The Mandalorian (spoilers)

Onyx2

• Paid Members

Absolutely cracking stuff. I love how simple and fun this show is compared to everything else out there. Just has this "gee whizz, let's all go on an adventure" vibe which is really refreshing. Feels exactly like the stuff I used to watch as a kid on Saturday afternoons. 

Edited by LaGoosh

Holy shit, what an episode. Was happy enough seeing that Gammorean do the Undertaker dive over the top rope but lost my mind as soon as Timothy Olyphant strolled in wearing Boba Fett's armour. The whole show has such a cool look to it and it feels like India Jones: The Western, just great fun but well written.

I don't even care that some will say it's all just fan service, that reveal at the end had me pointing at the screen and screaming like a kid at Christmas.

The best thing about the reveal is that we don't actually know what it was.

Cracking stuff. I always have time for anything with Timothy Olyphant and this was so simply and well structured and told. Sometimes the constant dropping of Easter Eggs makes everything feel small but I had a lot of fun with this episode.

8 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

The best thing about the reveal is that we don't actually know what it was.

I, and the rest of the internet, are assuming it's Boba Fett. Olyphant had his armour on (jetpack looked wrong though), although they didn't play up to that, although you'd maybe assume Mando would have recognised it. It could be a massive red herring but I genuinely hope it's not and they're doing something loosely based on his escape from the Sarlaac in the Mandalorian Armour books.

2020 has been shit, seeing aged Boba Fett in his even more haggard armour teaming up with Mando would make up for it.

Edited by cobra_gordo

6 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

I, and the rest of the internet, are assuming it's Boba Fett. Olyphant had his armour on (jetpack looked wrong though), although they didn't play up to that, although you'd maybe assume Mando would have recognised it. It could be a massive red herring but I genuinely hope it's not and they're doing something loosely based on his escape from the Sarlaac in the Mandalorian Armour books.

2020 has been shit, seeing aged Boba Fett in his even more haggard armour teaming up with Mando would make up for it.

I feel like we'll get to Boba, but I also feel like it'll take more time to get there. Mando appears to be very much part of the story that Filoni wants to tell, so I'm still not convinced it isn't a clone or something, especially if it is going on with Ahsoka and Sabine's story. I suppose I'm most happy that there are possibilities to both explore and subvert.

Pure star wars and as addictive as crack. So much to unravel in 52 minutes and a stellar performance from Olyphant. There's not one dislikeable thing to this series and it plays the balance between fan service and a show for Joe public very well.

I have never liked the hype behind Boba Fett and still prefer his story to have ended in the sarlacc but his armour did give me a mark out moment. That, coupled with the appearance of who we can assume is Fett got me a tad excited... Lots to think about. 

There's actually tossers online boycotting didney because they won't release at once. I am glad it's being drawn out as it generates discussion, excitement and brings a bucket load of joy to the shitfest that has been 2020. 

Roll on next week.

Fuck me, that was amazing. Kind of wish I hadn’t watched it so late last night because I wanted to watch it again straight away.

Someone mentioned a few posts back about how it’s hit just the right amount of fan service to satisfy those, yet is completely accessible to a casual audience too, and I totally agree with that.

As for fanboys wanting the full series and their “boycott”, fuck them, they just want to be the ones to go “well I’ve watched it 3 times already, so I’m clearly a bigger Star Wars than you” and will watch it regardless. You could put out an episode per month and they’d still watch it, so fuck them.
We’ve been spoilt with complete series being available at the push of a button, but when it’s done this well, weekly episodic is the way to go. As @LaGoosh mentioned, I’m actually look forward to the following week knowing there’s a new episode coming and getting talk about it with someone knowing your watching at the same pace, rather than someone steaming ahead

It was Tremors meets Star Wars featuring another Olyphant lawman, probably my favourite episode so far. The best thing about the Boba reveal is that we’ll definitely head back there and get more Olyphant. Give me Star Wars Justified!

The weekly drip feed makes the show better in a way that just dumping it all in one go would. The format is perfect just as long as they move the story a bit more frequently than they did last series. 

• Paid Members

Loved it! My wife complained about why he stayed to fight rather then continue his search, but I see Mando as the space littlest Hobo. I loved the nod to Boba’s jet pack malfunction in ROTJ. But does anyone know who’s pod racer engine the Marshall used for his vehicle?

51 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I loved the nod to Boba’s jet pack malfunction in ROTJ.

Such a great touch. In the world they've built, I can imagine Mando taking one look at Fett's armour and going, "Fuxake. A Jetpackmaster 2000. Guy wears scrap and thinks he's a bad ass. Still, if he pisses me off, I'll see if the old jolt glitch still works. Heh."

Obviously Boba’s a big deal in the fandom, but what's his standing in the Star Wars world? A deliberately defective clone of an arse hole who helped populate the biggest war in centuries that gifted the galaxy to the Emperor, who then went on to pal up with the galactic big bad for a couple of carbonite trades? It'd be fun for the big reveal to be ooooooh for the fans, but everyone in the Star Wars verse to be *shrugs.

• Paid Members

Boba Fett is the most overrated character in the franchise. “BuT hE lOoKs So CoOl” yeah, but what did he do? Absolute joke of a character! I hope Mando ends up giving him the old Han Solo Cantina treatment to be honest. Funnily enough I said to my wife after the Marshall appeared that Boba was an awful character. It’s a hill I’m happy to die on

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Boba Fett is the most overrated character in the franchise. “BuT hE lOoKs So CoOl” yeah, but what did he do? Absolute joke of a character! I hope Mando ends up giving him the old Han Solo Cantina treatment to be honest. Funnily enough I said to my wife after the Marshall appeared that Boba was an awful character. It’s a hill I’m happy to die on

This reminded me of one of my favourite SW pictures. Totally agree btw. 

Screenshot_20201031-193216_Instagram.jpg