The Mandalorian (spoilers)

Onyx2

• Paid Members

Absolute banger of an episode. I am glad he has a name, plus it means they have to make a load of new toys now he has a name. The marketing juggernaut rolls on!

Dawson was as good as I had hoped, I loved the emperor's digs. That shot of them on the bridge before throwing down was beautiful. I honestly thought for a second he may have left Grogu there and was pleased they haven't pulled the trigger on that yet. Hope we get more of Ashoka in season 3

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Watched the episode again with the Mrs and didn't clock first time round that the main henchman is Michael Biehn! They've had some ace cameos across both series.

I only realised it was him during the final showdown. I’d spent the rest of the episode trying to figure it out.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Watched the episode again with the Mrs and didn't clock first time round that the main henchman is Michael Biehn! They've had some ace cameos across both series.

Criminally underused but great to see him. 

I mean, we're getting an Ashoka series, I'd put money on it. 

Fuck me with a sarlaac. That was remarkable television. Seeing Filoni's vision in live action didn't disappoint. I was surprised how suddenly she appeared in the episode but it was worth it.

Another great episode which added quality to the series. It's just a video game being carried out... 

Grogu (?) Great choice. Also loving the reasons why she won't train him.

Thrawn? Shit the bed. It just gets bigger and better.

Jedi Ninjas and Samurai Showdowns, that was peak Star Wars. Throw the western stand-off with Mando and Biehn and it was everything I love/loved about the universe. Dawson was bloody great, I’ve not seen her in much since her wonderful boobies were out in Alexander but I hope she gets all the work and spin offs she can because as a casual viewer that was the freshest a Jedi character has felt to me since day one. Great episode.

• Awards Moderator

Good episode with lots of answers and lots of questions.

Baby Yoda is Grogu and was actually training at the Jedi Temple (how tiny must he have been then?!) but who saved him and where’s he been the whole time?

I didn’t want him and Mando to be separated but I didn’t want Ahsoka to not train him either. It wasn’t going to be a conclusion with there still being 3 episodes (and a season 3) but she could have gone with them and they’d be a trio. Wonder if anyone else will show up on Tython ... next week, or the week after?

Thrawn though! Ahsoka went off looking for him and Ezra at the end of Rebels and clearly didn’t find them in ... however many years it’s been. Who could play Thrawn in live action?

People (wrong people, because all Mando is good Mando) have been wanting more big-picture episodes and this delivered that for sure.

Season finale of Mando and beskar spear, Bo-Katan and Ahsoka vs Gideon and Darksaber, Thrawn and Boba Fett? Hell of a trios match, that.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Really good episode again. It’s being touted as the best so far, but that could be down to people getting over excited about Ahsoka’s debut, which don’t get me wrong, was great.
The main complaint I’ve seen so far, because apparently there has to something to moan about every episode, is that two of her head-tails were “too short”. Is that really the level that we’re at now?

The blending of the Western standoff between Mando and Kyle Reese while a Kurosawa-esque sword battle goes on elsewhere, fantastic stuff.

Interesting thing I noticed on IMDB is that Temuera Morrison’s listing has changed from Boba Fett to ‘Cloaked Figure’. Could mean absolutely nothing as I think it’s fairly unanimous that that was Boba Fett, but it leaves the door open for them to go in a different direction if they choose to whenever they revisit that part of the story

2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

The main complaint I’ve seen so far, because apparently there has to something to moan about every episode, is that two of her head-tails were “too short”. Is that really the level that we’re at now?

It's Star Wars fans. I'm surprised they've actually been this excited and not boycotted it over it not being the voice actor etc. They're a petty bunch.

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

It's Star Wars fans. I'm surprised they've actually been this excited and not boycotted it over it not being the voice actor etc. They're a petty bunch.

I’ve seen complaints about it not being the voice actor, about the (mostly found to be false) allegations made against Dawson, and now against the head-tails not being long enough. 

The character had longer ones when she was in Rebels (I think with that species they get bigger the older you get?) and these are Clone Wars length. They’ve explained that it’s for practical purposes - movement in live action being different to being animated and it just not being feasible - but some people are still outraged. 

Even if it was none of the above I’m sure there’d still be something they’d complain about. You just can’t please some people.

• Paid Members

Ashley Eckstein is a great voice actress but she's a short, unremarkable plain looking woman who looks nothing like Ahsoka Tano. There is no amount of movie trickery that would have made her look like a powerful, physically strong, noble and wise Jedi master. Dawson is perfect for the role. She looks like Ahsoka and carries herself exactly right for the part and her voice isn't hugely different from Eckstein. It's the perfect casting.

Edited by LaGoosh

Yeah I've watched the episode a few times now and I think it's about as perfect casting as they could have done for that character really. I loved Ashley's work but it would've taken a LOT to get her to anything close visually. No point in them doing that just to keep a few picky fans happy who I doubt will stop watching anyway.