Jump to content

The Mandalorian (spoilers)


Onyx2

Recommended Posts

  • Awards Moderator
Posted

Can’t get over how naughty Baby Yoda was being scoffing all that frogspawn. I’m very disappointed in him!

Good on Peyton Reed for making more things with lots of bugs in. Including presumably what was the drum playing ant from Ant-Man 2 playing Sabacc in the cantina.

  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Posted

Another enjoyable episode, The Child eating the eggs was adorably cute. Have to admit, as a glorified arachnophobe, the CGI spiders looked pretty cool but got a kick out of Mando and the X Wing pilots blasting them like they were nothing

Posted

Second episode felt like a bit of a mish mash, like a couple of ideas they couldn't string out to an episode so tagged them all together. I love that in this SW universe, some of the stuff any other show would pitch as really cool is regarded as a piece of junk. The Razor Crest looks bad ass... but it's garbage. Really enjoyed the skirmish with the other bounty hunters, with Mando thinking on his feet with only half his kit. I also loved the XWing pilot reveal. Not two young rebel space cops, but just a couple of shlubs on patrol. The grabby spider showdown was brilliantly paced, though, even if they did write themselves into a corner and ex machina their way out of it. Solid filler. 

Oh, and I think I'm the only person who thinks Baby Yoda is a little shit for eating all those frog's eggs. They're her last hope at kids, you greedy fuck!

  • Awards Moderator
Posted
3 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

 

Oh, and I think I'm the only person who thinks Baby Yoda is a little shit for eating all those frog's eggs. They're her last hope at kids, you greedy fuck!

I’m with you! Proper dick move. The first time was excusable as he didn’t know any better but to keep doing it? I hope this isn’t the start of a ‘little shit’ phase.

I still love him though, and gasped in horror at the fall he took off the speeder bike at the start.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I'm in team "the child is a little shit" mould. Chowing down on the eggs and then the spider sacs as well. 

Posted

Some have referred to this as a filler episode, which I think is a bit harsh. It has peaks & valleys throughout the series, and after that fantastic opening episode, you were never going to maintain that level, so bringing it down again was the right call.

Posted
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Some have referred to this as a filler episode, which I think is a bit harsh. It has peaks & valleys throughout the series, and after that fantastic opening episode, you were never going to maintain that level, so bringing it down again was the right call.

The term "filler episode" is thrown around far too much these days. Just because something isn't action packed every week it doesn't mean it has filler episodes. All good series should be like a rollercoaster. You don't stay at the top constantly. You need to take the viewer through that journey.

Posted

See, when I called it a filler I meant more that it was a stop-gap from the main timeline. The show seems to follow a video game formula, like episode 2 was a side quest from the main mission of them getting to the other Mandalorians. That formula worked quite well in series 1 when Mando was doing odd jobs to earn money and upgrade his gear and gain experience. In episode 1 of this series he unlocked Boba Fetts armour because he completed a challenege.

There was nothing wrong with them doing that, it actually built my anticipation for episode 3 and it sure as shit beats those episodes of The Walking Dead where folk just walked along train tracks for whole episodes.

Posted
1 hour ago, cobra_gordo said:

There was nothing wrong with them doing that, it actually built my anticipation for episode 3 and it sure as shit beats those episodes of The Walking Dead where folk just walked along train tracks for whole episodes.

Oh yes, those episodes of The Walking Dead would be my main example of true 'filler' episodes from recent years. Those seasons were far too long for no reason and those episodes did little to nothing to build actual anticipation.

  • Awards Moderator
Posted
2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Oh yes, those episodes of The Walking Dead would be my main example of true 'filler' episodes from recent years. Those seasons were far too long for no reason and those episodes did little to nothing to build actual anticipation.

I'd go to Netflix's Defenders series for some true filler. Iron Fist and Luke Cage and that lot filling 13 full hours per season when the story didn't need to be ... anywhere near that.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Really good episode again this week. Definitely sowing the seeds of the longer, bigger story of the show. I'm all in on Mando taking some role in a Mandalorians vs Imperial Warlord extremists war for the fate of Mandalore. Sasha Banks role was much smaller than I expected, she was perfectly acceptable. Really cool that the actress who voiced Bo Katan in the cartoons plays her in The Mandalorian. Also a big fan of Deadwood actors turning up every other week. That's 3 so far, hoping EB Farnum turns up soon. 

Posted

That was a cracking episode. Made a weird out-loud whooping noise when Bo Katan and pals turned up. I agree with @LaGoosh, if they're going for Mandalorians vs Imperials as the climax of this series I'm all for it. 

I'm still loving the balance between popping fan boys with recognisable creatures but in a way that they make sense to and without jeopardising the the story, of course there's going to be frog people and squid heads and mon calamari on watery planets. It really adds to the world building and overall atmosphere.

As soon as the latest episode ends I'm desperate to see the next so they're obviously doing something right.

Posted

That episode flew by, 

Interesting with the split of the Mandalorians revealed this week, I think that could be something that could play out later on in the series/going forward. It appears all the Mandalorians hate the Empire, but the lot in it this week didn't seem to have the dislike of the Jedi that the cult group from season 1 have.

Posted

Liked the reveal that the mysterious, honourable Mandalorians we were introduced to last season are the remnants of what has always been depicted as a terrorist group. Wonder how deep down the hole they go with that?

Posted

I'm re-watching rebels atm and marked like a bitch when Bo Katan turned up, even Mrs wideload commented on when she blasted the fuck out of everything.

Easily the best episode of the series so far and reflected the first episode because you had the right balance of fan service and solid storytelling. 

The mentioning of the Jedi also managed to get a whoop from me.

Mon Calamari wearing jumpers ftw.

After a shit day at work, all is right with the world. This is the way.

 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...