his look when Eurosport used to show New Japan featurning Gordon Solie and Oliver Humperdink (of all people) on commentary during the early 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skfrncg-0GQ

I saw him wrestle at Preston Guild Hall, 1986, when he was ‘Fuji Yamada’. Twice against Rollerball Rocco. Both scraps were barnstormers, to say the least, blood all over the place. Their bouts on YouTube are tame by comparison. He was super-over with the crowd, everyone loved him. The only grappler more popular was Big Daddy.

I knew non-wrestling fans in awe of him. He made one PROUD to be a wrestling fan. And that was all when he was just a pre-Liger “snow bunny”.

I was disappointed when he became masked Liger. I preferred the Fuji Yamada gimmick better. Wish I’d had the opportunity to advise him, I could have steered him down a better career path.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, SuperstarNeilC said:

Wish I’d had the opportunity to advise him, I could have steered him down a better career path.

I think he did alright without you tbh.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperstarNeilC said:

Wish I’d had the opportunity to advise him, I could have steered him down a better career path.

"So what you need to do, is start a load of shitty threads with videos and absolutely no context"

23 hours ago, SuperstarNeilC said:

Wish I’d had the opportunity to advise him, I could have steered him down a better career path.

*Firstly, he was a handsome man. Wrestling needs these good looking boys, like Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson. They make sympathetic good guys the crowd likes to get behind.

*With his eyes visible along with facial expressions it’s easier to connect with the audience, build an emotional bond with them.

*Good looking guys attract women to the shows, who drag along their boyfriends, increasing box office takings.

All the above are negated by wearing a mask.

Also, wearing a mask reduces peripheral vision. Ligers mask even worse, with the eye mesh. There’s no way a wrestler can GO 100% with a mask on. Especially a scientific aerial style. (The most effective masked wrestlers are the slow-moving bruisers).

*Masked wrestlers become boring. A real face is more interesting over the the long term. Even the best masked men, Kane, Mysterio, Kendo Nagasaki had to unmask to refresh their characters.

*Blading is more effective without a mask. Blood flowing down a clear face is more dramatic, pulling people closer into the match.

*Yamada had a perfect physique. V-shaped, slim but bulky enough, strong shoulders, huge biceps. A pleasing and inspiring physique that people like to look at. Even pro bodybuilders respect his build. All that was lost with the full body suit.

Thunder Liger was a unique colourful and wonderful character, one of the best ever. I just contend he could have been even better without the Liger gimmick.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, SuperstarNeilC said:

*Masked wrestlers become boring.

He wore a mask for 31 years. I think he did alright for himself without your advice.

21 minutes ago, SuperstarNeilC said:

There’s no way a wrestler can GO 100% with a mask on. Especially a scientific aerial style. (The most effective masked wrestlers are the slow-moving bruisers)..

Literal thousands of luchadores can provide a counterpoint to this nonsense.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

I never got past the line about Robert Gibson being good looking myself. No doubt he got a lot of action in the 80s. Either because girls wanted to get near Ricky or they heard the legendary stories about Robert packing a hosepipe that arrived in the locker rooms 15 minutes before the rest of him. But good looking? 

9-CE303-B8-775-E-4-CE4-AB69-031-A7-B595-

I don’t know. I’d say that’s a prime example of masks being necessary sometimes in wrestling. 

Anyway, Liger being the man even in the face of Sasuke’s woeful botch;

4550D67C-D1D1-4957-8973-4ECA618D6A37.gif