Jushin Thunder Liger

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, SuperstarNeilC said:

Those luchadores would have done better without the masks.

Yet history shows countless examples of luchadores' careers going downhill after losing the masks. 

The idea that anyone can look at Jushin Liger's career and honestly think that there's anything he could have done better is bonkers, but the idea that he could have done better by sticking at playing Frankie Yamada and not the gimmick that gave him decades of longevity is utterly insane.

16 hours ago, SuperstarNeilC said:

*Firstly, he was a handsome man. Wrestling needs these good looking boys, like Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson. They make sympathetic good guys the crowd likes to get behind.

*With his eyes visible along with facial expressions it’s easier to connect with the audience, build an emotional bond with them.

*Good looking guys attract women to the shows, who drag along their boyfriends, increasing box office takings.

All the above are negated by wearing a mask.

Also, wearing a mask reduces peripheral vision. Ligers mask even worse, with the eye mesh. There’s no way a wrestler can GO 100% with a mask on. Especially a scientific aerial style. (The most effective masked wrestlers are the slow-moving bruisers).

*Masked wrestlers become boring. A real face is more interesting over the the long term. Even the best masked men, Kane, Mysterio, Kendo Nagasaki had to unmask to refresh their characters.

*Blading is more effective without a mask. Blood flowing down a clear face is more dramatic, pulling people closer into the match.

*Yamada had a perfect physique. V-shaped, slim but bulky enough, strong shoulders, huge biceps. A pleasing and inspiring physique that people like to look at. Even pro bodybuilders respect his build. All that was lost with the full body suit.

Thunder Liger was a unique colourful and wonderful character, one of the best ever. I just contend he could have been even better without the Liger gimmick.

Didn't we used to have a down vote button for stuff like this? The implication here being that Rey Mysterio wasn't/isn't an effective Luchador? Liger? Ultimo Dragon? Who?

And the idea that Rey ever removing his mask was a good idea is fucking bonkers. 

Edited by Wrasslin

• Paid Members

The idea that the guy who invented the fucking Shooting Star Press couldn't do a "scientific aerial style" because of the mesh on his mask boggles the mind.

Also, some of the most insane aerial moves of their respective times were done by masked wrestlers - I'm struggling to think how Aerostar and Mistico could've got many more flips or degrees or twists on their shit without their masks.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

Eh, there's debate on whether that was actually a botch or not. Either way, it made the match and finish even better, and I also will not stand for Sasuke slander.

Fair dos, never knew it might be a planned botch. If it was then it was really well done. 

• Paid Members

I don't think it was planned - I just don't know why you'd book that, and it's not like Sasuke then as now wasn't prone to face-planting off an ambitious dive. 

That spot is a good indication of why I dislike the "Botchamania" approach, though. I can't think of a more joyless way of watching a wrestling match than looking out for, and pointing out "botches". So long as no one's seriously hurt, and it doesn't affect the flow of the match, what does it matter? It's supposed to be a competitive contest, so things won't always work out as planned, especially the more ambitious spots. Liger and Sasuke's recovery, if that was a mistake, adds to that match far more than if it was another flawless springboard move. 

3 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I don't think it was planned - I just don't know why you'd book that, and it's not like Sasuke then as now wasn't prone to face-planting off an ambitious dive. 

That spot is a good indication of why I dislike the "Botchamania" approach, though. I can't think of a more joyless way of watching a wrestling match than looking out for, and pointing out "botches". So long as no one's seriously hurt, and it doesn't affect the flow of the match, what does it matter? It's supposed to be a competitive contest, so things won't always work out as planned, especially the more ambitious spots. Liger and Sasuke's recovery, if that was a mistake, adds to that match far more than if it was another flawless springboard move. 

100% agree with this. I think you learn more about how good a worker is with how they recover from these mistakes. Daniel Bryan is GREAT and just pouncing into something else when a spot goes awry. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I tend to go either way on it. The way Liger is positioned and his mannerisms, and it all leading into the finish, seems way too perfect. But then again, as previously pointed it out, it is Sasuke we're talking about and he isn't exactly known for being a perfect flier.

Whatever the story behind it is, it's fantastic. 5 seconds after Sasukes slips, he hit's a quick 'rana, gets the three count and the venue explodes. Men and women are visibly crying with joy. It's amazing. A perfect example of an emotional rollercoaster.

Perfect.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Yeah, I always thought it was a legit cock up on the springboard from Sasuke. Regardless though, it’s how they handled it, Liger especially, that made it work. With lesser wrestlers involved that could’ve killed the match but they turned it into a positive. 

• Paid Members

3 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

A tribute act on the circuit in Hull called Justin Lager

The second beer I make this year is going to be called Jushin Thunder Larger.

I'm tempted to go for bad news browns ale third, just so I can walk off and leave the rest of the team mid way through.