Forgotten by History

gmoney

• Paid Members

In May 1992, Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine's Love Album went straight in at number 1 on the UK album chart. They had 12 singles in the UK top 40. They once tackled Philip Schofield to the ground on stage at the Smash Hits Poll Winners Party and were in tabloid headlines. They are almost entirely forgotten today, even less of a reference than Ned's Atomic Dustbin. 

What else has been almost entirely erased from the public consciousness despite once being pretty big?

@Astro Hollywood once pointed out that there were 14 series of London's Burning, yet no one alive could tell you what any of the characters were called or any storyline. 

Just now, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Wasn't one called Vaseline?

I really, really hope there was, and I'm not just subconsciously associating firemen with a popular anal lubricant.

I think he was the one who married about 4 different women all called Michelle. Clearly the inspiration for Otis Lee Crenshaw 

• Paid Members

Katie Hopkins was in I'm a Celebrity, prior to her gimmick change. She was fucking boring, barely said a word and the camp mates cried because they couldnt understand why she was voted off. That's like hearing Mick Foley submitted to Hercules in a squash in 1986. This mental cow had a prior career as a bit of a bore. Wish she stayed there.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

2 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Katie Hopkins was in I'm a Celebrity, prior to her gimmick change. She was fucking boring, barely said a word and the camp mates cried because they couldnt understand why she was voted off. That's like hearing Mick Foley submitted to Hercules in a squash in 1986. This mental cow had a prior career as a bit of a bore. Wish she stayed there.

I'm pretty sure she fully made her heel turn on an episode of This Morning, I remember making a daft post equating her with Triple H after it happened.

• Paid Members

I couldn't tell you what Vaseline looked like, or what he got up to. 

Memories are coming back though, considering I didn't watch it directly myself (my parents watched it, and I'd usually be in the room, but I'd be reading or something).

There was an episode with a new recruit, and they hazed him by tying him to a ladder and putting him face down in a paddling pool.

One of the fire fighters had a disabled son, with deformed arms/hands. They humiliated some women in a supermarket after she assumed he was mentally retarded as well.

I could never side with the little bastard though, because after pouring ketchup (or possibly HP sauce) on his dinner, HE LICKED ROUND THE BOTTLE OPENING!

I can also remember in later series when viewing figures were dropping, they had the female fire fighter wearing less and less. 

Also, The Love Album is great. "Do Re Mi, So Far So Good" is a corker. 

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, gmoney said:

In May 1992, Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine's Love Album went straight in at number 1 on the UK album chart. They had 12 singles in the UK top 40. They once tackled Philip Schofield to the ground on stage at the Smash Hits Poll Winners Party and were in tabloid headlines. They are almost entirely forgotten today, even less of a reference than Ned's Atomic Dustbin. 

Christ, I was borderline obsessed with chart music from 1989 through to the mid-90s and I have absolutely no recollection of them whatsoever. I mean this is KLF era as well, right?

KLF fascinate the hell out of me. I guess they're a little forgotten by history because they deleted their own catalogue. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Crime Traveller? 

Deservedly so. In fact the 90’s seemed to have an influx of sci-fi Ish dramas created because X-Files was a smash hit (Even though it was Brisco County Jr which was supposed to be that years big thing). None of which lasted that long.

Space precinct, VR5, Space Above and Beyond, Earth 2, Bugs, American Gothic, Seawatch DSV. Must be some other corkers I’ve left off.